Best Entry Level Streaming device for Tidal?

I recently picked up a pair of LSiM703's with the latest f&f sale. I would like to slowly head them towards a two channel system since I already have a RTiA set up for HT.

I am interested in Tidal to stream lossless music.

I currently have a SC-65 powering them. I was wondering what you guys recommend as a streaming device that would be a good match. Budget is about $200. I am not opposed to getting a used one. I am open to all options except a computer.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Thanks for the options

I did not realize their was a tidal app for the iPhone

Can anyone comment on the quality using airplay to a receiver through the app versus a standalone streamer?

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Give it a try, if Tidal is the way you want to go; you can always add something down the road (@DSkip lists 2 good options)
    Keep in mind though, you wouldn't use a standalone music server to call people.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I use sonos and squeezebox which are modded and the sound is very very good.
  • teamjhertz
    teamjhertz Posts: 361
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the advice. I will use the phone for now and be on a look out for a good deal on the steamer
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    I've used a sonos, chromecast to a receiver, chrimecast audio to an integrated amp to stream tidal on the same system. I honestly can't tell the difference between them, and all are equally easy to use. That being said, like the Sonos iPhone controller better than the Tidal app.

Nevertheless, a cjromecast is $35... hard to beat.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have said this a few times but chromecast via its optical out, using bubbleUPnp on my cell sounds fantastic. BubbleUPnp supports tidal. It's in the app. It also picks up my nas. Right now the chromecast audio is $25. I got a toslink cable that was ok quality from Amazon for $7. For $32, it is hard to compete with for 5x - 10x the money.

I have also tried it via its internal dac after I set the chromecast to full range ( for the regular output for headphones or using a 1/8" to RCA cable ) it comes up as limited or reduced frequency output. It's not bad. I have heard worse for a lot more money. The digital out is still the way to go but again, for the $ you can't beat it.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Thanks for the tips on the chromecast.

I will do some research
  • Be sure you are looking at the "Chromecast Audio" and not just a Chromecast. Unless you will be using an avr.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Another option is Raspberry pi, with dac anf picoplayer which is exactly like Sq ueezebox players.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I've seen squeezebox touches go on eBay recently for as little as $150, which is an excellent deal! The internal dac is supposed to be very good for the money, and sb are still very easy to use and run tidal on.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • There is a Touch for sale on Audiocircle. No affiliation with the seller.
  • Thanks for all the insight
  • Links to product that I am using for Tidal Streaming using Raspberry Pi 3. I purchased the Pi 3 from Amazon and the DAC/Reclocker combo with power supply from Allo. The OS that I am running is picoreplayer. I was up and running Tidal hifi within 15 minutes and the think that took me the longest to do was setting up Tidal to stream through Logitech server.
  • Additional information on my Tidal setup with Raspberry Pi 3 which I had purchased from Amazon. The DAC is from Allo with Kali Reclocker combo and power supply. The software is picoreplayer. It took me 15 minutes to setup and the hardest part was getting Squeeze Server setup to stream Tidal.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    I use my squeeze box B/C its awesome and I love that AKM DAC.
    I also use Sonos.

As of right now because of the MQA Im using my MacBook and Music Streamer II DAC.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    edited January 2017
    I bought Chromecast audio yesterday and I don't see an optical output (toslink).
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • rooftop59
    I bought Chromecast audio yesterday and I don't see an optical output (toslink).

Like on some macs, the rca doubles as an optical out. Grab an 3.5 to optical cable non amazon and ur good to go.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Is the onboard DAC of the Chromecast any good? I'm connecting it with the minijack to RCA into a Yaqin integrated amp.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • I don't have any gear with toslink.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • rooftop59
    Is the onboard DAC of the Chromecast any good? I'm connecting it with the minijack to RCA into a Yaqin integrated amp.

It's decent, i think about like the old squeezeboxes (not touch). Nothing to write home about. But using an external dac is where the magic happens for the money...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is the onboard DAC of the Chromecast any good? I'm connecting it with the minijack to RCA into a Yaqin integrated amp.

None of the dacs on these cheap streaming devices is going to set your world on fire. A separate dac is almost a must have for these devices if you care about anything more than casual listening.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    If you do use the internal dac,go into the chromecast software or app and change the output mode to full. By default it sets to small or narrow. I can't remember the exact wording they use. The internal dac is ok and sounds better then you would think for a 35$ piece but the toslink is where it shines for sound.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Just learned squeezebox touch were discontinued. Why would they do that? I was going to recommend one. I have two and will never let them go.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited January 2017
    erniejade wrote: »
    If you do use the internal dac,go into the chromecast software or app and change the output mode to full. By default it sets to small or narrow. I can't remember the exact wording they use. The internal dac is ok and sounds better then you would think for a 35$ piece but the toslink is where it shines for sound.

I think most would be really surprised by the sound quality from the internal DAC on the chromecast, it's actually pretty decent. But for 35 bucks and toslink to an external DAC I have to agree it's a dam bargain. And I'm constantly wowed by the quality vs money ratio, and how flawless it works.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2017
    Yeah...on its own it isn't terrible. Definitely could benefit from a quieter background. Using it's optical out to almost any other dac would be much improved however.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Any recommendations for an external DAC?
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • rooftop59
    Any recommendations for an external DAC?

Soooo many options. On the used market you can get something like arcam rDAC or a peachtree DAC itx for around $200. New are lots of solid options for under $400. As with anything, it all depends on your budget and what options you want...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • WagnerRC
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Just learned squeezebox touch were discontinued. Why would they do that? I was going to recommend one. I have two and will never let them go.

The modded squeeze boxes that I have purchased are so good and if you you a decent dac it is a value.
  • WagnerRC
    Keep an eye open for a mf dac at a decent price. They work well.
  • Is the onboard DAC of the Chromecast any good? I'm connecting it with the minijack to RCA into a Yaqin integrated amp.

I am running that exact setup with mini jack to RCA into my Yaqin and I have no complaints. I know its not high end but I am happy with it. I think its rather impressive for a 25.00 device. I got mine on sale.