Any recommendations for a less expensive 34MFD low pass cap for the M5 than Sonicap?

pkquat
pkquat Posts: 742
edited July 2016 in Vintage Speakers
I came across some M5 series 2 for an amazing price, just in time for my Sonicap order for a number of other speakers (M5A, 4A's, 5jr+s). Dave will be doing my SDA's later. The M5 high pass components are not too much, and if needed they could be re-purposed. I don't think I have enough love for them to spend $100 for two caps at this point.

I've seen Dayton 33's recommended. I have also seen Clarity 33's and 35's although I don't remember which models are preferred. Is 5% tolerance good enough or should I look for lower? I swear one site (other than Soniccraft) said they would match capacitors but I can't find it now. I don't mind ordering from two places provided shipping is not outrageous, but any recommendations from Soniccraft, so I can keep my order at one place?

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Clarity is the 1st choice. Solen is a good economical cap for the low pass.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I went with the Clarity ESA's in 33uf from Madisound, around $34/each if I remember right. If you go the route of the PX series you'll have to get two to equal 33uf and with crossover space at a premium you have to make them fit. Just food for thought...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649

I use these when budget is a concern.
    http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX250v/MPX25-03-33-00

I wouldn't sweat the 1uf difference.
  • pkquat
    edited July 2016
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Clarity is the 1st choice. Solen is a good economical cap for the low pass.

I've heard mixed thoughts on the Solens or how they blend with Sonicaps, although they were my first thought. Daytons seamed to come up more as a pairing with the Sonicaps. I think it may have been someone who offered Solens that would match a pair to 1%, but still have a 5% on the actual value.
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I went with the Clarity ESA's in 33uf from Madisound, around $34/each if I remember right. If you go the route of the PX series you'll have to get two to equal 33uf and with crossover space at a premium you have to make them fit. Just food for thought...

Partscxn has the ESA's for 40% off, ~$25. This is tempting. Two PX's would be about the same. I still have to think if that is in my budget of what I want to spend.
    FTGV wrote: »
    I use these when budget is a concern.
    http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX250v/MPX25-03-33-00

I wouldn't sweat the 1uf difference.

I am not familiar with ERSE. Are they similar to the Daytons and Solens? I like the 3% tolerance.

One other crazy idea. Go with Clarity ESA all around? That total is almost the Sonicap high pass. The 8.2 should be close enough to the 8. The thing is all the other high pass will be Sonicaps, but then again they are different models with different crossovers. It may be more of a head game than sonic difference.

Side question too. Is anyone aware of a volume or dollar discount from Soniccraft? Before these my total will be over $500 for the other speakers. :o

Post edited by pkquat on
  • heiney9
    edited July 2016
    If you can hear a difference between 1%, 3% and 5% in respect to the tolerance in caps, you are not an Earthling.

Solens and Sonicaps are in my SDA's (modded before I got them). Solens and Clarity caps are in my Monitor 5B's. No issues w/Solens in the low pass. I had Solens in the high pass in the 5B's and Clarity's (now) are way better .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pkquat
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If you can hear a difference between 1%, 3% and 5% in respect to the tolerance in caps, you are not an Earthling.

Solens and Sonicaps are in my SDA's (modded before I got them). Solens and Clarity caps are in my Monitor 5B's. No issues w/Solens in the low pass. I had Solens in the high pass in the 5B's and Clarity's (now) are way better .

H9

Good to know. I may go that route too. My main thought on the Sonicaps for the high pass is that if I decide not to keep the 5's I may be able to use them in 7's which I really want, and put whatever in the 5's if I sell them. With the discount on Clarity caps, the Calrity / Solen combo is looking like the best middle ground route.

While actual values may vary, matching between pairs is recommended, although I doubt is as noticeable on the low end. Also a 5% tolerance can be up to 10% difference. I can't say I've noticed or done any of those listening tests, but I do notice differences sometimes even between pairs of speakers. I have two pair of 5jr+ with the SL2000 tweeters and the two pair sound different, and on one I can here a difference little between speakers, mind you these are old electrolytic caps. I'll find out what the actual values are when I rebuild them.
  • heiney9
    pkquat wrote: »
    I can't say I've noticed or done any of those listening tests, but I do notice differences sometimes even between pairs of speakers. I have two pair of 5jr+ with the SL2000 tweeters and the two pair sound different, and on one I can here a difference little between speakers, mind you these are old electrolytic caps. I'll find out what the actual values are when I rebuild them.

Yes, and I'm betting the old parts in the crossover is why you can hear a difference. Put new caps in both, match and unmatched, 1% and 10% and clean all the contacts, make sure the cabinet is sealed, etc and you won't hear a difference.

H9

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    The 40% off on the ESA feels like Xmas, these are great capacitors .I have used it along with Mundorf resistors on a 5B recap, the results were fantastic.

I just placed an order to recap my SDA CRS, this time will do it along with Mills resistors... Get it!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited July 2016
    What about Axon? I have them in my JBLs. I don't remember how high they have but you can always stack caps to get the value you need.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Not even close to Sonicap or Clarity ESA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    F1nut wrote: »
    Not even close to Sonicap or Clarity ESA.

Are you saying the Axon caps are not as good as the Sonicaps?

I have a few Sonicaps in mine also. I do feel the blending of my woofer to mid was a weak spot in my JBLs. Maybe I should look at replacing the Axon caps?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's what I'm saying.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    Thank you for all the input. I went with the Clarity ESA / Solen combo. The price was right. Every thing should be arriving this week.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Does VDC matter?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited August 2016
    Vdc should be the same or higher than original caps, I don't think it has sonic impact.
  • pkquat
    xsmi wrote: »
    Does VDC matter?
    cortico wrote: »
    Vdc should be the same or higher than original caps, I don't think it has sonic impact.

Agreed.

From what I have gathered the VDC does not need to match, 50VDC is stock, although I think there were some 100 VDC in earlier models. 200+ is more than enough.