Cover your eye's, I'm about to say The "B" word.....

Options
Yes, I did buy a Bose Wave radio yesterday...................but in my defense, it was only 50 bucks.
I wanted a table radio with a sleep timer to help out with my tinitus at night.
(music makes a decent mask to the ringing)
Come to find out, Wave's aren't very good for low volume listening, as the bass overwhelms the music.
To add to the problem, Bose, in their infinite wisdom (or cheapness) doesn't include any tone controls on this model.
They tell you to move the unit away from the wall if you want less bass.
I went online and found a guy who also agreed that the bass was a problem and found a mechanical solution, mainly popping off the faceplate and stuffing 4" of rolled up sock into the wave guide vent. (heh heh)
I'd experimented with foam air brake plugs in speakers before and decided to give it a shot.
After a good rummage through the closet, the closest thing I could find was an unused artist's luffa sponge (for blotting stencil designs).
I cut it to the 4" specified length and then to the width of the vent, then slid it into place and popped the grill back on.
Damn, if it didn't do the trick !
The bass was tighter and less boomy, but still very much present.
I'm sure my neighbor on the other side of my bedroom wall will appreciate the effort.

Comments

• Inspector 24
    Options
    They're very good at what they do, just horribly overpriced. Sounds like you paid about what they're worth. :open_mouth:
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Polkaguy58
    Options
    I woke up at 6 a.m. remembering that I had a more suitable material for that port up in one of my cabinets.
    It was a strip of open cell foam that one uses to seal off the window sash when installing an airconditioner.
    Of course, I couldn't go back to sleep with that factoid bouncing around my brain, so I got up, popped the faceplate off of the Wave, removed the luffa and cut a perfect, much smaller piece that just fit the opening to a tee.
    Damn if it didn't sound even better !
    My old Energy bookshelves came with such a port plug that you could use when combining the speakers with a sub.
    They reduced the lowest frequencies, but tightened up the midbass and killed the port noise in the process.