DIY Coax/IC Cables Question - Shielding Termination?

Hey guys,
what's the convention on the shielding termination on DIY cables?
Is it different for Coax than it is for Interconnects?

Some say terminate shielding on the connector body on one side only for IC's. This is to prevent transmission/hum, I presume.

How about for Coax? Same deal here, or is it best for the shielding to terminate the shielding on the connector body on both sides?

On single sided connector body termination, is it best to place this side of the cable at the signal source or destination?
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    msg wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    what's the convention on the shielding termination on DIY cables?
    Is it different for Coax than it is for Interconnects?

Some say terminate shielding on the connector body on one side only for IC's. This is to prevent transmission/hum, I presume.

How about for Coax? Same deal here, or is it best for the shielding to terminate the shielding on the connector body on both sides?

On single sided connector body termination, is it best to place this side of the cable at the signal source or destination?

Let's see here goes.

For me when I have made cables for myself.

I have done it both ways and in my instance I have not heard a great difference either way. Yes from all I have gathered it was did for hum and ground loop problems.

With coax there are times when you must use the shield on both because that is the neutral/ ground for return. Take Dish for example. If you do not have a good connection for return you will have picture problems. For use as an inter-connect I have again did both and one didn't beat out the other.

I have always been under the impression that it would follow signal flow from source to pre
  • I'm assuming you are referring to a shielded cable with two conductors in the center, correct? If so, the standard arrangement is to connect one end of the shield to the ground return and leave the other shield end unconnected. Then, when using the cable place the connector with the shield terminated to ground return to the low impedance component, usually the source device.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Thanks PD. Was wondering on the video signal - I think I just realized this for myself several months ago, as well and have some rewiring to do.

Ken, now that you mention it, I'm realizing I'm talking about two different types of cable here, now.

First type, for IC, is like you're saying - two center conductors with shielding mesh as a sheathing layer just beneath the jacket. I'd use this as an IC, yes, and my understanding is the negative wire and the shielding are terminated on the connector body on the source side only, with shielding tucked under the jacket and only the negative connected to connector body on the destination?

Second type is coax, as in for use as a digital coax cable. One conductor, and the shielding mesh beneath the jacket.

So I'm working on a coax next, and just wondering what to do with the shielding. I think the shielding is to wrap back on the jacket and this sleeve in the upper left of the photo below slips over it, making the connection on the body. Just not sure whether to do this on both sides for a digital coax cable used for audio, or again, just on the source side.

x8aqzbdxibc4.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Would you be able to post a photo of the pin assembly out of the housing?
  • msg
    I can, sir, yes. Will post up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2016
    Vampire Wire C9X and C9X CB

For 8.7-9.4mm dia. cables. Uses compression to insure proper RF shielding and strain relief. Slide nut on cable. Strip 3/4” of jacket, cut shield to 1/4”, strip tip 1/2” of center conductor, fold shield back on jacket. Place compression collar over shield, solder center conductor to center pin, slide on ground crown, tighten outer barrel. For coax cable you must do this with the shield on both ends or the cable will not work.
    Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Doug
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • msg
    Thanks Doug! I'd misplaced those instructions you sent me.

Hey, while you're here, can you confirm for me the orientation of that little crown shaped piece? Does it go with the crown tips facing back toward the cable sleeve, or forward toward the tip? I think the former, but not sure.

Ken, will post those photos in a bit.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'm pretty sure you are correct in the orientation of the crown. it should compress the shield and jacket from the looks of it as it is tightened.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    The end with the crown shape is what goes toward the cable, over the shield.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • msg