Turntable build or not?

Options
Back in the 70's I bought a SME 3012 tonearm for $50. Now it is worth over a thousand. For years I had it mounted to a piece of plywood with a Connoisseur BD1 turntable kit. I don't know what happened to the turntable.

Now I am considering building another turntable from scratch but it will be expensive and I may be better off selling the SME tonearm and buying a decent turntable. Only thing is I really want to build this turntable.

It is a knock off of the Audiomeca Belladonna and will accept the SME 3012. It will use an ac sync motor with a Phoenix Falcon/Roadrunner controller. I have it modeled in SolidWorks ready to build. Once completed including the stand it will weigh in at over 250 pounds.

The SME needs to be reworked/rewired and I can get that done by smetonearms.com for $350.
The motor/controller/tach can be had for around $700.

Over a thousand and I have not put one part on the lathe or mill.

Once again to build or not to build?

Please talk me out of this B)
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    You're on the wrong forum for reasoning.
    Build the damn thing and stop whining :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I had an SME that I bought around the same time, mounted to a Technics 1200. Loved that combo, but I got divorced from it.
    I agree with MB - do it!

PS: I then bought an Infinity Black Widow that I really liked, which sits in storage today.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    If you don't, you'll be sorry down the road..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2016
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    It will use an ac sync motor with a Phoenix Falcon/Roadrunner controller.
    Once again to build or not to build?

Please talk me out of this B)

I built a heavy plinth Lenco idler drive with linear air bearing arm. I'd have to spend an insane amount of retail money to best it. I say go for it... I have a Lenco PTP5 started.

I was a beta tester for the 25 watt version of the Phoenix Engineering Eagle power supply. I also use the RoadRunner tach to control speed. You can spend more on a TT speed control but it doesn't guarantee better. Good info in his thread at diyaudio.

Automotive clear coat finish, Cadillac Black.

lenco_1-1.jpg

Got tired of the all black, did a maple wrap with walnut corner accents.

lenco_phoenix_eng.jpg

PE_controller_33rpm.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,474
    Options
    That's what I figured. Down the rabbit hole I go.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Somewhere around that time I had an SME 3009 with a Denon DP-75 platter. Man, I liked that set-up and it looked great. I've been told the newer SME arms are much improved but not sure about that. There is a classic beauty in the vintage arms
  • machone
    Options
    The new SME arms also have an improved price :#
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Arms can be high performers and be artsy at the same time. I regret selling my 12" Moerch DP6. It was available in black, chrome or gold plate. You could buy different weight arms to match any cartridge compliance.

ringspin.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    Options
    I met with the machine shop and they will do the work for their material cost only. I plan to submit the shop drawings for quotation and decide which direction to go.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Awesome! Can't wait to hear how it comes out!
  • machone
    Options
    Ok, after much research I am not building my own turntable.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    Instead, I bought a Pioneer PLX-1000. Mounted a Shure SC35C cartidge/N35X stylus.

yd2cymcbcoec.jpg

It's nice to listen the a good analog source for a change. :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4