Listening modes?

When I run my cable box thru the receiver to the TV with HDMI the receiver limits me to only 2 listening modes while watching TV. When i hook up the cable box directly to the TV then audio back to the receiver it gives me all 7 or so. The blue ray is running thru the receiver with no issues. Makes it a pain trying to adjust the speaker levels having to switch TV sources between hdmi 1 and 2 constantly. Receiver is a NAD T758. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    Why are you switching constantly between the TV and the Blu-ray player?

Anyway, you'd have to adjust the levels regardless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    My guess, the cable box is limited in it's output through HDMI, the broadcast will also vary in its audio signal. From what I've seen, cable audio signals are either Dolby Digital, or 2channel.

While the TV output is giving more options because it's applying it's own conversions to the signal.

In other words, cable boxes usually don't utilize built in audio conversion and just passthrough whatever signal it's receiving, while the TV output will offer several audio conversions for you to chose from.

From what I've seen with the NAD receivers, you're better off letting the NAD handle any audio conversions; if you want it converted. You'll need to make sure it's not in any form of "Direct" mode for that though.

To be honest with you, I HATE setting up NAD receivers. They are a not very user friendly, IMO.

I have a serious shudder run up my spine whenever my father wants to make a change to his system with his T787 in it...

It might have something to do with the fact that he continues to play with the system after I leave and naturally messes up all of the settings I put in. So I usually have to set it up at least 3-4 times for him. :#