Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,434
    I'm about to head up there for the press conference. I'll be spending more time with them this weekend I hope and even more time afterwards. If they let me, I'll get some close-up pics tonight.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    Good question @cfrizz the tweeters are not as hot as RTiA. We are doing 2 channel as well as 5.1 demos here at CEDIA. I think these walk the line really nicely. The mid size towers will be at Best Buy but the largest tower will be at more independent shops.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
    Skip, will you be in tomorrow? I'm in a meeting from 9 until about 11 but free to say hi after.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,108
    edited September 2016
    Congrats on the new series. I am thrilled to see that Polk has finally gotten serious about marketing.

Love the "American HiFi" slogan.
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,479
    DSkip wrote: »
    Russman has ears I trust as well. Between his approval of this series and what I heard with the T-50, it looks like Polk has the right engineers on the job to pull Polk back into the limelight. I'm excited to be a dealer for them and hope this is a line I can really sell.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »
    I bet these babies punch way above their price point.

Russman stated "I wouldn't consider these entry level speakers"...."They perform way above the price"...."prefer the sound over the RtiA"

For those who do not know who Russman is, he used to work the major shows for Polk

Russman = good enough opinion for me. I'll buy them without a demo. They are certainly priced right and should be an upgrade to some LS-50's I have in a game room system (not my HT, that's for big boy speakers).
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,326
    Wow, I have to say, I really like the new look. More curious to hear how they sound now after reading of Russman's impression.

The design looks very clean and modern to me. I like the rounded edges on the chunky rectangular design. Love the new drivers and black bezel. Pleasing. Sturdy. Tasteful. Not cheesy or gimmicky. I like this much better than previous designs.

Really looking forward to hearing the sound quality reviews.
    Congrats on the new series. I am thrilled to see that Polk has finally gotten serious about marketing.

Glad you are digging the American HiFi. I just got off the stage for the press conference explaining where that came from. I'll post my presentation from the press conference later tonight. Check out these coasters we are using at the event. For those of you that come by ill have some set aside for you if you want them.

hm97ddef64ac.jpeg
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • "For those of you that come by ill" :o
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,591
    I'll pass on these. I do not like the way they look. I was expecting different especially with the Signature thing happening here. I expected a new reference level Signature model. These just fall in line between the lower end stuff.
    I'm sure they are nice and probably sound good especially for the asking prices but not where I would like them to be.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,155
    Budget, Signature, Reference, Luxury
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,815
    D2Lo wrote: »

Glad you are digging the American HiFi. I just got off the stage for the press conference explaining where that came from. I'll post my presentation from the press conference later tonight. Check out these coasters we are using at the event. For those of you that come by ill have some set aside for you if you want them.

hm97ddef64ac.jpeg

I need a set of those coasters. I'll buy them if possible.

The skinny center is very interesting. I wonder if it's more of a great center for a living room system with no expectations, or if it could hold its own in a semi- serious home theater rig...
    2 Channel
    Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold Cartridge
    Phono Stage - PS Audio GCPH
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - Krell KAV-250a
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,665
    Yeah I would purchase a set of coasters hook us up Skip! I suppose Best Buy might stock them around here if so I will have to check them out. I'm sure they will trump the T series, can't see them besting the RTIA series though.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,877
    Amazon has pre-order dates listed now. S35 Center appears to be available on September 19 along with the S55 floorstanders. The remainder have a release date on Amazon of November 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-American/dp/B01LW8H3NX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473982105&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+signature

I may buy an S35 just because I'm not aware of another center speaker quite like it.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Pioneer Elite SC-97; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 105D; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Samsung UHD 4K Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Parasound A21; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004; Music Hall MMF7 and PS Audio NuWave phono pre; Technics SL-1200MKII and PS Audio GCPH phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE pre and Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Squeezebox Touch; Wyred4Sound DAC2; MIT S3 cables
  • Strong BadStrong Bad Posts: 4,146
    Some initial thoughts from me on the new line.

They look real sharp! I like! Looking forward to hearing a demo. (Hint hint, i'm in Baltimore)

Some things I'd like to see based on what I currently have (RT800 mains, CS400 center, FX500 surrounds and RT35 rear centers...my sub is an SVS PC-Ultra).

Would like to see a larger center with dual 6 1/2" drivers and the tweeter. The fullness of my CS400 is tough to match. How about a set of Bipole/Dipole surrounds?

Nice job on these Polk!
    No excuses!
  • I think they look alright. Much better than the monitor, tsi, and Tsx. I may have to get a pair to try in the family room.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    I'll post up a review soon. Heading home from the press conference and leaving with some solid thoughts on these, as well as the magnifi mini and the overall vibe of Polk as a company.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • wallstreetwallstreet Posts: 1,399
    I can't imagine Polk building the bi/di pole switchable speakers like they used to given the direction of the industry to object based surround formats.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3,987
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'll post up a review soon. Heading home from the press conference and leaving with some solid thoughts on these, as well as the magnifi mini and the overall vibe of Polk as a company.

Looking forward to it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,974
    They look nice. The slim centers seem to be a good idea, as people have become accustomed to sound bars. The centers most of us here use can be very hard to place for a lot of folks. I don't even have to listen to them to know that they'll sound great to 90% of the population.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,712
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Something about the base looks a little discongruent with the rest of the tower design.

In laymen's terms, is discongruent the same as discombobulated?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Something about the base looks a little discongruent with the rest of the tower design.

In laymen's terms, is discongruent the same as discombobulated?

not in my dictionary
    ^^^ opposite of congruent :#

Incongruent discongruent malcongruent uncongruent... Bah... I make up words now. Lol....
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature B) ) -> new speakers -> :D
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 -> :o
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> B&W PM1 -> o:)

Old Gear:
    Speakers: Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,595
    ... Check out these coasters we are using at the event. For those of you that come by ill have some set aside for you if you want them.

hm97ddef64ac.jpeg

Great idea, 'cause when you are entertaining someone is always bound to what to sit a drink on top of the towers.

I'd like to get a few of those. Any thoughts on making some Polk logo merchandise available for purchase (ie shirts, jackets, hats, coasters)? Or even upgrade accessories like spikes, jumpers, cables)?
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer: CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, Polk: RM7, Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,434
    Good thing the tops of my towers have glass! I want some of those coasters. They would suit my basement them... Speakers!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 803
    edited September 2016
    I like them. Salute to the Polk Audio research, design, production and marketing teams. I'll have to mosey on down the street to Nebraska Furniture Mart and check them out.
  • jawhogjawhog Posts: 427
    I've been shopping for something new but will now wait to see and hear these. Didn't catch the news on these until today. The only new Polk product I've purchased in the last 5 years or more are some blackstone tl3's which I like a lot. This new line definitely has me excited to check them out. The creative and accommodating outer dimensions and the overall look seem to have real potential to be a winner.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,767
    Good question @cfrizz the tweeters are not as hot as RTiA. We are doing 2 channel as well as 5.1 demos here at CEDIA. I think these walk the line really nicely. The mid size towers will be at Best Buy but the largest tower will be at more independent shops.

Things like this almost want to make me become a Canadian dealer for Polk...hrm a distinct possibility...
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • xcapri79xcapri79 Posts: 5,273
    This is a crowded market with some pretty good competition.
    Let's hope this is a start of bigger and better products.

Some of my equipment includes the following:
    Adcom: GCD CD Player, GFP Preamp, GFA Amp; Audio-Technica: Turn Tables; Denon: HD Radio Tuners;
    Emotiva: XSP, XPA, UPA; RSP, RPA, ERC, Stealth; Focal: Chorus Speakers;
    Harman Kardon: Receivers; Jolida: Integrated Tube Amp; Marantz: Tuners;
    McIntosh: C Preamps, MA Integrated Amps, MX Processors, MC Amps, MHT, MCD CD Players, MR Receivers, LS Speakers;
    Mirage: OMD Speakers; MM and S Subwoofers; Parasound PHP Preamp, HCA Amp;
    Pioneer: SC AVRs, BDP Blu Ray Players;
    Polk Audio: LSi, LSiM, RTi, RTIA, RM, Signature, Monitor Speakers, DSW, PSW Subwoofers;
    Sony: HD Radio Tuners; Technics: SL Turntables, Equalizers; Yamaha: Tuners;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    edited September 2016
    how about this;
    Real American HiFi without having to ReFi.
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • I would think the term "Signature" with any brand would rate that said series as the company's absolute Best??? While I think they look okay, I am definitely not thinking I would purchase this line. It looks more like the affordable speakers for the college kids, and still okay to me. Was kinda hoping for something even higher end then the Lsim line?????????
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!" "Smile & Stay Warm!!"
    Higher end than LSiM line does not make sense for Polk. That is not their game. The new regime has this right - they know what Polk was and how to get it back to where it was.

I grow tired of the constant slams against Polk for not doing what each individual wants, and this isn't calling you out Johnny. I just want people to look at what these guys are doing and evaluate it on a business level. Polk is producing products that we can stand behind. These new products may or may not make it into our home, but they are definitely speakers we can push to those who come to us for advice. In all honesty, I can't say I've felt that way about anything Polk has produced in the last 8 years.... LSiM included. I am genuinely excited about this line.

These guys hit it on the head with the new T50. They hit it on the head with the new Signature series. There is still more in development and I expect them to hit that on the head as well. Vision is not an issue anymore. These guys 'get it'.

As far as the slim center, I chose it over the larger one. It is a stunning speaker and, to me, has better proportions anyways than a traditional big box center. I expect to grab a few more and use them as surrounds since they are so functional and aesthetically pleasing. Dipole and Bipole surrounds are a dying breed as new algorithms come out for surround sound. The fact that there are none for this series is not a flaw to me. In fact, I don't think they would fit with the series given the overall tone and cabinet design of the series.
    audiothesis.com/

• halohalo Posts: 3,627
    Are there going to be Atmos speakers in this line at some point? I'm not a big surround sound guy myself but many people are into it more than stereo reproduction.

Someone asked if these are comparable to the UniFi series & I would say no just based on the price. The UB5 is $499 & the Polk 6 1/2" Signature Series bookies are about 1/2 that. Plus, the Polk bookies have a rated frequency response down to 40 Hz but the UB5 lack the ability to produce any serious levels of bass response. The fit and finish on these Signature Series speakers looks great whereas the ELAC speakers are wrapped in the cheapest and most easily damageable brushed vinyl. Without hearing them side by side, I can say that the ELAC speakers are remarkable in their reproduction of mids and highs.

I look forward to this new series from Polk Audio & it sounds like they're moving in the right direction. That's good because, to me, the RTi6 was a big let down in my bedroom set up.