setting up PB13 ultra and lsim705

124»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    gurot1 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    WOW 2 PB-13Ultra's... I would like to see what 1 would do in my system. Current HSU VTF-2 rattles my house. I am only thinking of upgrading to VTF-3MK5 as that is the max my space would allow.

I did like Interstellar, great sound track.

Nice setup it will get better as the kids get older. Bummer you're not close to SoCal, I could build you a nice stand for that gear.

One question is, have you tried to stack the subs on top of each other in the right corner?

What type of design would you have in mind? I might attempt to build another one this summer. The black stand was my first real woodworking project about ten years ago! I not the best at it, but I have improved from that first attempt.

Hmm, with that nice gear I would get it off the floor. Window comes into play too. If I was going to build one for that space;

Bottom level would be drawers for BD/DVD storage. 2nd level and 3rd level would be for AV gear. for the 3rd level maybe center channel

Wood I would use 18mm baltic birch. All Birch likes to blotch so either Old masters wiping stain or General Finish water based stain. Top coat would either be # General Finishes high performance or Deft waterborne Acrylic.

Once you build your own and get an idea of what you want you will like it that much more.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I built the dark one not having a clue just a basic idea t5mz7m7cqor0.jpg

After two years of looking at it I knew what I wanted to don1y354wxprqi.jpg

I think it came out very nice

Find a good lumber yard the cabinet makers and contractors go to try not to buy at Home Depot or Lowe's

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Thanks for the tips. I know my wife has been mentioning that I might need a new stand after all the additional equipment I have acquired. Used to be avr, CD player, ps3 and satellite and maybe one other component. It has grown since!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Still want to spread the left and right channel a bit further (I know, the right will be getting a little too close to the wall). Just want to move each speaker six inches to the side. After thinking about various ways to reconfig the whole front soundstage, had a friend say why not try putting the subs in the back. I am hoping to try it out this weekend. It will also help use all the excess subwoofer cable I bought which is just sitting coiled up in the under/over manner on the floor. There is about 26 inches between the sofa and the rear wall, enough to squeeze the PB13's in sideways. Going to face them away from each other and towards the side walls. The cones will be about 3 feet from the wall. The other great thing this will help is that I just picked up an SVS AS-EQ1 to help smooth out the bass in the room. Since I am running the subs in stereo from the Emotiva XSP-1, during CD playback which is hooked up straight to the preamp, this might help sort out the 7.5 ms delay that the AS-EQ1 introduces to the signal going to the sub!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Didn't realize how much junk we ended up putting in the 'storage' area behind the sofa. Took a little while to empty it out and move furniture out of the way for a path for the PB13'S. I think I pulled a muscle sliding those puppies across the room. The front looks nice without the beasts there but the LSIM705s look vulnerable to the boys running back and as they were this evening. I may have to put something to side of left channel. When running full range I could tell the subs were right behind me but not as bothersome as I thought it would be. Mind you I havent played with the phase or anything. I did attach the SVS as-eq1 into the system after that but didn't calibrate it. Even with whatever the previous user's settings were, it did make the bass a little leaner. When I engaged low pass crossover on the emotiva preamp the bass was less peaceable however I could still tell the subs were there but not as much as before and it not bother me much. I think with some tweaking it will improve.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    First pic is with subs removed. Towers seem really close without the subs boxing them in!

I then moved each speaker sideways six inches and it looks better. I didn't really get to listen to it as the kids were on a post dessert sugar high!
    mt673zze5w75.jpg

2rgund5eh1uk.jpg
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Let me know how you like that sub eq.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gurot1
    edited February 2017
    Looking at that pic makes me want to clean things up a bit!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5