Marantz SA8500

Anyone own the Marantz SA8500 and care to give me a quick rundown on what they think of it? Thanks.
If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Thanks DSkip, I have an SA8100 now that's starting to misread discs. I'll probably have it repaired so I'll have a spare.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I got an SA-8005 through DSkip and I have been very happy.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • decal
    8001 and 8005 sorry for the numbers mixup, thanks guys.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    Very nice player, musical.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have the SA-8005 SACD player and love it, I use it mostly as a transport for my CD's & SACD's, but I also like it's DAC for playing my digital files on my PC using a USB cable and JRiver Media and to me the DAC sounds really good.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • decal
    Well, I bought an SA8005 and sent it directly to Modwright Instruments for full on modifications. I'm fourth in line so it shouldn't take very long. It's more than I was planning on spending but this will more than likely be my last player as I'm getting "long in the tooth" as the old saying goes. I'll post back when I get it. Thanks for the participation folks.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited October 2016
    Congratulations, just curious is it the same modification that modright does on the Oppo 105's? I'm guessing you still got a big old smile on your face.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • decal
    Here is a link to Modwright's circle over on the AudioCircle website. He talks about some of the mods on the 8005 and compares them to the Oppo and Sony modded players.
    audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145655.0
  • F1nut
    decal wrote: »
    Here is a link to Modwright's circle over on the AudioCircle website. He talks about some of the mods on the 8005 and compares them to the Oppo and Sony modded players.
    audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145655.0

Confirms what I already knew. Marantz sounds better than Sony or Oppo.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Marantz never bowed out of the reference market like Sony or others did. They kept chugging through the rough times. It's still rough but, Marantz did there best not to bow out.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Not only have they not bowed out, but they have stepped up their game with the new 10 series.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

President of Club Polk