The Black Dot Mod

Options
I've always had a problem seeing the indicator on this volume knob as the silver on silver just gets lost. I'd thought about installing an LED, but for various reasons decided it wasn't the best idea. So ok, a black dot would work, but it had to be the right black dot. After searching and searching I was able to come up with a 3/16" dot that sticks yet is easy to remove, leaves no adhesive residue and will not cause any damage to the metal. This is up in the top 10 best mods I have done.

Without further ado.......

wk1erw89hb5t.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Looks amazing! Post a ten foot away shot. Way better than my permanent marker trick. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Nice, thanks for sharing..
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Where would one purchase such amazing black dots?
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Do they make white dots?

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1. Way more elegant than black paint (easier to find, too, I reckon).

2. I have it on good authority that this is no ordinary dot. I have reason to believe that it is a Quantum Dot.

;)

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Does it sound better with or without the dot? Can you describe the difference?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I got these from StickerTalk who sells these as webcam privacy stickers on Amazon. Their customer service and product are top notch.

At first I got the 1/8" and 1/4" dots. The 1/8" was a bit hard to see from 10 feet away and the 1/4" size was slightly too big for the indicator, so I asked if he made 3/16" dots. Jeff said sure, he'd make them for me and a few days later they were in my mailbox. I can see the 3/16" dot perfectly from 10 plus feet away.

I believe they do make white dots.

Don't be silly Ed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    In all seriousness, it's nice to hear that they'll do "bespoke dots"!
    I am sure it's not quite trivial to do, even with today's technology (i.e., and still turn a profit).

• westmassguy
    Options
    I think you've gone over the edge Jesse.....
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    question is do the sell "microdots" B) and if they do I always thought to purple was the best... o:)
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^Red wasn't to shabby either^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^Mickey Mouse^^ ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Jesse, you should sell these through Coconut Audio or Machina Dynamica on Audiogon. These mystery dots could make you a fortune!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Jesse that's a great idea, I need a white dot though. Do you have a link to the specific ones that you bought?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Jesse, you should sell these through Coconut Audio or Machina Dynamica on Audiogon. These mystery dots could make you a fortune!

yuuuup:)
  • codycatalist
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I got these from StickerTalk who sells these as webcam privacy stickers on Amazon. Their customer service and product are top notch.

At first I got the 1/8" and 1/4" dots. The 1/8" was a bit hard to see from 10 feet away and the 1/4" size was slightly too big for the indicator, so I asked if he made 3/16" dots. Jeff said sure, he'd make them for me and a few days later they were in my mailbox. I can see the 3/16" dot perfectly from 10 plus feet away.

I believe they do make white dots.

Don't be silly Ed.

Nice way to think outside of the box F1! I wouldn't have thought of that.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Jesse that's a great idea, I need a white dot though. Do you have a link to the specific ones that you bought?

Just look on Amazon for webcam sticker dots or for StickerTalk.

President of Club Polk

• inspiredsports
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Does it sound better with or without the dot? Can you describe the difference?

Everything matters B)
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options

Everything matters B)

Of course it does!
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your visual disability F1, you must be getting old. lol
    It is always a good feeling to find something that works perfectly practically and aesthetically (boy thats a big topic today) to personalize a piece of equipt. Maybe you can market these as increasing the density of the knob hence improving performance?
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    1. Way more elegant than black paint (easier to find, too, I reckon).

2. I have it on good authority that this is no ordinary dot. I have reason to believe that it is a Quantum Dot.

;)

too much Star trek
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    question is do the sell "microdots" B) and if they do I always thought to purple was the best... o:)

Purple micro whats? :o

Looks good Jesse no more squinting at the volume dial, and another reason not to leave your chair.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Damn right Steve.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Purple micro whats? :o

Looks good Jesse no more squinting at the volume dial, and another reason not to leave your coffin.

Fixed it for you.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    so I take it there was already a little hole to put it into? pretty ingenious but hey we expect that from you ol'boy:)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Why do you need a dot to tell how loud it is? Doesn't the display give a readout?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • george daniel
    Options
    Eh,, stay away from the brown micro dots,, the purple or white is better B)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    George D, would you know who Woodstock these micro dots ? B)
    Sal Palooza
  • george daniel
    Options
    George D, would you know who Woodstock these micro dots ? B)

Maybe B)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    Options
    so I take it there was already a little hole to put it into? pretty ingenious but hey we expect that from you ol'boy:)

It's not a hole, more of a nipple.

President of Club Polk