SDA SRS 2 Amp

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,542
Hi everyone. My name is Chris. I've had several Polks. RT55, RM7500 set, RT35, RT15. I currently still have my RM7500s.

Now I have a set of mint SDA SRS 2. I have not hooked them up yet. The only amps I have are a NAD 906 which has 3 power supplies and either runs 30x6 or 3x90 bridged watts. I don't nnow if it has a common ground or not, so I have not tried it.

My only other power source in my Yamaha Adventage RX A1050.

Right now I use the NAD 906 bridged to run my JBL L80t with new caps and resistors.

My question is about a amp to run the SRS 2. I was looking at the Parasound 2125 v2. It runs 150 per @ 8 ohm. (Plenty to run my L80ts) and 225 per @ 4 ohms.

Is 225 watts with a "high current" enough to really open up the SRS 2 ?

The reason I was favoring this amp is the ability to run "A" and "B" speakers with a switch on the front so I can switch between the JBLS and the Polks. The Carver M500 and 1.5t, 4.0t and Adcom GFA 555 can't do that.

Will I regret getting the 2125 v2 ?

Oh and are all the SRS 2 4 ohms?

Thank everyone. Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    The Parasound will be fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Parasound will be fine.

So this will be plenty of power? I see the 2250 v2 with a lot more power but it also cost a lot more. 225 is plenty for these?
  • F1nut
    Current (amps) is what you want. Pick the one with the highest.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2016
    CH46E wrote: »
    Now I have a set of mint SDA SRS 2.
    WHICH SRS 2? Blade/Blade, or Pin/Blade
    The only amps I have are a NAD 906 which has 3 power supplies and either runs 30x6 or 3x90 bridged watts. I don't nnow if it has a common ground or not, so I have not tried it.
    Bridged amps cannot be common-ground. You must not use it in it's bridged configuration. I don't know if it's common-ground when not bridged.
    My only other power source in my Yamaha Adventage RX A1050.
    Does it have an impedance selector switch on the back panel? Yamaha has done that with other products. The switch will strangle the power supply in the low-impedance position.
    My question is about a amp to run the SRS 2. I was looking at the Parasound 2125 v2. It runs 150 per @ 8 ohm. (Plenty to run my L80ts) and 225 per @ 4 ohms.

Is 225 watts with a "high current" enough to really open up the SRS 2 ?
    If it's rated for a 4-ohm nominal load, it'll probably be fine. I expect you'll like it.
    The reason I was favoring this amp is the ability to run "A" and "B" speakers with a switch on the front so I can switch between the JBLS and the Polks. The Carver M500 and 1.5t, 4.0t and Adcom GFA 555 can't do that.
    The M500 CANNOT be made common-ground.
    Will I regret getting the 2125 v2 ?
    Maybe. Kind of depends on your personality. You want speaker switching, so it seems like a winner at this point.
    are all the SRS 2 4 ohms?
    Blade/blade are 4-ohm nominal, very similar to the SDA 1B. Cannot be made compatible with non-common-ground amplifiers.
    Pin/Blade are 6-ohm nominal, very similar to the SDA 1C. This generation can use the isolation transformer in the SDA cable, so it can be made compatible with non-common-ground amplifiers.
  • F1nut
    Moo........

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I don't know, you're the one at the farm market.

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    DSkip wrote: »
    I would recommend grabbing my a23 in the farm market.

I'd love a Halo amp, but I'm really kind of leaning towards the AB switching.
  • CH46E
    I'll let ya know when they get here. As to blade blade or blade pin.
  • CH46E
    It appears they are Blade/Blade. Now that my JBL are sold I don't have a need or a want to switch A/B speakers.

So...... Adcom GFA 555???? Or other suggestions in the $300 200 watt range??
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2016
    Search your local Craigslist for B&K and Parasound, see if anything comes up.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    You cannot sell anything here until you get 100 posts.

President of Club Polk

• oops sorry :/
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    You might want to pull the woofers on one of them, and see what's in there. I've had two instances, a 1C and SRS-2, that were blade/blade, had split crossovers, but were in fact 4th generation.
    If all four woofers have identical model #s (most likely MW6510), they're 3rd generation. If two are 6510s, and the other two are 6511s, then you have 4th generation SRS-2s.
    If they're 3rd gen, you must use a common ground amp. If they're 4th gen, you can use non-common ground amps with an AI-1 or Dreadnaught.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    I'm going to get flamed (again) by people who haven't heard this amp, but due to your limited budget, I'm going to recommend a Crown XLS 1500. It drives SRS 2 effortlessly, and you can find a new old stock one for less than $300. I paid $175 for mine from Amazon, although they're out of stock now, replaced with a newer model. They're ugly, but reliable and efficient, and they sound great. I slightly prefer my tube amp, but the Crown is cheaper, quieter, more efficient, FAR more powerful, and the SDA effect is better on it, I think due to better channel separation.

People who haven't heard it seem to love to comment on how cold and analytical they sound. I don't understand that either. Those that have heard it find it dynamic and accurate. Not the sweetest sounding, but I've compared it directly to a number of class A/B, class D, and tube, and it holds its own nicely. I think it's a great match for SRS 2 on a budget.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    THD of the XLS 1500 is greater than 1/2 a percent, THD of my B&K is 0.09%. I wonder how bad the Crown gets when pushed?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    If all four woofers have identical model #s (most likely MW6510), they're 3rd generation.
    I'd have expected MW6509s like an SDA 1B.
    If two are 6510s, and the other two are 6511s, then you have 4th generation SRS-2s.
    Yup, just like an SDA 1C.
    If they're 3rd gen, you must use a common ground amp. If they're 4th gen, you can use non-common ground amps with an AI-1 or Dreadnaught.
    Yes.
  • Rex81
    Nightfall wrote: »
    THD of the XLS 1500 is greater than 1/2 a percent, THD of my B&K is 0.09%. I wonder how bad the Crown gets when pushed?

The Crown doesn't get pushed. It delivers 525 wpc into the SRS 2 and they're 92db efficient. The power meters on the XLS barely blip at uncomfortably loud volumes. I guarantee you won't hear any THD.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575

Well...with distortion like that, it should settle the cable debate...

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    DollarDave wrote: »

Well...with distortion like that, it should settle the cable debate...
    There's a cable debate?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rex81 wrote: »

The Crown doesn't get pushed. It delivers 525 wpc into the SRS 2 and they're 92db efficient. The power meters on the XLS barely blip at uncomfortably loud volumes. I guarantee you won't hear any THD.

Yes, it has the wattage, but does it have the current? :)

• Rex81
    Haha, you know I put more value on the current. But yes, it's got plenty of both. A crazy high damping factor doesn't hurt with the SRS 2 either.

• Rex81 wrote: »
    Haha, you know I put more value on the current. But yes, it's got plenty of both. A crazy high damping factor doesn't hurt with the SRS 2 either.

Here's an interesting read on wattage and current.

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Common_Amplifier_Myths.php
  • F1nut
    Rex81 wrote: »

The difference between a damping factor of 50 and 1000 is so small that it is a non-factor. It only becomes an issue when the damping factor is around 10. Basically, that spec should be ignored.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    TForan wrote: »
    Rex81 wrote: »

Here's an interesting read on wattage and current.

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Common_Amplifier_Myths.php

Be that as it may, there is no doubt that a high current amp easily outperforms a low one. Maybe Ohms law isn't the end all.

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I have an xls1500 & a xls2500 and yeah they are butt ugly..

Have ran both on my SDA's and yeah can get loud and sounds ok, lots a watts for not much coin.

Then I got my parasound 2250 and I myself like that sound better.

So, to each their own and whatever gets your groove on... B)

• CH46E
    I'm keeping an eye on CL for a good amp. Lots of good amps in Tampa but I don't like driving to far.
  • F1nut
    There are businesses these days called UPS, FedEx and USPS that ship all kinds of stuff.

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    Anyone have experience with Acurus amps?
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    edited August 2016
    Not sure about those speakers.... I have the Acurus 200/3 & its a very nice amplifier. Ive read they can be bright with some speakers. To me the Acurus seems to blends well with SDA's ive tried in what little time i have had it. I used it on 1c's & crs+'s with great results till i got the Parasound 2250 (got it here). I am eventually going to be using it back on crs's when i get the Parasound preamp for the 1c's after the xovers are complete
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine