CD Player biting the dust?

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
My Teac CD player just started making a lot of noise when a CD is loaded into it....a spinning noise If that makes any sense. A CD player wasn't on the upgrade list since I just bought a DAC....so any ideas??

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Buy an Ayon CDP. No more worries. ;)

What vintage is this CDP? And has the transport ever been cleaned/dusted?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Rip and stream

Do you have a spare PC???
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Valid point, Ron. But there are those of us who still prefer drop and spin media.
    Thoughts?
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Well it wasn't in the budget :'( , So what would be the budget?....hence the question about a spare PC

He's got a DAC
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• kevhed72
    Options
    What are the odds I can take it apart and fix it myself? I have too many discs to do the PC thing....
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Well...We all have to many disks

But your going to bust her open and see what the culprit might be, Jesse, Rich, or FGTV(Fred) and others would probably be best to answer, but will probably need more details

Ya gotta a model number,,,Parts may not be cost effective vs replacing the unit

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    You're afraid of breaking an almost broken CD player?

• lightman1
    Options
    :o
    rpf65 wrote: »
    You're afraid of breaking an almost broken CD player?

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    What are the odds I can take it apart and fix it myself? I have too many discs to do the PC thing....

Slim to none, but possible if you get lucky. Just rip 5-10 a week, starting with your favorites, and soon you will have more music than you can listen to.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Seriously? When did your salary get upgraded to CEO class, Russ? Nice player but not for us bottom feeders, lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Can you buy me an Ayon CDP?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Which model? Does it do it with every disc? Will it read and play?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I have a Toshiba SD-4960 (no remote) that does SACD
    and sounds surprisingly good. I was going to dynamat
    it but haven't found a need for it yet. PM me if interested.
  • kevhed72
    edited August 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Teac CD 1000
    It will read and play....and it does make the noise with every disc....
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    1. Rip your CD's
    2. Get a used player at Goodwill or Salvation army
    3. Get a new player (blu ray or DVD) at any store
    4. Get a used player on Ebay (Cd, Bluray, or DVD)

As to fixing it......unless it has something so specific or nostalgic about it, not sure it would be justified.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1. you should get your CD player fixed of course. (nice DAC)
    2. my suggestion was only as a stop gap.
    3. good luck.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Teac CD 1000
    It actually makes a clicking noise as the disc spins...
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Teac CD 1000
    It actually makes a clicking noise as the disc spins...

aah, thought it was an older vintage model. I would repair it.

Could be quite simple. Literally something loose, or simply touching disc when spinning.

Eitther way good luck!
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I popped the top and played a disc.....it appears the discs wobbles a bit when played, which may be making noisetpl71at0khfx.jpeg
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Alright....unscrewed the top piece to take a look and put it back together.....perhaps the small disc on top was out of alignment.....but I put it back together and it works fine. Any recommended maintenance to the transport while I have this thing open?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    you could add a separate PS for the analog section :#
  • F1nut
    Options
    Alright....unscrewed the top piece to take a look and put it back together.....perhaps the small disc on top was out of alignment.....but I put it back together and it works fine. Any recommended maintenance to the transport while I have this thing open?

The small disc on top is supposed to be able to move around a bit, it's got some slop. It's also magnetic and locks onto the spindle motor disc when the player loads the CD. Sounds like yours got jammed a little cockeyed, likely because a CD was crooked on the tray when loaded.

Add Dynamat Xtreme to the plastic cross support on top of the transport, but do not put any on the tab pointing towards the rear. Add more Dynamat Xtreme to all that bare metal inside the chassis.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options

The small disc on top is supposed to be able to move around a bit, it's got some slop. It's also magnetic and locks onto the spindle motor disc when the player loads the CD. Sounds like yours got jammed a little cockeyed, likely because a CD was crooked on the tray when loaded.

Add Dynamat Xtreme to the plastic cross support on top of the transport, but do not put any on the tab pointing towards the rear. Add more Dynamat Xtreme to all that bare metal inside the chassis.
    Thanks for the info....I would like to keep this transport for awhile since I just invested in a DAC.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Good job. It's always nice when the fix is something simple. Hopefully it's permanent versus temporary.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    Options
    Its nice to save $$$ also. Good job Kev.
    Randy/Maine
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Well, poking around in there gave me an idea....perhaps Upgrade the power supply and any caps in the digital section....since I will be using this unit with a DAC....as well as Dynamat the inside. Is this unit worth the time and effort in terms of the transport itself? Thoughts?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Is it worth it ?

In my opinion, no. Why ?
    Because a lot of cd spinners, good ones, are pretty cheap these days considering many are moving to digital playback.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is it worth it ?

In my opinion, no. Why ?
    Because a lot of cd spinners, good ones, are pretty cheap these days considering many are moving to digital playback.

I decided against that idea due I felt fortunate to have it running smoothly again....I did Dynamat the inside for kicks.....per Jesses advice. I also added 2 separate pieces on either side of the magnetic disc on top. I thought about one piece but didn't want to risk the adhesive touching the disc itself. This was actually easier than I thought...for an OCD person actually fun
    jfnlfef6g9pf.jpeg
  • F1nut
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looks good. On the top cover, you don't want to run it out to the front and back edges like you have because the goo tends to creep and will stick to frame making it very difficult to remove the cover.

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    Funny you both say that....it just seized up on me so I took the cover off. It was a bit tight to get off but not too messy. The disc loads fine but reads NO DISC. It looks like a new optical eye runs about 20.00 on EBay.....this would be my best guess as to the issue. I bought the unit 2nd hand here awhile ago and have put a good number of spins on it myself. I hope it just needs a new eye....