lucky find with free mint Monitor 7s - now what?

Options
Hi all, someone was giving away these Polk speakers for free on craigslist -- research leads me to believe they are Monitor 7s.

However, I am a complete newbie and have no clue how to configure them. I presume I need some sort of amp. I will mostly be utilizing my iphone 6 (wireless or 3.5 mm) for music. Does anyone have recommendations for how I go about configuring a set up, wiring, etc? Any specific models of amps you recommend to get the most out of my 7's?

I'm excited to configure these for my new apartment; just don't know where to start! baf5gkjwr7uj.jpg
dc9urhic25pk.jpg
6cfbfuepikep.jpg

Comments

• Dmac99
    Dmac99 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have pair of Monitor 7s as well. I did exchange the tweeters with a new RDO 194 from Polk and it was a great improvement. a Little less harsh, smoother response.
  • krazypolk
    Options
    Free is a great price, but realistically what should some monitor 7 go for in good original condition? $50, $100?

I saw some on Craigslist, but I haven't got a clue as to pricing.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    A stereo integrated amplifier could do the trick for you. A vintage model might be had cheap if you keep trolling craigslist. Then, a 1/8" stereo to stereo RCA cable would be the easiest way to get started.
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the rti7s. However, to get them singing you'll need at least a stereo integrated amp as mdaudioguy mentioned, or a comparable AV receiver (if the price works better for you.

You'll also need some speaker wire, which can be had dirt-cheap. If you're using your iPhone 6 and utilize mostly streaming services, id get a chromecast or chromecast audio, depending on which amp you get, and use that to stream music. Note: you can only stream Spotify and tidal through chromecast, otherwise I'd just get the cable that mdaudioguy recommended.

That's it.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you tell us where you're located, there may be a local Polkie who can help you out. Some of us have extra amps and receivers laying around looking for good homes.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450