Remastered Pink Floyd Meddle

Options
Went to the local vinyl store last night thinking they would not have it a low and behold had one. I snagged it and ran home and put it on.

Sounded pretty awesome. I have been waiting on this for a long time.

Anyone else pick one up?

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was waiting. Is this a fresh "remaster" or is the one from 2012? put to vinyl?
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Not real sure. I'll have to check.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    inquiring minds want to know - maybe my favorite Floyd album.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• tratliff
    Options
    This is all I have been able to find now. At work and don't have it handy. I'll see what the album says specifically tonight.

Pink Floyd's Meddle on Audiophile-Grade Vinyl: Epic, Textured 1971 Masterwork Includes "Echoes," Remastered from the Original Analog Tapes by Bernie Grundman, James Guthrie, and Joel Plante
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for checking. I think the question still stands.
    OTOH, my CD isn't perfect sounding or anything. :#
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I pick up a brand new sealed copy of Meddle.

It say from Japan - EMI ems-80322 and its red colored vinyl and says 1971 "A harvest recording.

think I got it off ebay or discog
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^ @voltz your copy is an entirely different animals.

"The three new albums, as with each LP in the reissue campaign, have been remastered from the original analogue master tapes. "

"As for the new records, it's a completely different monster, since new masterings were created specifically for this campaign."

I was under the impression that some of the new vinyl was cut from the discovery mixes.

Obscured by Clouds seems to be getting good and bad "press." <- pun!
  • tratliff
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here is what I could track down. I am unclear if this is a new remaster or the remaster that RED references above. Album was released on Sept 26, 2016. Details:

hfws4c4rb4z2.png
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    Options
    thanks again. I'm hearing good things about this and OBC remasters.
    I played my Obscured By Clouds LP and CD last night. They sound fine to me.
    My Meddle CD isn't perfect on some of the songs so I might just pick it up...
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Has anyone heard anything about whether or not they're going to do the Wall on SACD?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I heard it was going to be a 27 CD for $550.00
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I heard it was going to be a 27 CD for $550.00

Ouch.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    here is some neat info

I like that Nick Mason thought Meddle & Saucer full of secrets would be good 5.1 mixes :)

http://soundbard.com/building-the-5-1-wall-producer-james-guthrie-discusses-pink-floyd-and-roger-waters-surround-sound-plans-at-academic-conference/
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tratliff
    Options
    I just read where Animals will be released on Nov 18th. My all time favorite. Cant wait.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd love to hear what people after they get it...
    The first two LP's remastered were great.
    I picked up Ummagumma and Meddle and was less impressed...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I'd love to hear what people after they get it...
    The first two LP's remastered were great.
    I picked up Ummagumma and Meddle and was less impressed...

Interesting...

Out of the first batch of releases I picked up Saucer, Piper and More. I thought they all sounded great.

I need an upgrade copy of Meddle and DSOTM, so I was hoping to hear that they would all be as good as the first batch. I'd love to hear some more reviews as well. (not that I don't think your's is valid Red :wink: )
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Now you've done it. :/ I'll have to give them a re-listen.
    I've got about 60 hours on the new DAC/Pre and moved
    to the Vincent phono pre.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Didn't we have remasters in 2012 (or close to that)?

I'm getting tired of chasing remasters....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Didn't we have remasters in 2012 (or close to that)?

I'm getting tired of chasing remasters....

Not on vinyl.

Other than The Wall and DSOTM I think.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So for me, the "new" Meddle vinyl does sound better but the
    surface noise negates some of the sound quality gain. Maybe
    the "UK" pressing is quiet.

Eric has a point. The best remaster is an equipment upgrade.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    So for me, the "new" Meddle vinyl does sound better but the
    surface noise negates some of the sound quality gain. Maybe
    the "UK" pressing is quiet.

Eric has a point. The best remaster is an equipment upgrade.
    Upgrades are important, yes!

But, I dunno, maybe it's just me, but there is a glut of re-masters some just on CD, some on SHM-CD/SHM-SACD, vinyl, 180g vinyl, different mastering engineers, different source tapes.

Some people rave about how good a remaster sounds, some don't. I've chased my share and just scratch my head how some opinions claim 'best ever' when in fact they are just louder and brighter.

I'm tired of the hunt. And my pocket book is lighter, yet I don't feel any sonic enrichment.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    I hear that. But my Meddle is beat, I need a new copy and one under $40.

The remaster is probably my best bet?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @hochpt21
    I think so. I'd look for a quality record pressing if it exists.

I feel the same way about Ummagumma but there is even
    less difference for me.

I moved my transparent audio Super RCAs over to the Vincent
    and have that running into the analog section of a Benchmark
    DAC2. Very good combo. Makes the old Rotel sound like a
    turntable costing thousands. >:)

• tratliff
    Options
    I understand the chase of re-masters. Seems to be just another money pit. Some are good some are just OK. When you have multiple copies of the same title it seems a little ridiculous.

But know that I have been waiting for Meddle and Animals since I got back into vinyl a couple of years ago. Sometimes you just have to purchase what you can get your hands on. I will be at my local store on the 18th just to see if I can get a copy.