Dimensional woofer design of the 2.3 TL

gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,739
edited October 2016 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Didn't really know how to title this, but something came to mind regarding how the dimensional circuit is designed with the 2.3 TL. Back when I had an issue with the IC cable and that was actually a legit problem.....the cheap RCA cable I had barely offered much in terms of a good SDA soundstage. I found that the soundstage became as good for the most part as my 2B TL after a cable swap but overall the 2B just does this more effortlessly than the 2.3 TL. This isn't about the IC cable but it's what sparked my curiosity.

This doesn't mean I don't like the 2.3, it's just different. I spoke briefly with Jesse about this and he pointed out a few things about the design of these two speakers but I have a few other thoughts and that's the fun part of experimenting and science as a whole.

The 2A, 2B, 1.2, 1C, CRS, prob a few others... all have one dimensional driver per one stereo driver, but the 2.3 TL has one dimensional driver per 2 stereo drivers...maybe this is a good thing....not sure.

So I understand the dimensional drivers play at half the volume....I assume this is possibly with the drivers wired in parallel vs series or is this done through the crossover?

Would it be possible to increase the volume of the two dimensional drivers? How could this be done? Using a more sensitive driver, changing crossover components?

Maybe this can't be done and shouldn't. .... just thinking out loud and curious for the most part.

Maybe just 1 or 2 db, or is this already designed into the speaker?

Again, I think the 2.3's sound fantastic, but it's in my blood to always rethink things but not so much to reinvent the wheel.

My thoughts on this are only coming from thinking on the fact there is half the amount of dimensional drivers.

Just looking for thoughts on this, at the same time I do enjoy learning how all the crossover components play a role.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    excellent question.....My thought is its 1/2 sound so you can't hear it but it still cancels the cross-talk effectively. If it is much louder will it cancel more of what it shouldn't be cancelling
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My thought is its 1/2 sound so you can't hear it but it still cancels the cross-talk effectively. If it is much louder will it cancel more of what it shouldn't be cancelling

True, but for the other SDA speakers, the dimensional drivers at half-volume are working with one stereo driver, the 2.3 TL has to work with two stereo drivers at the same volume level instead of only one.

I'm not complaining about the 2.3's, but merely curious as to the design and "what would happen if" they could be tweaked.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    On the 4th and 5th generations, the Stereo Circuit is 8 ohms nominal, and the Dimensional Circuit is 4 ohms nominal. Depending on the model, they used a combination of 6503/6510 8 ohm woofers, and 6511 4 ohm woofers. The 2.3tls have all 6510 woofers. The stereo woofers use a series/parallel arrangement for 8 ohms, and on the dimensional side, they're wired in parallel for 4 ohms nominal. The only way to increase the output of the dimensional woofers, would be to change the Low Pass Inductors from #18 gauge to #16 gauge or less. This would lower the DCR (DC Resistance), and theoretically increase the woofer's output. Doing this however, will throw off the design parameters, because the Impedance (AC Resistance) of the circuit will also change, and possibly the crossover point. The output of the stereo and dimensional woofers were determined by engineers a lot smarter than most of us, and through extensive listening tests. On the other hand, changing the Sub Bass Drive Inductors will increase the bass on the dimensional side, starting around 150 Hz, and increasing gradually to maximum output between 50 and 75 Hz.
    If they were mine, I'd leave the Low Pass Inductors alone, but would consider changing the Sub Bass Drive Inductors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/