Android apps

Options
I recently retired my LG900 cell phone (took one too many dips in the pool), so I bought myself one of those newfangled smart phones.
It's an LG Stylo 2, running Marshmallow 6.0.
My question is, what app do you Android folks run for Caller ID and Blocking ?
I know how to use Google and Startpage, but cheese and crackers ..... enough reviews to keep me busy for the next hundred years.

I guess while I'm at it, any other apps that fall into a "Way Cool" category ?
Sal Palooza

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I don't use any apps for caller ID and blocking.
    Caller ID....don't you save numbers in your phone?
    When I get automatic calls, I block then through the phone's software. Works great.

No need to download more programs.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Soundhound or Shazam for one; song ID apps. hear a song you don't know, run the app, it samples the music and looks it up - BAMPOW!

There are apps pertaining to pretty much anything you're into. Some of the guys use the sound analyzer apps, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

My Tracks is a neat one for recording GPS tracks
    Endomondo for GPS fitness stats, like bike riding or running
    IMDB for film info lookup

Various apps for calculations, conversions (ConvertPad), Droid48 if you like HP calculators.
    Fing for network scanning/IP inventory
    Flashlight if your phone doesn't have an app/function built in

Various streaming music apps
    Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn Radio
    Zedge for ringtones and wallpapers if you're into that
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    There's an app for just about anything. Thing is, read some of the reviews of the app, some are buggy, don't always work or work poorly. If you download one, and don't like it, uninstall it. Google play store has tons of apps.

Since it's your first smart phone, turn off all location services to save battery life and make sure you close the app after using it or it keeps running in the background sucking up battery life.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sophiang
    sophiang Posts: 1
    Options
    There are several popular apps for Caller ID and blocking on Android. Here are a few options for you:

1.Truecaller: Truecaller is a widely used app that provides Caller ID, spam call blocking, and call recording features. It has a large database of phone numbers and can identify unknown callers.

2.Hiya: Hiya is another popular app that offers Caller ID, spam call blocking, and reverse phone lookup features. It helps identify incoming calls and provides information about the caller. Hiya also includes a built-in spam detection system to block unwanted calls.

3.CallApp: CallApp is an app that provides Caller ID, call blocking, and call recording functionality. It can identify incoming calls and block spam or telemarketing calls. CallApp also integrates with social media platforms to provide additional information about callers.

4.Should I Answer?: Should I Answer? is an app that focuses on call blocking and spam protection. It allows users to create custom blocking rules and has a community-based system where users can rate and report spam numbers.

These apps can be found on the Google Play Store. It's worth noting that some phone manufacturers may have their own built-in Caller ID and blocking features, so you can also check if your device has such functionality already included. >:)

Here are some of my thoughts on the matter, hope it helps a bit! :p:p:p

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,338
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Shazam is awesome for when you can't figure out who is performing a song/track.

Two button hits on the phone (one to get into Shazam and another for the app to listen) and usually within a second or two, you have the song and title.

Whenever I hear a song and want to know who it is at a restaurant, outing or simply driving the car? I'll Shazam it.

Then, take a screeshot of the results so when I get home, I can look it up and play it on the big rig.

In all my time using this app, it has only failed to locate one song for me. It has searched literally multiple hundreds of songs for me.

I used to have to call George Daniel's (RIP, brother) or Lightman1 (Russ) and put the phone up to the speaker to let them tell me who was playing.

FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~