Possible Value of RM-6750 speaker set.......???

Options
K_M
K_M Posts: 1,627
edited October 2016 in Speakers
Have a "Friend", that owns a set of the Polk Audio RM-6750 speakers, and he is talking about getting rid of them. He asked us what we would offer, as if we do not have enough speakers already!

They are 4 sats, a center, and a small subwoofer, and they look almost new. He said he paid like $399.99 or $499.99 for them new, or at least thinks that was the price, a 3-4 years back.

I listened to them and for what they are, very decent sounding, although not great obviously.

What would be a decent fair price to offer to him??

I was thinking maybe $225.00-$175.00 if he will go that low.

I would call them nearly new looking if that helps any.

Are they worth more or less?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    My friend bought those from
    Frys about 6-7 years ago for $200 plus tax. I helped him sell everything but the sub for I think 75 or maybe 85. Honestly I wouldn't pay over $100 for everything, the sub is horrible, the sats have no bass at all, lack clarity, and distort easily.

If you want a sub and sats there are lots of other options...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    edited October 2016
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    My friend bought those from
    Frys about 6-7 years ago for $200 plus tax. I helped him sell everything but the sub for I think 75 or maybe 85. Honestly I wouldn't pay over $100 for everything, the sub is horrible, the sats have no bass at all, lack clarity, and distort easily.

If you want a sub and sats there are lots of other options...

I thought they were decent for the size, but not great by any means.

He had it set up in his patio room and honestly it was not bad at all.

But I suppose with more listening.
    Oh he finally did find his book and box for them and all, and receipts, turns out he was honest, he found it was $399.99 Regular price, but he paid $169.99 for them at HH Gregg.

Not even sure I want them for sure, but like the compact size, and think maybe more like $90.00-100.00 is a fair price. They are truly like new.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    $100 tops. There is no resale value in satellite systems. It is a decent starter system. That was actually the first Polk speaker setup I bought.

Personally, I would be more inclined to snag the new Magnifi Mini when it releases. Its compact, easy to hook up, no receiver needed, and sounds much bigger than it is.

That's funny, they were going to be my first set. Wife told me I should use my B-Day money to get a bose setup, research took me to the Polk's for better sound/better value. I went to circuit city and listened to them and then the Monitors 30s, and it wasn't even close. Went home and ordered the M30s (which yes, I admit, it's partially my fault that there is no more CC lol).

I am a guy who does like surround sound more than Skip, and I would go for a pair of RT25is all day over that 5.1 setup. If you need small 5.1, go for a def tech procinema 600. I think ebay normally has it for around $400, and of course you can piece it together used for much less.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ya might pass on them, we have too much as it is, and was only interested cause it was Polk stuff.

I like the tiny size and look of the sats, and they sound is decent for how small they are.

It was more of a curiosity than anything else.

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    The Polk TL series sats are nice; RM-6750... not so much. They were my first purchase and lasted all of about 5 minutes and I knew there had to be better. Went right back to the store and exchanged them. Classic case of you get what you pay for.