Adding a 2chn amp to AV reciever

Options
I have a set of sda 1b's that I'm currently using in a 2chn system and I am considering using them in conjunction with my HT system by toggling between the 2 systems at the spks. with another set of wire using banana plugs.My AV amp is a Yamaha rxv1500 [100watts in 8 ohms] and I was contemplating adding a NAD [50 watt-8ohms] to power them in the AV system considering the 4ohm load
Since I'm not familiar with using the pre outs and the manual doesn't state if the aux amp need be of a equal power rating I'm wondering if this combination would be workable upgrade.And also what other considerations I should be aware of when adding a aux amp
Currently I'm using 10b's for rears and a PBS status for the center and the AV is used mainly for tv and cable movies,However I'd like to improve the surround snd for dvd and blue ray concerts.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    May want to look at a bigger amp. If you want to stay with NAD, the c275bee would work.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    While you can use that amp why? You are going down in power or staying the same if it doubles the power in 4ohm. When you use external amps through preouts you bypass all Internet amplification for those channels.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    Try the NAD...ill just about guarantee you it will handle the load better than the avr. Amperage, not wattage is the key here.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DollarDave wrote: »
    Try the NAD...ill just about guarantee you it will handle the load better than the avr. Amperage, not wattage is the key here.
    If the NAD is true to its pedigree, you should enjoy truer SQ.

Most AVRs, at best, struggle w/any loads below 8 ohms. At worst... well, you get the idea. And w/all those drivers, etc to control?!

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    While you can use that amp why? You are going down in power or staying the same if it doubles the power in 4ohm. When you use external amps through preouts you bypass all Internal amplification for those channels.

fixed it

Yes give it a try you have nothing to lose, but I would look for larger amp with more current and yes that AVR will struggle especially if all will be hooked up for HT use. you could let the magic smoke out.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited October 2016
    Options
    To pitdogg2:
    Insightful, agree, Like, LOL.

My phone allows me to click on just one.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    Many thanks for the advisements.In addition to the NAD I also have a Kenwood Basic M1 power amp,Being closer to the same wattage as the Yamaha would that be better suited for this application?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Pretty old one there. May want to get it checked out before you hook those speakers up to it.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately with the exception of video and a few avrs,due to stringent financial constraints my audio gear collection consists mainly of the vintage [goat boy verity] A SNL remember the 80's reference.So I'm left to rely on knocking on wood,But luckily, so far so good!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DollarDave wrote: »

This ^^^^

Use the front left and right pre outs on the receiver to hook up the amp. You also need 2 good RCA cables, not the red and white junk that came with a DVD player either. Easy peasy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Actually, You might want to start saving for a better amp, one with more current available. The Nad, while a decent amp, doesn't have a lot of giddy up in the power department, something those SDA'S thrive on.

Also, when using an external amp, the internal amp for those channels on the receiver are negated, not used, so you don't add that power together. However, an external amp free's up the receivers internal amp so that it can apply more power to the center and surrounds. Follow ??
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable