OLED - Thoughts?

Options
This one has my interest:
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65B6P-oled-4k-tv

OLED, 4K, 65" and a price of 2K seems like the deal to beat. Thoughts?

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    For the money it's very nice
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Looks like the 65" is $2800 marked down from $4000. Probably indicates a new model is coming out soon, but the B6 model seems to have all the latest tech in it. No 3D capability in this model though, if that matters.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    3D for home theater us dead. The dollars have spoken. OLED is very nice and I believe LG is the only manufacturer that has embraced the technology in the larger screen size.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    OLED looks great, uses less power, gives you deep blacks like a plasma screen.
    Most important feature now on TVs is HDR, if the unit doesn't brag about HDR then move on.

I have installed several LG OLEDs and can say its the best TV yet.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I love my LG OLED. Best TV I've ever had - no regrets. I'm also somewhat familiar with the Samsung SUHD line, which is LED and also super nice.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I would trust the longevity of LED before buying OLED. OLED gives a great picture but the failure rates are very high. Sony is proving that LED is not obsolete and has nowhere to go but up and will likely compete with the black levels of OLED within the next decade. I admit that those LG screens draw me in, but I don't even think about them once I sit down and watch my Sony.

A man who does his homework. ^^^

I agree with all Skip said. I researched them to death and he's right, the failure rates are pretty high. The nature of the screen, while it does produce the best picture imho, has a shorter life span than other technologies. The web sites of professional calibration pro's say that it is nearly impossible to calibrate an OLED screen due to the nature that the pixels are not stationary and keep moving/changing. They also, because of the very reasons they produce a great HD picture, don't do so well on standard cable channels of 1080i or less.

That said, at the 2k entry price they have come down to, it may or may not be worth it to you. Just realize, they are expensive to fix which makes them throw aways if something major goes wrong. Which means too, buy the longest extended warranty you can get.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Nice Avatar! Go Bucks!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sony just released the Z-Series sets and they seem to be quite impressive. The higher end sets are as good or better than the OLED at quite a price premium.

I suspect the OLED sets to come down even more, naturally they will over time but Panasonic has an OLED display now so there's starting to be some competition... but again a bit more than the LG deals right now.

I would suggest if you don't need a set right now, to wait for the dust to settle. All the 4K technology is improving and if you want 4K then you will need a set that upscales to that resolution at a level of quality that will satisfy you.

The 4K sets look nice in the stores, with the high bit rate material being fed to them, but get them home hooked to your cable then I would suspect things to change in terms of quality.

FWIW....I didn't want to pull the trigger this year on a OLED, too much coin for a rapidly changing and improving technology. So I grabbed a 3 year old plasma and had it calibrated and the picture is stunning. Not as bright as a LCD but it's in a darker room, should be good enough to hold me over for a couple years. Again that's just me, but when you look for a set in the stores, ask them to feed the signal from the local cable provider...of course unless it's going to be a Netflix/Blu-ray dedicated display.

Hope that helps.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Sony released the very first commercial OLED 11" set and Panasonic is rumored to be entering the OLED market.
  • tonyb
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Sony just released the Z-Series sets and they seem to be quite impressive. The higher end sets are as good or better than the OLED at quite a price premium.

I suspect the OLED sets to come down even more, naturally they will over time but Panasonic has an OLED display now so there's starting to be some competition... but again a bit more than the LG deals right now.

I would suggest if you don't need a set right now, to wait for the dust to settle. All the 4K technology is improving and if you want 4K then you will need a set that upscales to that resolution at a level of quality that will satisfy you.

The 4K sets look nice in the stores, with the high bit rate material being fed to them, but get them home hooked to your cable then I would suspect things to change in terms of quality.

FWIW....I didn't want to pull the trigger this year on a OLED, too much coin for a rapidly changing and improving technology. So I grabbed a 3 year old plasma and had it calibrated and the picture is stunning. Not as bright as a LCD but it's in a darker room, should be good enough to hold me over for a couple years. Again that's just me, but when you look for a set in the stores, ask them to feed the signal from the local cable provider...of course unless it's going to be a Netflix/Blu-ray dedicated display.

Hope that helps.

Most 4k sets look good in stores as they run a pre programmed set of material on them to enhance the picture. Playing regular cable channels can leave one somewhat disappointed when you get it home. All 4k sets are not created equal though and are not as plug and play as many would hope for. 4K TV's need some in home tweeking to look their best but the rewards are worth it.

That said, Sony still has the best picture out there for light or dark rooms. The improved picture quality is worth it with these 4k sets even if your not watching 4k material. I was watching Indiana Jones on cable over the weekend and the color rendition and clarity was just stupid good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    I've noticed that on my set too Skip. When a cable feed plays vintage video, almost unwatchable. Maybe it has something to do with 2 different quality video feeds in one picture and the tv can't adjust to both in one screen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I have a Samsung 4k UHD smart tv. I got a 55' for around $700 and the picture is great. I like LG but it seems their TVs have a high fail rate in general. I went through 2 LG HD LED TVs and the power supply went out on both within a year. Disappointing.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I have a Samsung 65KS8000 set to be delivered soon. I've always been a Sony guy when it comes to TV's but the reviews for the Samsung are overwhelmingly positive whereas the equivalent Sony's were just OK. Didn't consider OLED due to price.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I've noticed that on my set too Skip. When a cable feed plays vintage video, almost unwatchable. Maybe it has something to do with 2 different quality video feeds in one picture and the tv can't adjust to both in one screen.

On these 4K screens, I find the same thing on my Sony. I bet it's the upscaling.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have a Samsung 65KS8000 set to be delivered soon. I've always been a Sony guy when it comes to TV's but the reviews for the Samsung are overwhelmingly positive whereas the equivalent Sony's were just OK. Didn't consider OLED due to price.

That's a nice TV. Be sure to start a new thread with your impressions once you get it.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I've been very impressed with my Sony 4K TV in my second system.

Upscaling and picture quality is very good and it was not expensive. If I was buying for my HT, I would have gone "higher end" but for the 2ch system, it's plenty of TV.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Samsung and Sony are the leaders in upscaling, and lets face it kids, the majority of what you'll be watching will be upscaled.

Had a Samsung led in the bedroom, power supply failure in just over a year. That kept me away from their 4k sets.

Samsung 4k screens are bright, and very reflective, almost like mirror. Sony screens are brighter than plasma, but retain that great color rendition with their triluminous displays. I can't recommend them enough if your used to what you got with your old plasma display.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    I don't know kids, all pro reviews say the LG OLED is killing the Sony in picture quality.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    LG OLED is killing the Sony in picture quality. I have the lg OLED, took it out of the box hooked it up, great stock picture, it replaced a Hatchi plasma that sits atop my dresser.. I'm looking for a dead Sony on the floor, nope, it's in my office functioning
    as the monitor.. life's great!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    My LG OLED is now over 6,000 hours. Still looks fantastic to me.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    I am so close to getting the 65B6P, but I keep talking myself out of it!
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Bad news is Panasonic is getting out of the consumer TV market according to some reports, however I do not know if that is true.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I don't know, but my new Sony is amazing me with its picture. Seems like it is doing what Panasonic is saying in the above link.

"full-array direct-lit LED backlight with Backlight Master Drive™ — controls the panel's LEDs individually for unparalleled picture contrast and black levels"

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15875XZ9D/Sony-XBR-75Z9D.html?tp=60890
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    If either Sony or Panasonic are installing LED's for each individual LCD pixel,that would definitely go a LONG way towards solving the black problem for LCD displays.
  • tonyb
    Options
    So....Black levels Matter ? lol

No body is arguing that Oled 4k sets have the best picture around right now. It's the longevity of the panels that we question. The next best picture though, is the Sony 4k sets, particularly their upper lines.

That said, I'm not too comfortable either with power supplies and their longevity in LED sets. If the industry is dead set on making TV's these days throw aways after a few years, then it only dictates one should make that throw away a cheap investment. Which is why I have a hard time throwing more than 1500 at a TV.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I thought IPS screens have been around for a long, long time...

I remember the 65" version of my Sony TV switched to IPS panel, and to many that was not a good thing.

I'm assuming Panasonic tweaked the tech to improve it, but I do remember that IPS panels are not that cheap to make and consume a lot of power.

If LG keeps improving the OLED design and keeps being able to drop the prices, I don't think this Panasonic screen is going to be competitive.

Besides, I thought LG made the panels for Panasonic?
  • Paradoxex
    Options
    I see there's a building consensus that Sony's new line is really good.

Why are these LCDs considered better than the Samsungs? Is the evidence just anecdotal at this point? I find TV reviews to be especially difficult to decipher: so many sites are clearly just industry fluff masquerading as critical reviews.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    I see there's a building consensus that Sony's new line is really good.

Why are these LCDs considered better than the Samsungs? Is the evidence just anecdotal at this point? I find TV reviews to be especially difficult to decipher: so many sites are clearly just industry fluff masquerading as critical reviews.

The differences to me, and I did a lot of research and viewing in person, is the Samsung to me has an overly bright picture that makes colors pop out at you. They are also very reflective in the screens. Meaning, whatever room it's in even when the TV is on, will reflect like a mirror to whatever else is in the background of the room.

Well, not quite like a mirror per say, but reflective in that order. I also found the viewing angles to be a tad narrower on the Samsungs. Granted all Led's don't have a wide viewing angle to begin with. I just found Samsungs to be a tad narrower than the norm.

Like everything in audio or video, always helps to get a feel for yourself by physically hearing or looking. Take reviews with a grain of salt. Samsung makes a good tv, great picture, fast processors, etc., you just have to be a tad more careful on the room you place it in, viewing angles too especially with the curved screens....which look cool, but really cuts down on the viewing angles.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    It looks like Sony is due to deliver some UHD OLED sets in the second half of 2017. They're supposed to be cheaper than the current LG sets by a few hundred, if the rumors are true.

Maybe the increased competition will up the quality and lower the prices?

http://www.avsforum.com/rumors-of-sony-oled-tv-confirmed/?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=AVSForum.com_sold&utm_source=AVSForum.com20161208