Foam for NHT 3.3 2.9

Anyone on here own a set of NHT 3.3 or 2.9 with the foam for anti diffraction rotted or falling off? If so I have found a method of cutting foam that looks and sounds stock and is easy to replace. I can send you some of the ones I have for free. You must be a current member though. Pics.
P1030507_zpsjznyzxkt.jpg
P1030506_zpsxtbmigqa.jpg

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,306
    I never realized those came with foam anti diffraction strips.

You did an excellent job making those, that stuff isn't easy to cut and make it look good.
  • zarrdosszarrdoss Posts: 2,539
    Thanks, mine did not look that bad but was rotten anyway. I took the grill off one day and my finger caught it and a big chunk was gone. So I took it off and thought, it cant make that much difference. it did. I tried some weather stripping that was close but really didn't sound like it did. I made a metal template to the exact size and clamped it down on a plastic cutting board making it almost flat then used a rotary razor cutter.
    Ah, so that's how to do it. Thanks.
    I actually used a piece of MDF at first but switched after the first two.P1030494_zps2o17qx1y.jpg
    Did you make the metal template or have someone make it?
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 1,877
    Cool technique.

I have a little pair of NHTs (1.3a) in my bedroom setup that I've been enjoying for several years. They didn't have the anti-diffraction foam, however; that came with the 1.5 and its larger brethren. Always have had a jonesing for the 2.9/3.3, but there's zero chance they'd work in my house.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did you make the metal template or have someone make it?

I made it out of some 1/4" sheet bronze, it was pretty easy.
    agfrost wrote: »
    Cool technique.

I have a little pair of NHTs (1.3a) in my bedroom setup that I've been enjoying for several years. They didn't have the anti-diffraction foam, however; that came with the 1.5 and its larger brethren. Always have had a jonesing for the 2.9/3.3, but there's zero chance they'd work in my house.

Thanks, These were the one speaker my wife kind of objected to because of the depth. We actually re-arranged the living room to accommodate them easier. But I tried them in my 2 channel room and liked them better there. They can be a pain to set up and picky on associated equipment but when you get it all dialed in they really shine.
  • machonemachone Posts: 693
    Rotary knife on compressed foam! Nice job. Cutting foam rubber with a sliding knife blade is difficult even with a new blade.