RCA CAPS

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello all,
Awhile back when I purchased my SC-99, Endershadow pointed out that the Audioquest RCA caps actually can make EMI RF interference worse then if they where not there.
Now I heard his words but until right at this very minute I have not researched this issue either way.
I have not done any listening with them on and then off. My receiver is basically completely covered with them. All unused jacks have them on except a few which I was going to purchase more but His words stuck in my head enough not to buy more.
So my question to you guys since I haven't done it myself is has anyone researched this or tested it on their system?
I'm curious as I love the fact that they are supposed to keep noise down and they keep all unused jacks clean. I might like the clean better as I don't think I have any RF or EMI issues in my system. I'm completely anal about wire management and using high quality cables. My entire system is Audioquest.

Talk to me people
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I use them in my 2 channel system but haven't really done any critical comparisons with or without.
    I do know that it hasn't made anything worse.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    if concerned about the interference but want to keep the connections clean, aren't there some rubber cap types you can use?
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    My P5 preamp came with silicone caps on ask the RCA jacks. I liked it. It looked clean and it was easy to see, at a glance, which inputs I was using. This was very helpful when trying out different interconnects. They're available on eBay for less than $10 in sets of 50 or 100. Some are black, white, red, yellow, or combinations. I saw 1000 on amazon for $15.

I don't think that the silicone caps will affect sound quality at all.

I know that shorting caps are available as well. It's a male RCA plug that you insert into the female jack. A little more bulky than caps but I'd imagine you'd have no noise from these being inserted in the Jacks that aren't being used.

You can buy a set or, if you're handy, make them yourself and see what you do or don't notice. Try to get another set of ears in the set up with and without the shorting caps.

I ordered a bunch of the silicone caps and I'll be using them for all my unused female RCA jacks.I'm bummed about the mess of cables behind my av rack. If I get any free time I may tackle that project.

Good luck!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    My Vincent Preamp came with those cloudy colored plastic caps, they were a pita to get off. I left them on all unused Jack's and saved the ones I removed, how would the unused ones that are still on interfere with the sound?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • halo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    My Vincent Preamp came with those cloudy colored plastic caps, they were a pita to get off. I left them on all unused Jack's and saved the ones I removed, how would the unused ones that are still on interfere with the sound?

Were they hard plastic or flexible? Mine were soft and flexible & they very easy to remove and reinstall.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    Options
    I can't see how the plastic ones would interfere at all, Steve, so personally I'd opt to leave them on, unless replacing with the shorting caps. Are these the ones Dan's calling into question, though?

I've had similar experience in removal. I'd recommend using something of rigid plastic, and not a screwdriver, to gently pry them off without scratching the jack.

You can also cut small block of cheese to use as caps if you don't have any of the plastic/silicone ones handy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I've been using Cardas caps for a very long time. I can't say I noticed a change in the sound one way or the other, but I do like the way they look. I can't see them creating a problem though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The plactic caps are strictly for keeping the unused connector clean.The caps that short the center pin to ground are to prevent RFI intrution on that input.Since an open connection is basically an antenna grounding it will eliminate that path.As for it being audible my guess is not likely but would be highly dependant on the input design of the particular component.
  • mantis
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I have been wondering about these as well.

I have been thinking about getting some caps to put on all unused RCA jacks on my NAD T758 and all of my other gear. I want to do this for appearance reasons mainly, and to keep dust out. For those reasons I am thinking about getting some of the rubber caps as they are much cheaper and would accomplish my goals. I'd get some in red and some in white to easy distinguish the left and right channels when swapping out gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MMVCY6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30WUG2ZDGM0XM
    Thinking into this topic, Rubber caps make total sense.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've been using Cardas caps for a very long time. I can't say I noticed a change in the sound one way or the other, but I do like the way they look. I can't see them creating a problem though.

The Cardas caps are exactly like the Audioquest models.
    Dan
  • halo
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

I have been thinking about getting some caps to put on all unused RCA jacks on my NAD T758 and all of my other gear. I want to do this for appearance reasons mainly, and to keep dust out. For those reasons I am thinking about getting some of the rubber caps as they are much cheaper and would accomplish my goals. I'd get some in red and some in white to easy distinguish the left and right channels when swapping out gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MMVCY6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30WUG2ZDGM0XM

I am thinking about ordering 1,000 each of the red and white ones. I have to count how many I need, but obviously it is nowhere near that many. But if I order 2,000 I should have a lifetime supply. I'd probably even put some up for karma while I'm at it...

Well, why don't interested parties pitch in and divide the # of caps equally?

$5 for 250 caps? 125 white and 125 red? Count me in.
  • halo
    Options
    The ones I had were soft plastic or silicone. I ordered some black caps from eBay.

The 1000 count from amazon would be about $30 for 2000 caps.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I was working on one of my Parasound pre-amps I was trying to figure out why I was getting a buzzing noise on the output. Turns out that my overhead fluorescent light above my bench was emitting noise that was being picked up by the pre-amp. Using shorting caps on the unused inputs cleared it right up.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • F1nut
    Options
    This would probably be a good time to mention, do NOT use shorting plugs on outputs as that could cause serious damage to your gear.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    Ha, I'm glad you mentioned that about the outputs. I'll admit, I didn't even think about it at first.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    This would probably be a good time to mention, do NOT use shorting plugs on outputs as that could cause serious damage to your gear.

Jesse, I'm fairly certain most here know better,)

You can never be sure, but the mention is worthy.

The way most flip gear around here though, does dust even have a chance to accumulate ? :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Yes, unless you have short circuit protection; shorting the output of your amp may cause some buzzing, then a pop, and then smoke. After that your output will likely be very low noise.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Yes, unless you have short circuit protection; shorting the output of your amp may cause some buzzing, then a pop, and then smoke. After that your output will likely be very low noise.

that's some funny snot right there ......LOL

the magic smoke has left the building:)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Jesse, I'm fairly certain most here know better, except 16, 6, 2 (code used for obvious reasons...solve it...get a free LOL click from me! anyone can enter.)

PFB!!! PFB!!! PFB!!!
    Me so hot right now....me solve you problems like butta!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The vast majority of preamp/line level outputs on modern gear will have some series output resistance.This will prevent a dead short from occuring even if one was to inadvertantly place a shorting link across the connector.But it's better to be safe than sorry.
    As for shorting the output of an amplifier that ofcourse would be BIG no no.However I'm not sure how one would accomplish that feat with an RCA cover :#
  • F1nut
    Options

Jesse, I'm fairly certain most here know better, except 16, 6, 2 (code used for obvious reasons...solve it...get a free LOL click from me! anyone can enter.)

You shouldn't go to the bank with that thought.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I Googled 16, 6, 2 and it brought up the police code in Georgia for sodomy.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Why not use inexpensive rca plugs on the unused inputs? I did this using some parts express and Cardas left over from IC builds on a NAD pre with lots of inputs and I could hear an improvement. Not night and day, but a nice little tweak
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Looks like images from the Valley of the Dolls
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    Options

I have been thinking about getting some caps to put on all unused RCA jacks on my gear. I want to do this for appearance reasons mainly, and to keep dust out. For those reasons I am thinking about getting some of the rubber caps as they are much cheaper and would accomplish my goals. I'd get some in red and some in white to easy distinguish the left and right channels when swapping out gear.

Dan, did you (or anyone else) ever get some of the rubber caps?

On December 28th I finally decided to order 1,000 each of the red & white caps. When I ordered them I didn't realize they shipped from China. They finally arrived today and I just finished putting them on all unused jacks of both my amps, and will put them on the rest of my gear in the next couple of days.

It cleaned up the back of my amps a great deal, and I like knowing that no dust will be able to enter the RCA jacks now. It was well worth the small investment!

I want to keep about 250 of each color for the future for myself, but over the weekend I'll start a thread to see who would like to get some of the remaining balance. I'll ask who wants any and how many, then figure out how much it will cost to ship them to you. I won't be looking to make a dime, just want to recoup the cost I paid for them and the USPS mailing fees. Stay tuned... B)

39l7ige64sbl.jpg

Rick,
    No I have not. I have Audioquest ones but I wouldn't mind some of the Rubber ones. In my opinion it makes more sense for them to be rubber over metal anyway.
    Sign me up man and just let me know what I owe you for them. I'll take like 30 of each color or so or whatever you can spare.
    Dan
  • halo
    Options
    I got a small bag of twenty black plastic caps. Not expensive and they go on and come off very easily. Red & white would probably look nicer or all white but they serve the same purpose and I'm not back there looking at them so it's moot. lol.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options

I have been thinking about getting some caps to put on all unused RCA jacks on my gear. I want to do this for appearance reasons mainly, and to keep dust out. For those reasons I am thinking about getting some of the rubber caps as they are much cheaper and would accomplish my goals. I'd get some in red and some in white to easy distinguish the left and right channels when swapping out gear.

Dan, did you (or anyone else) ever get some of the rubber caps?

On December 28th I finally decided to order 1,000 each of the red & white caps. When I ordered them I didn't realize they shipped from China. They finally arrived today and I just finished putting them on all unused jacks of both my amps, and will put them on the rest of my gear in the next couple of days.

It cleaned up the back of my amps a great deal, and I like knowing that no dust will be able to enter the RCA jacks now. It was well worth the small investment!

I want to keep about 250 of each color for the future for myself, but over the weekend I'll start a thread to see who would like to get some of the remaining balance. I'll ask who wants any and how many, then figure out how much it will cost to ship them to you. I won't be looking to make a dime, just want to recoup the cost I paid for them and the USPS mailing fees. Stay tuned... B)

39l7ige64sbl.jpg

I'd be game for some Rick, Don't want to step on any toes so let me know when the dust settles. I'm not sure how many I need at the moment all me gear is in storage.

Ivan
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I would be in for 20-30 of each.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've got a lot going on right now so please be patient everyone.

But I will sort this out over the weekend. B)

C'mon Rick. At least charge enough to get a few beers out of this. The work alone dictates a 6 pack. I shipped about 9 packages the other day and it took me about 2 hours get it all prepped.

Sounds fair to me.