Something for you tube lovers...

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,081
edited October 2016 in The Clubhouse
I don't normally publically disclose where I get some of my tubes from, but these are such fantastic tubes and since I have my own personal stash of these I'm going to point you in the direction

These are among the best 5751/12AX7's on the planet

http://www.nostubestore.com/2016/10/raytheon-5751-windmill-getter.html
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    National branded: $80 ea. or $170 for pair :*
    [
  • heiney9
    Options
    Tempting isn't it? That's a good deal. Brent Jesse sells them for $250/pr. You just don't see them that often at tube dealer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Thanks heiney9.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • heiney9
    Options
    My post sounds snotty. I am always happy to direct people looking for tubes. I just don't put the information out there for all the web searchers to see is what I meant. Always glad to help a fellow Polkie spend their money!!!

H9
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    Nice!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    H9,
    My Rogue mono amps call for 12ax7 input tubes, (1 in each mono).
    Assuming the 12ax7 has a gain factor of 100 that the 5751 has a 70 gain factor . . .
    Do you think it's ok to roll these ?
    How do you think the sound will be changed?
    Thanks for your input!
    G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2016
    Options
    miner wrote: »

Kind of a round about way to place an order via email, I popped on a pair, we'll see what happens.

*Edit* Transaction complete within 15 minutes, quick response from the seller.

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    H9,
    Assuming the 12ax7 has a gain factor of 100 that the 5751 has a 70 gain factor . . .
    Thanks for your input!
    G

I also have the M-180's, but have never tried the 5751 in them, this is a paragraph from an article based on a review of the M-150

"My first impression, which held up during subsequent auditions, was that at least with the stock tube complement the M-150 was not particularly tubey sounding. It didn't overly liquefy midrange textures, by virtue of its extended bandwidth, and it didn't romanticize the lower midrange. I could do without the euphonics, but I did wish for a more vivid harmonic color palette and a smoother presence range. There was no tube glare or gratuitous brightness, but a bit of textural grain broke through occasionally. It was time for tube rolling. In my experience, tube substitution is a necessity rather than a luxury with most tube amplifiers. My first avenue of attack was the 12AX7 in the phase splitter circuit because there was only one tube in this circuit and it was the first one in the signal path. My two favorites in this spot turned out to be the Telefunken “smooth plate” and the Sylvania Gold-pin 5751, which Mark O'Brien assured me would work fine in this circuit. The Telefunken extended the imaging virtues of the M-150 to a new level. It engendered a wonderful sense of space, a great feel for hall reverb, creamy smooth midrange textures, and expressive microdynamics. It was clear that the Telefunken was a truly great choice in this circuit. The Sylvania 5751 was also a winner, by virtue of its airy treble range, pure textures, and tight image outlines. Overall, I preferred the Sylvania by a slight margin due to its more neutral balance vs. the darker presentation of the Telefunken. But I did not achieve sonic nirvana until I replaced the driver circuit 12AU7s with NOS Mullard CV4003 box anode types. It took me a while to accumulate two pairs of the Mullard, but it was worth the wait. This is probably the finest 12AU7 type available today and it took care of the remaining items on my wish list; namely, more vivid harmonic colors and a smoother presence range. Now that's the way to make the KT88 output stage sing! The M-150 now delivered not only speed and stress-free dynamics, but also plenty of finesse. Complex passages were fully resolved and the music boogied forward with plenty of verve".

So, it looks like you would be good.

The 5751 works beautifully in my Jolida CDP, the 12AX7's always had too much gain for my liking, the 5751's are perfect in this application. I also roll them into my Phono Preamp with great results.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Thanks Mike!
    I'll place an order today . . .
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    H9,
    Thanks for your input!
    G

I use 5751s (usually RCA triple mica black plates, but have also used Sylvania and GE 5751s in it also) in my Rogue 88 Magnum and prefer the sound with 5751s. It really tightens up the imaging and bass in my 88.
  • heiney9
    Options
    I think with very few exceptions 5751's will work in any 12AX7 (ECC83) circuit.

Glad some of you popped for these. No affiliation, but these are really nice tubes that are very rare to find as true NOS.

If I didn't already have a quad of NOS units, I'd buy some more.

Please post some listening impressions when you guys get a chance. Be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

H9
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Will also check these out.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    miner wrote: »

Kind of a round about way to place an order via email, I popped on a pair, we'll see what happens.

*Edit* Transaction complete within 15 minutes, quick response from the seller.

Yeah, but, I agree as well that it was seamless and quick. Looking forward to getting my tub rig back up and running.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Thanks, H9; ordered one to try out in the Joule. Good comm from the seller.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Yeah I plan on getting a pair also. Right now I just have a single Raytheon Wind Mill getter 5751. Great sounding tube!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Not going to pile on too much about Uncle Kev, but some of his descriptions take exception and he generalizes a bit which stretches the truth a tiny bit.

Many of the tubes he says are from the 50's are most likely from the mid 60's and a few I disagree with his assessment of who made them when maker info is not there. Like a rebranded tube.

But we are all going on bits and pieces of information gathered from the internet and other sources and in some cases one can only make an educated guess.

I am by no means an expert on everything, but I have done a ton of reading and research over the past 7-8 years and for the tubes I use, I have a pretty good handle on just about everything out there w/exceptions of course.

I am going to inquire about the Brimar 6SL7's he has. He states they are from the 50's, but the construction and method of the markings make them from the mid to late 60's in all my research. The pic doesn't show the date code. I am going to ask him what the date code is so I can verify when they were made. The date code is there, just not sure what it is.

He will either answer me gracefully, tell me to get lost or just completely ignore me.

H9

• GlennDog
    Options
    Thanks H9!

Took delivery on a couple of these last week . . . so far, Impressive!

G
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Got mine,too. Great transaction.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.