Do I hear laughter?

Coming across the river from NJ.

It must be Sal, now that the Garden State raised the state sales tax on gasoline yesterday.
At least they still pump it for you... :o
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• does anybody remember laughter?
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 14,811
    does anybody remember laughter?

heh, beat me to it.

I am surprised (and sorry) to see NJ gas prices skyrocket. We always stopped at "The Vince" on the parkway on our way to and from New England from MD for cheap gas and a bio-break. No more, I guess.

When we lived in Northern California (1989-91) gas there was cheap (and even cheaper in Southern CA). Hard to believe/imagine when one looks at gas prices there today.

Gas in NH ain't (generally) terribly pricey -- I guess that's why the industry keeps arrangin' little "accidents" to the pipelines to make sure the prices go up.

:(

I was thinkin' about addin' some sails to the RAV4. We coud put a hinge on the mast for low bridges, sort of like the boats on the Nile.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,218
    What's the damage on a gallon of gas in the jersey state? Here in Southeast Michigan, best price I can find $1.94 / gal
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    PS Audio AC-12
    Wires MIT S3.3
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,468
    GlennDog wrote: »
    What's the damage on a gallon of gas in the jersey state? Here in Southeast Michigan, best price I can find $1.94 / gal

Man I wish. We're pushing $2.70 here in WA.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,149
    edited November 2016
    Well, how else do you make up for short falls caused the big tax breaks given to the elite? Why you make the middle class take up the slack.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,948
    edited November 2016
    $2.11 for low octane in Colorado. $15 fills my car from near empty.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,111
    Just remember...you can't spell manslaughter without the laughter.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited November 2016
    Sorry to hear that. Those prices were super cheap when I went down to Jstas's in mid-September, darn cheap! But real estate taxes in the garden state are something else, rates that would attract our N.H. retirees, and most of our Floridians, no! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,511
    It's not because of big tax breaks for the elite, it's because our corrupt Democrat dominated legislature couldn't manage money to save their lives. And don't try and argue with me. I've lived here all my life, I am WAY better versed on NJ politics and what goes on here than the vast majority of you.

Gas up the street from me went from $1.89 to $2.16 a gallon overnight. That's about 4 cents over the tax rate increase of 23 cents.

The regular stuff doesn't seem that high. The 93 octane I need for my truck was 2.48 a gallon on the cash price. Now, it's 2.93 a gallon.

It's going up everywhere again because of that pipe explosion in Alabama, though.

And mhardy, if you were filling up an interstate rest stop then you were not getting a huge break on gas prices. NJ still levied it's taxes per gallon but the are a number of other costs from the fed level in regards to interstate rest stop gas prices.

Also, Sal can laugh all he wants but there is a proposal to levy a usage tax on all electric vehicles via the yearly registration so they can get road use revenue from those folks too.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,499
    Jstas wrote: »
    Also, Sal can laugh all he wants but there is a proposal to levy a usage tax on all electric vehicles via the yearly registration so they can get road use revenue from those folks too.

Of course they will. After giving all those tax breaks and incentives to buy one they ARE going to get that money back and then some. They still use the same roads so they should pay the same as all the gas cars.

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,699
    I give up. I'm going to use my Bicycle from now on. They ain't figured out a way to tax that... yet lol....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,456
    edited November 2016
    Illinois has a crap-ton of taxes added to gasoline. I think were are 2nd only to Cali, but NJ might give us a run for the 2nd place spot.

Our roads and infrastructure are still s-h-I-t and that's where that money is supposed to go. They wanted to increase it even more, but it didn't pass.

I filled up with premium from BP for $2.59 but they are always the cheapest. Most get $2.89 for premium here in Rockford.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,218
    GlennDog wrote: »

I shoulda been more specific, that was for regular.
    When I have to gas up my Harley with premium, it's a buck more
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    PS Audio AC-12
    Wires MIT S3.3
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 14,811
    edited November 2016
    Regular in the vicinity of Manchester ("ManchVegas") NH is about $2.11 (and 9/10ths) per gallon. At least, that's what it was last night when I filled up :)

For whatever reason, gas in the Manchester/Concord vicinity is about the cheapest in the state. It runs about a nickle more out here in the sticks (and it fluctuates quite a bit).

The prices at stations along the freeway(s) tend to bounce up on weekends to soak the southern New Englanders, New Yawkahs, and Connecticuttians who come up, summer and winter, to see what the earth can look like when it hasn't been leveled, paved, and concreted :)

I reckon the prices'll be up 25 to 40 cents due to the pipeline mishap soon, though.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• LasareathLasareath Posts: 55

Just so you are aware. If you register your EV in NJ under a business like I have then starting in Jan 2014 you have to pay Road tax. $147 a year. Comes out to paying an equivalent of 15,000 miles of road tax. The unfortunate part is that I only drive 13K a year. So i actually pay more Road tax than a Gas Car that drives 13K miles a year.

My main speakers, Polk Audio 1.2TL's Signed by Matthew Polk

http://www.Lasareath.com/
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,211
    So ... I dunno .... drive around the block for 5.6 miles per day, year round, to get better tax/mile results ?
    I guess I don't see what the problem is.
    Maybe a tax subsidy would help ?
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
    Still using fossil fuel to make that electricity.....just saying
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,493
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Just so you are aware. If you register your EV in NJ under a business like I have then starting in Jan 2014 you have to pay Road tax. $147 a year. Comes out to paying an equivalent of 15,000 miles of road tax. The unfortunate part is that I only drive 13K a year. So i actually pay more Road tax than a Gas Car that drives 13K miles a year.

How about non business owners, do they still pay the road tax upfront ? How about the added costs to electricity. Ever look at your home electric bill and see all those added charges. Why are those not added to charging stations ? Or is it ? I don't know, just askin'. Maybe it's price is all inclusive ?
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 1,450
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Agreed...and where are all the spent batteries going to end up?
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,037
    kharp1 wrote: »

Like an ostrich, they bury their head in the sand and pretend reality isn't about to eat them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

So ... I dunno .... drive around the block for 5.6 miles per day, year round, to get better tax/mile results ?
    I guess I don't see what the problem is.
    Maybe a tax subsidy would help ?

Traffic. That's the main reason I bought the EV. The EV does not burn anything in traffic. Driving from NJ to NYC In 3 to 6 hours of traffic a day used to burn a lot of gas. In an EV I use hardly any fuel sitting in traffic.

Electricity made from 100% Coal is 5X cleaner than Gasoline from Well to Wheels. My Electricity is 50% Coal, and 50% Hydro, Solar and Wind. So my car is 10X cleaner than a Gas Burning car just saying.
    tonyb wrote: »

How about non business owners, do they still pay the road tax upfront ? How about the added costs to electricity. Ever look at your home electric bill and see all those added charges. Why are those not added to charging stations ? Or is it ? I don't know, just askin'. Maybe it's price is all inclusive ?

They do not pay it. A couple states they do. For 1100 miles I pay $46 In Electric per month. For the same 1100 miles in my old Hyundai I paid $200 to $300 a month which included maintenance. Maintenance on my EV is $100 a year. So I pay around $675 for 13,000 miles. EZ pass in NJ & NY gives me a discount of 10% and I can drive in the HOV lanes by myself.

For public charging I have 3 plans with different providers and they are less expensive than what I pay on my driveway.

Solar farms. Batteries are lasting longer than previously predicted. Chevy's CEO just mentioned two days ago in 7 years they never replaced one Volt Battery and some Volt owners still get the same exact range they did when their car was new with 330,000 miles.

Elon Musk stated 6 months ago that 100% of the materials in the battery is recyclable.

F1nut wrote: »

Like an ostrich, they bury their head in the sand and pretend reality isn't about to eat them.

If you look it up Ostriches really do not put their heads in the sand.

See above about recycling batteries.

Well, that settles it for me...because a CEO said it I'll believe it. It has to be true!
    Main System:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Dual SVS SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,493
    I believe the batteries recycling to be valid. So are mufflers and gas tanks, you see anyone hauling those down to the local recycling center ?

Part of the reason used values on these things are so low, is because the batteries are expensive to replace. A 7 year old chevy economy car, electric, is worth probably less than the cost of the batteries. Junk yards may recycle the batteries though, along with the rest of the car.

A typical economy car from Honda or Toyota can last 20 years or more if taken proper care of. Keeps the cars out of the junk yard.

Battery technology is getting better though. I'm sure Sal will attest to that. Though if I'm finding myself having to sit in traffic for 3-6 hours a day, I might re-access where I live rather than the car I drive.

legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    For the record most every battery made is made from 80-90% recycled matter. One of the reasons vehicle batteries do not last as well as they did 30yrs ago when they were 50% recycled matter.

Sal's batteries are a whole different story. Electric vehicle's come and go have for 40 yrs.
  • maximillianmaximillian Posts: 2,018
    That's why I wished the "charge" stations that changed the entire battery had caught on. No need to worry about bad batteries since you get a different battery pack at the charging station. A robot swaps the entire pack and stores fresh charged battery packs. If a battery pack is "bad" it simply puts that aside to be discarded. The cost of replacing batteries could be amortized on the price of the battery change.
    Fisker just announced today 400 miles range and recharge in 9 mins.

Tesla is working on a charging system that uses a liquid coolant while it's charging.

Many rumors have been floating around that Tesla will have 500 miles in 5 mins.

These are all rumors now. My Car accepts 50kW's the Tesla SuperChargers are 135 to 150kW's but people are working on 300 to 350kW chargers.

That's why I wished the "charge" stations that changed the entire battery had caught on. No need to worry about bad batteries since you get a different battery pack at the charging station. A robot swaps the entire pack and stores fresh charged battery packs. If a battery pack is "bad" it simply puts that aside to be discarded. The cost of replacing batteries could be amortized on the price of the battery change.

When that CEO takes a company that everyone said will fail but now 8 years later is worth more than GM and BMW and very close to beating Honda then you better listen when he says something.
    Well, that settles it for me...because a CEO said it I'll believe it. It has to be true!

• ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,111
    When that CEO takes a company that everyone said will fail but now 8 years later is worth more than GM and BMW and very close to beating Honda then you better listen when he says something.

You mean Ford. Honda still has a considerably higher net worth than Any of the American manufacturers.

But the problem is, Tesla Motors' net worth is being fudged quite liberally. Because Elon's accounting team is rolling his personal net worth into that number as well. It is still impressive but not as impressive as it is being made out to be.

As a related side note, the batteries may be recyclable but the initial construction of those batteries requires as much, if not more rapi ng of mother Earth than fossil fuels.
    All you need to do is look at graphite mines, lithium salt mines, manganese mines (the cathode in the battery of your Leaf), cobalt mines (can you say more child labor by percent than China as a whole?)...heck, the nickel and aluminum mines used in the other various cathode constructions is monumentally clean by comparison.

EVs are the future...I won't deny it. But let's stop trying to pretend that it is the "cleaner" option, shall we?

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000

Elon said himself his company is highly over valued and he can't figure out what the market is doing valuing it so highly. On tech like this I'm in the wait and see camp.
    Main System:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Dual SVS SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

• mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,211
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't our government offer a little bit of financial assistance to Tesla Motors ? Besides subsidies to buy their cars, I mean.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+