not so searing Tuna

I went on my semi annual sojourn to see Hot Tuna at my favorite venue the Count Basie Theater Red Bank N.J.. This was supposed to be totally electric which is what I overwhelmingly prefer. A band called Leftover Salmon opened and was a heavily electrified bluegrass band. 6 members and did all original tunes and was given a FULL HOUR and a 1/2 which is about 1/2 an hour to long for an opener. The musicianship was good but they were full of themselves and was a bit tedious in the end. Tuna comes on @10 and opens w/ 2 electrified acoustic guitar songs which is the usual m.o for them to warm up and then break out into the searing electric scene. Jorma breaks out a Gibson Fire Bird a guitar used back in the day which I thought had the best tone. Now the disturbing part. Jorma switched from the acoustic to the electric then a roadie comes collects the unused ax and then returns it when needed. This I never saw before and they should have been in the guitar stands and left alone. This was the pattern and then used the electrified acoustic for most of the show. All arrangements of the old standards were changed to a jazzy mellow sing talking thing which again I did not like. Over all the poorest showing for Electric Tuna in all my shows I've been to.
I already got close seats for David Bromberg and his Big Band w/ Larry and Teresa Campbell also playing on October 4th. Seats for front orchestra was $59,50 from the Beacon box office. I was waiting for this show and was grossly disappointed, the only time after seeing them what seems like a hundred times from the early '70s to present day.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You'll like Larry and Theresa. I've seen them several times now and they are totally under the radar. Too bad about Tuna, I've seen them both electric and acoustic many times as well as Jorma solo and never saw a bad show.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    So true, I've seen them so many times clearly losing count but way more times than the Grateful Dead and this was not what I wanted. Of course his playing was great and nothing lacking there only using the wrong guitar for me. The Fire Bird again one of my all time favorites and he uses multiple models and makes. Les Pauls, FB, Fender Jazz Masters, Gibson ES-335 and back in the day he had a great U.S.painted flag Fender Strat.
    I'm trying to get a picture of a free gig that I went to in in Vicente Park out on the avenues near the ocean in S.F. circa 1976/77. Papa John Creach was part of the show and they all came in the Burgers Ford and played for hours on end. This is the Tuna I always liked. Notice Jorma on a Gibson Fire Bird and Jack on his 1st Alembic bass nick name space control w/ all the knobs and dials. Legend goes this was both so heavy and overly electronically complicated that Jack ditched this for an Epiphone which became his signature model w/ a deal w/ Epiphone. About Larry Campbell and wife they were such a good fit for Tuna I wanted to see them still w/ Tuna but Jorma shakes things up every single tour they do and I think will play till his demise like B.B King w/ Lucille @89...5ox6cha3lbol.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • dromunds
    Great photo. I saw Starship in the 70's with Papa John Creach if memory serves probably not that far in time from the photo, he was fun.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    While the roadies were arranging gear there was screen showing coming acts at the Count Basie. The one show that really interested me and I did get a ticket was for David Bromberg's birthday bash w/ Larry and Teresa Campbell and the old folkie Tom Rush. Seat is row H seat #113 center orchestra. I'm not sure if I ever told this story before but this was the most amazing thing I had ever seen at a concert.
    Again it was Bromberg and the big band playing this club called The Cotati Inn. In the crowd was a heckler so vile that it made people cringe. Being Jewish Daivd had enough of this dude unstrapped his Telecaster and just jumped off the stage on to the guy and proceeded to beat the living sh&t out of him before security knew what was going on then threw him out. Bromberg jumps back on stage re ajusted his glasses and played for hours where in some California towns if the tables were cleared of all glasses the band can play till their fingers bled.

• dromunds