SDA-2B Caps

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It's not. The letter, in this case "J" indicates the tolerance, which is +/- 10%.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Ahhh. And so, A=1%, B=2%, C=3%,..., J=10%?

Question about moving that winding: Will I need to reapply hot glue?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's not. The letter, in this case "J" indicates the tolerance, which is +/- 10%.

ok so I'm not nut's. I thought that was how I learned it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Ahhh. And so, A=1%, B=2%, C=3%,..., J=10%?

Question about moving that winding: Will I need to reapply hot glue?

Buying the bigger boards from Dave (westmassguy) will make life much easier for this project. The factory boards will be a tight fit.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I used my original boards at first then purchased the larger gimpod boards when I decided to upgrade my inductors. The only issue with the original boards was fitting the SDA caps but it works. The gimpod boards sold by Dave are better quality and easier to work with but not absolutely necessary jmho.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• jdjohn
    Options
    I'm going to try with the stock boards first, but good to have a backup. Besides the old caps being different on my two boards, the undersides of the boards are also different...in color. One is the 'typical' green, and the other is blue.

I should receive the new caps tomorrow from Parts Connexion - pretty fast shipping from Canada. But I think my honey-do list for the weekend is going to get pretty full with Thanksgiving next week and company coming into town to stay with us :/
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Those boards were definitely built a year or so apart, I would guess your serial numbers tell the story
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• jdjohn
    Options
    In with the new! That big-a$$ 40uF cap (top right) was the only real problem child. The second pic shows how I had to extend the lead a little on that one.
    d937odvutbd7.jpg
    rm9m9evt5aoa.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Just one suggestion, strap that 40 down.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wanted to, but there isn't an available hole in the PCB. Is it okay to drill one?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sure, as long as it doesn't break a trace. Another option is to use 3M VHB tape under the cap and between the cap and the inductor frame.

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    Options
    I used 3M double-sided foam tape. You can see it under the 40 in the pic with the scabbed lead wire.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yes, I saw that. It's ok, but nowhere near as good as VHB.

President of Club Polk

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    The vibration from the movement of the drivers may loosen that big capacitor causing noise and possible connection issues. A zip strap will add extra insurance.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• jdjohn
    Options
    Good to know for next time, especially since I was a little disappointed in the foam tape I used. I did put additional pieces between the caps and the inductor after reading your tip. One piece actually touches the inductor wire coil, but that should be okay since the wires are insulated. Adding those pieces gave it that extra bit of stability I was looking for, so thanks Jesse for that tip!

While I was in there, figured I might as well give the PRs the Dynamat treatment.
    8tehqofxji6z.jpg

All sealed-up now and burning in with Muddy Waters. Sounding better and better as the caps mature...should be interesting. I'll go back in later and add Dynamat to the mids, and THEN I have two pair of Monitor10's that need the same treatment all around with caps and Dynamat...and maybe veneer... Thanks to all for your input along the way, especially the F1nut, Jesse!

Funny out-take last night during this project: I was attempting to make a DIY adjustable soldering iron by using a dimmer switch/outlet combination in a switch box. Apparently I hooked up something wrong because when I tried to test it with a portable light, I tripped a breaker. Luckily all was well after resetting the main breaker.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    The vibration from the movement of the drivers may loosen that big capacitor causing noise and possible connection issues. A zip strap will add extra insurance.
    Thanks, Randy. I might do that when I go back in to treat the mids with Dynamat. I just wasn't sure about drilling through the PCB, but hey, I guess they did it when they made it, so what's another hole or two? ;)
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    This might help when you start to drill. Nice work by westmassguy on my crossovers.

c2f71ve9xojr.jpg
    xx4b3m9p7j2w.jpg
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Thanks, TennMan. A picture is very helpful. I knew that one of those straps on the 40 had to be very close to the edge. Looks like you got the TL upgrade. I see how Dave mounted the 2.7 resistor underneath to make room for the additional cap on top...very nice. Now that I know drilling through PCB is routine, I will feel comfortable doing it myself, and can be creative as to where I place holes.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Yes, Dave did the TL upgrade for me. He does really good work. Once you have your cap upgrades completed and you have spent some time with them, I would recommend you consider replacing the large conductors with lower DCR inductors. Dave recommended it to me and it made a good improvement in the bass for the small amount of money spent. I used the Erse Super Q inductors but there are other brands out there that may be even better if you are willing to spend a little (or a lot) more money.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet