Whole house media - any recommendations for a controller, sources, multizone amplifiers?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
My friend has asked me to help him set up his home system... and the dealer is recommending we go with Savant as the source controller. Anyone here have experience with SAVANT? Looks really cool... controls everything from lights, power, video and audio.

Also, recommendations for source for a 7.3.4 atmos based system? What processor and what 4K player?

We are looking at a massive system here...

This is a big project, it took me a while to even draw up the plans and the speakers that he would need, not to mention wiring, amplification and

So far - here is what we have:
Pool - multiple sonance speakers to avoid hotspots x 8
Downstairs patio - BW inceiling speakers x4
Upstairs balcony - BW inceiling speakers x2
Kitchen/breakfast/foyer/staircase/master bedroom/master bath/dining - BW inceiling speakers x 14
Family room - BW inceiling x5, SVS SB13U
Gameroom - BW CM10s2 (mains), BW inceiling x3, SVS SB13U (for 5.1)
Mediaroom - BW802D3, BW HTM1D3, BW inceiling x4, BW inwall x4, REL G1 x3

Amplification - Mcintosh 601 for mains in media, Rotel 1590 for center channel, Rotel 1585 amps x2 for media.
Amplfication for gameroom - Rotel 1585
Amplification for rest of the house - Rotel multizone/channel amps x 20 channels

Pre - not sure

Source - not sure

Controller - Savant

Just look it over and make some recs for pre/pro, source and give me thoughts on the Savant.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    If there's anything I have experience in it's buying 40+ B&W speakers to fill my house with sound.

Seriously, though, B&K is supposed to be coming out with a 16 channel multi zone amp.

http://www.cepro.com/article/cedia_2016_bk_components_returns_new_amps_from_sound_developments
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If there's anything I have experience in it's buying 40+ B&W speakers to fill my house with sound.

Seriously, though, B&K is supposed to be coming out with a 16 channel multi zone amp.

http://www.cepro.com/article/cedia_2016_bk_components_returns_new_amps_from_sound_developments

I think my experience is not so much with pre/pro, controllers like savant or crestron, and sources for multiformat such as an Oppo player that can handle 4K, BRay, cd, etc.

The speakers are pretty set, I don't think he's changing. We entertained the use of other speaker brands, but he likes the D3 and it's tough to pair a pair of Sonus Faber, Wilson, Focal with inwalls and inceilings for the media room.

I would love to listen to how this whole thing turns out, the media room with 3 REL G1 chained with 1 to the mains, 1 to the center channel, and 1 to the rears will be epic.

I walked his house since it is being built as we speak, and the whole place is just going to be superb.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    This is a big project, it took me a while to even draw up the plans and the speakers that he would need, not to mention wiring, amplification and

When he's spending that kind of money, why not just have an installer take care of it....Same with the source, pre/pro, etc...? Carte Blanche seems about right.

You're a busy man Joseph! Don't get dragged into his project. Just take advantage of it when he's done.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I agree with mbiron, when it comes to household electronics and 4K players etc the installer is the go to guy. It's not like he is on a budget were funds are tight and he needs the best value to performance. If it's too channel stuff though that's a diff story.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    As far as a 4K player goes, there isn't anything suitable on the market at the moment. The Oppo 203, and possibly the upcoming Sony 4K player would be a good source for 4K video content once those come out. The latest Amazon Fire TV will output 4K content, although content is limited. If an all in one source just needs to output an upscaled 1080P source to 4K and play networked music files, the Oppo 105 would work as both video source and music streamer, plus it has apps built in like Netflix.

The selection and installation and setup of the pre-pro and integration of the whole house system should be shouldered by the installer.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I just don't want him to be taken advantaged of since he's my buddy. I advised him on the speakers and amplification, but this pre pro and source and savant controller is foreign to me... Thought someone might have opinions or experiences here.

I wonder if he should wait a little on the video source, see what pops up next year as his house isn't done for another 12 months. He is looking at a Sony 4K projector but hoping prices come down or atleast a better model pops up in 12 months. He will also be doing a 4 screen matrix for the game room where you can drag and drop 4 video sources into each of all of the screens.

Some of this stuff is just foreign to me.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

When he's spending that kind of money, why not just have an installer take care of it....Same with the source, pre/pro, etc...? Carte Blanche seems about right.

You're a busy man Joseph! Don't get dragged into his project. Just take advantage of it when he's done.

Haha that's what my wife said... She goes "you're not an installer, is he paying you?"

I know for sure he owes me a steak dinner... And my dealer is going to owe me a lot more once this project goes through. I better get discounts and platinum customer service or whatever
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Also what's the best way to split audio sources? Like from a NAS?

I know roon can do it... But that's a subscription service? Is there hardware to split the source? I don't mean buying like 4 bluesound nodes and using that to split 4 sources independently... I mean am an a single Mac mini act as a multiple source?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You have a source. But you want to play 4 different tracks in 4 different zones in the house. How to split the source?
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options

That's a huge project and would take a considerable amount of time. And big projects always take more time than planned. I wouldn't think twice and go the installer route.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thorton wrote: »

That's a huge project and would take a considerable amount of time. And big projects always take more time than planned. I wouldn't think twice and go the installer route.

Yeah we have an installer, he's just having me double check his recs. I can source wire cheaper than the installer for instance.
  • Curtis_H
    Options
    You have a source. But you want to play 4 different tracks in 4 different zones in the house. How to split the source?

look into what Emergency Management does for their Tactical Operations Center(TOC), they have multiple video feeds on multiple screens, you are essentially doing the same thing, different TV channels sources, i.e. Sports, moves etc...... either on flat screen or projectors, different areas in the house.

Look into Network media servers as well. CAT6/7/7a/8 wiring in the house? network switch?

I've been in the military state side, overseas and even to Iraq and have seen multiple TV sources on multiple viewing screens, tv, projector, computer, in different TOC's, JTOC's. just don't know the details on how they did it or how it all hooks up.....or what equipment...
    Marantz SR 7009 Receiver
    Polk RTi12 (Fronts)
    Polk PSW505 (Sub)
    Polk CSi A6 (center)