Sennheiser Orpheus Headphones

Has anybody actually auditioned these?

I just learned that an acquaintance in my small New Hampshire town sells these headphones for Sennheiser -- at $55,000 per set.

He says they are phenomenal, unbelievable, totally immersing . . . . .
Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    For 55k...they should also clean your house, mow the lawn, swab the pool, prepare every meal in five star fashion, serve you said meals, draw you a bath and then send you off to slumber after making your naughty bits tingle to the heavens. Then plug them in and listen to some tunage.
    My .02
    YMMV
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Uhhh too rich for my blood.

I've seen them and read about the Orpheus. I'll stick with my lowly BW P7. Haha
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    lightman1 wrote: »
    For 55k...they should also clean your house, mow the lawn, swab the pool, prepare every meal in five star fashion, serve you said meals, draw you a bath and then send you off to slumber after making your naughty bits tingle to the heavens. Then plug them in and listen to some tunage.
    My .02
    YMMV

You mean the Carrera marble box they come in isn't enough for you? :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    edited November 2016
    Joey_V wrote: »

@Joey_V,

You better not audition them! You'll likely get the bug! :)

PS: If you're a serious buyer, I think the sales person will fly out to let you give them a trial run.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    if your going to get these cans you will want to buy WOO audios headphone mono-blocks to go with them
    23g2fmgnjwzp.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V wrote: »

@Joey_V,

You better not audition them! You'll likely get the bug! :)

PS: If you're a serious buyer, I think the sales person will fly out to let you give them a trial run.

You're right I better not...

I was into headfi before... Had sennheisers 650 and Sony mdr5000 and headamp gs1 amp.

I'm afraid of dipping my toes again
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    voltz wrote: »
    if your going to get these cans you will want to buy WOO audios headphone mono-blocks to go with them
    23g2fmgnjwzp.jpg

Headphone monoblocks... Wow
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    you should check these out, pretty awesome in how their made and work, can use several different tubes sets due to the design.

http://234mono.com/
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Moose68Bash
    voltz wrote: »
    you should check these out, pretty awesome in how their made and work, can use several different tubes sets due to the design.

http://234mono.com/

Cheap at half the price! :)

I've never been able to enjoy music using any kind of headset. I'm not sure why, because the sound is good, even with the consumer-grade stuff I've used. And, appreciate my Polk noise-cancelling earbuds for airplane rides.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    I've listened to the former top dogs, the he60 and he90.
    I prefer the top end Stax myself.
    Electrostatic is a whole different animal.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I've listened to the former top dogs, the he60 and he90.
    I prefer the top end Stax myself.
    Electrostatic is a whole different animal.

I think I'm going to play ignorance is bliss on this....

Happy with my P7.
  • I've never been able to enjoy music using any kind of headset. I'm not sure why, because the sound is good, even with the consumer-grade stuff I've used. And, appreciate my Polk noise-cancelling earbuds for airplane rides.

Because it is a very unnatural and fatiguing way to listen. Your ears are not designed to work in isolation and your brain is taxed with trying to make sense of a sound field formed between your ears rather than in the space in front of and around you.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I know a guy that had 3 sets of the HE-90.......work of art.

w3mn79s2il0l.jpeg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk