SDA

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2016
    They could easily make a sub sat version based on something like the Blackstone line with ring tweeters that would be both affordable and meet WAF. The mains could actually be quite small if they don't have to go below 80hz. Dual 8-10 inch high quality/power subs to complete the SDA SubSat would be sweet.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    A compact sub/sat system could be done easily too.
    They could easily make a sub sat version based on something like the Blackstone line with ring tweeters that would be both affordable and meet WAF. The mains could actually be quite small if they don't have to go below 80hz. Dual 8-10 inch high quality/power subs to complete the SDA SubSat would be sweet.

More speakers= Better, or Bigger speaker cabs= better (for a large market)? I say SDAs in modern tower form. Something sleek but far from anemic.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Well I think F1 nut took the words right out of my mouth. You need room for them but any speaker that is going to try to represent realistic live or studio music is going to be of a noticeable size and nothing does it properly like SDA's, besides the 2B's aren't "that large".
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    SDA effect depends on the dimensional woofer being roughly a head's width apart from the other driver on the horizontal plane. How do you accomplish that in a skinny tower?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480

blasphemy
  • For SDA's, nothing compares to the sound stage they create.

I think you could do a sub/satellite system or a tower system that isn't as bulky as those in the past would probably be more acceptable to folks today. I think it's possible to do that as well.

Personally, I think you could make something sleek like Anthony Gallo's reference 3.5 speakers or the equivalent satellites that he has. I've always thought those speakers were amazing sounding as well.

For the 3.5's, just rotate the mid drive section 90 degrees (see satellites below for a better image), wire for SDA and I think you would have something pretty sweet.
    03dq0uzxm22y.jpg

The satellites, just wire for SDA and you should have something that would work.
    se2fq4k0l7ml.jpg

I know there are some requirements around spacing of the drivers being a certain distance apart (ear to ear on a human head right?). Just make sure that is the case and I think speakers looking something like that would be phenomenal.

Just my opinion though.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    My question is, why haven't any other manufacturers used sda tech in their speakers? I'm trying to wrap my head around it, as sdas have a cult following. Is there some patent law preventing anyone from doing this?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• There are several other digital implementations of crosstalk cancellation out there, carver had theirs, ambiophonics, plus the newer BACCH filter. I would think in this day and age a digital version would be more effective and easier to setup as you wouldn't need the second driver. That being said, I think a lot of folks wouldn't like the idea of having to throw their audio through another ADA phase.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • pitdogg2
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    My question is, why haven't any other manufacturers used sda tech in their speakers? I'm trying to wrap my head around it, as sdas have a cult following. Is there some patent law preventing anyone from doing this?

ummm yea a patent is the likely culprit...and others have done it Carver sonic holography is one. Difference is Bob's was electronic not passive. SDA type tech lives today in soundbars and yes many are doing it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    No doubt, passive SDA works the best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

blasphemy

Not if done properly. Think mini CRS+, with a quality sub.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    SDA effect depends on the dimensional woofer being roughly a head's width apart from the other driver on the horizontal plane. How do you accomplish that in a skinny tower?

You could do an MTM/d'appolito arrangement, with some type of module either molded in as part of the enclosure, or hanging off the side. Think mini SRS-3.1tl
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

ummm yea a patent is the likely culprit...and others have done it Carver sonic holography is one. Difference is Bob's was electronic not passive. SDA type tech lives today in soundbars and yes many are doing it.

Highly patented with lots of IP around it.

• Female engineer's are hot.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    White lab coats.......nice touch.

Somebody needs to clean those SRT towers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    actually there are some really cool things we can do with SDA when we control the source and the amplification.... how do I know this? We are playing with some stuff... the technology is really interesting at small scale as well as full scale towers.

I think it's best to leave the signal as unmolested as possible. Audiophiles in general do not like DSP. Being passive was the beauty of the original SDA.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Narrow towers are for girls.

I thought girls liked girth and length?? No?? LOL...

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    F1nut wrote: »
    No doubt, passive SDA works the best.

And it is the simplest for the consumer to setup, one extra wire that's it.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • I read this whole thread and as an avid SDA fan for many years believe "YES" the series should be resurrected all new cabinets.New style, but by all means keep the faith as in driver/passive combo, similar but better c/o, better tweeter you get it. B)
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Me? I'd like to see a speaker about the height of the 707's (around the same height as my SRS 2's) priced a little higher. They would HAVE to be a wider cabinet because of the speakers in a side by side arrangement. I remember Ben and a few other old timers were throwing around ideas about a more modern 1.2TL. Although we in the forum may not have the expertise, I'm sure your engineers do. I really think Polk SHOULD make this happen. I'd find a way to buy a pair.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Do a new SDA.

It would be a huge marketing tool tying the respected old school with the current new school. All the old rags would be forced to have an opinion on the subject. Peaking interest from the wealthier (in theory) older generation, and in turn the younger generation would follow suit.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    When I still had my 2 channel rig setup, I used my pair of LSi 25's with a Carver C9 Sonic Hologram Generator in the mix. It added that touch of SDA to it. It wasn't classic Polk SDA, but I did quite enjoy it.

This thread and talk does make me go...hmmm.
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Do a new SDA.

It would be a huge marketing tool tying the respected old school with the current new school. All the old rags would be forced to have an opinion on the subject. Peaking interest from the wealthier (in theory) older generation, and in turn the younger generation would follow suit.

Back when the SDA line was still sold, I didn't have close to the budget needed to afford a pair. Today is a much different story.

No excuses!
  • xsmi
    F1nut wrote: »
    actually there are some really cool things we can do with SDA when we control the source and the amplification.... how do I know this? We are playing with some stuff... the technology is really interesting at small scale as well as full scale towers.

I think it's best to leave the signal as unmolested as possible. Audiophiles in general do not like DSP. Being passive was the beauty of the original SDA.

As a matter of fact, remember late in the 1.2TL's run, I went to an audio store and was talking to a customer and salesman about SDA and they were both of the opinion that the 1.2TL weren't audiophile speakers because of the interconnect cable. They felt it was just another piece to add voice to the chain.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xsmi
    LMAO!! Sometimes you just tickle me!
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2016
    xsmi wrote: »
    LMAO!! Sometimes you just tickle me!
    Funny thing is is he's correct. You now how many times I went into so called audiophile store and they had them set up completely wrong? Many times I seen them demo'd toed in like every other speaker. I never like them because of that. Then one day a friend was telling me about these speakers he just picked for a song. Low and behold the big boys set up correctly I knew at that point I was going to get some SDA's. So it took 20yrs but it was worth the wait.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    The pros have all been listed. The main con, I have to say is room / location because of reflections. The width of the room can be tough. I noticed reflections and odd sounds more from my 1Cs than from Polk speakers placed wider than the 1Cs. Narrowing the 1Cs width and keeping a window curtain closed took care of the reflections. Other speakers can work in narrower widths and even be corner placed.

I like the idea of a sat sub. I think you may be able tp get the effect with a narrower width. I also have one other idea, I'll PM about.

I happened to stumble across this thread as I was thinking about SDAs and a question I'll ask after the holidays. One of the thing I'll mention now is old vs. new. There is something about the sound of the vintage 6.5" driver. It's pleasing. I am not sure if its nostalgia, preference, or ears that have become accustomed to the sound. With all the technology, and other developement, why do these still work so well?
  • F1nut
    You just can't beat doped paper cones, very natural sound.

President of Club Polk