Borrow RD0-194's

Ideally I'd like to borrow them for a little over the cost of shipping and return them. I'm also open to buying them at low price and sell them here for the same price, or re-list them and forward the profit to the original seller.

I am mainly curious how they sound compared to the RD0-198's. I'd like to hear with my own ears.

Comments

• Those tweeters aren't interchangeable with the same crossover without some modifications.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    Save your coin, don't bother...
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I have 2 pair of 5jrs, a pair of 5s, plus the components to have the different crossovers.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Save your coin, don't bother...
    Its a curiosity thing. A little over shipping costs both ways will satisfy it if someone has some leftovers.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Or buy them yourself and then sell them when you're done for almost the same cost.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pkquat
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Or buy them yourself and then sell them when you're done for almost the same cost.H9

Thats my 2nd option if there are some used for a decent price. Getting new ones, just to sell them for ~1/2 price is more $$ than my curiosity.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    Just use them & keep them. 198's are a better sounding tweeter. By how much-well there are people who like the sl2000 who is to argue. Its not like its a major wallet breaker
    Randy/Maine
  • heiney9
    You should get at least 85-90% of your money back, not 1/2. They do come up FS (used) once in a while, but it's rare and they usually sell right away. Meaning you better be on the forum when they are posted or you'll miss them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You should get at least 85-90% of your money back, not 1/2. They do come up FS (used) once in a while, but it's rare and they usually sell right away. Meaning you better be on the forum when they are posted or you'll miss them.

H9
    No truer words spoken
  • pkquat
    edited September 2016
    At ~$100 per pair. Sell for $90 minus ~$10 shipping equals ~$80. The !question is who would pay $90 when you can get new direct from Polk with a warranty for $100.

I am just putting the feelers out ther if someone has a pair laying around, or thinking about selling a used pair.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have heard the 194's but that was before the crossover upgrade that TL'ed my 10's & CRS+'s so I could use the 198's in them.

so yeah the 198's sounded better but that was because it took a crossover upgrade to use them so it not a fair comparison except to say why go backwards?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pkquat
    To be clear, I have new 198's for my 5jrs and M5 Series 2, and the components to rebuild the crossovers for both tweeter types. The 194's are only a curiosity experiment and to hear the difference with my own ears because I happen to have the crossover parts on hand.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    The 198 are better tweeters nuff said. If you have the XO to use them forget about the 194.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    everyone here preaches about people should listen for themselves, let their own ears decide.... guess that doesn't apply to tweeters.

How long you thinking this experiment might take?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • heiney9
    11tsteve wrote: »
    everyone here preaches about people should listen for themselves, let their own ears decide.... guess that doesn't apply to tweeters.

How long you thinking this experiment might take?

It's not about that, apples and oranges really since the x-over is being modified. The OP should listen for himself, but all I am saying is no one is going to "loan" you some 194's. Buy them, try them and flip them for 85-90% of your cost. If you don't want to take the monetary hit......then plan B below

Or.............as everyone else has said go with the 198's and modify the x-over and be happy.

H9

• I wish the fellow that designed them was still with Polk. I've had both models apart. The Treated Textile (Silk) domes appear identical, and the rubbery coating on the back also appears to be the same. The Coils are different. Their frequency response, and impedance curve would have to be different, to be drop in replacements.
    At some point, I may do a side by side test just for the heck of it, as I'm beginning to think there really isn't that much SQ difference between the two, once the crossovers are upgraded with quality parts.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nbrowser wrote: »
    I wish the fellow that designed them was still with Polk. I've had both models apart. The Treated Textile (Silk) domes appear identical, and the rubbery coating on the back also appears to be the same. The Coils are different. Their frequency response, and impedance curve would have to be different, to be drop in replacements.
    At some point, I may do a side by side test just for the heck of it, as I'm beginning to think there really isn't that much SQ difference between the two, once the crossovers are upgraded with quality parts.

If you have the resources...why not try the 194s and 198s in speakers with a crossover for the SL2000/194 and also in speakers with a crossovers for the SL3000/198...I know it sounds like work but it's one of those gits and shiggles things I'd try if I had the resources to do so....just an idea.

That was my thought as well. I have an unmolested pair of Monitors 7s stashed for my Son, so when he gets his own place, he'll have a nice "starter" system.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pkquat
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If you have the resources...why not try the 194s and 198s in speakers with a crossover for the SL2000/194 and also in speakers with a crossovers for the SL3000/198...I know it sounds like work but it's one of those gits and shiggles things I'd try if I had the resources to do so....just an idea.

That is may plan as well, besides comparing the different crossovers for the 198 since I have the parts. Part of the lower cost loan / pass through option is the added pressure - motivation to it get it done in a timely manner.

Would REW with the USB mic be able to document some of the similarities and differences?