Tube buffer or DAC?

Options
Been thinking of cheaper ways to increase the sound quality of my 2 channel system. I really don't need a new amp at this time as my integrated has enough power for the room I have the 2Bs in. So I was wondering should I get a DAC or a Tube buffer (pre amp) then run that to my amplifier from my Ipad?

What do you think would yield best results?
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A dac would make a world of difference compared to a "Technics something or other CDP"
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Yeah that is just my CD player. Currently I only have the Ipad going from 3.5mm to RCA on the integrated Yamaha.

I had a cheap 16 bit DAC I connnected before but it didn't make much of a difference....however it was VERY cheap and not meant for high end audio so that is most likely why. Any good budget DACs out there? $200 or below.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Here is a real nice DAC for the money. These are like $500.00 new.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649299679-parasound-zdac-v2-dacheadphone-amp/
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Great deal indeed!

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    A dac would make a world of difference compared to a "Technics something or other CDP"

+1. Forget the tube buffer for now and get a nice dac for streaming from the ipad.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    You could get a grant fidelity and have both in one.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    I was also curious and had a Grant Fidelity tube buffer with a pair of 6SN7 tubes for a couple weeks, I placed it in between a Parasound d/ac1100 and a Marantz 2270 and concluded that I prefer the sound of the dac straight into the Marantz and just sold the buffer.

I didn't find it useful with my gear, i.e. Parasound players/dac and vintage Marantz...
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I think a good DAC would serve you best.I would look for a day magic or Peachtree audio DAC-iTx for your budget.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.