setting up PB13 ultra and lsim705

Comments

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    edited October 2016
    42jsfa1wyvch.jpg
    The left and right are about 68 inches apart. The tv is not exactly at the centre of the room; however, listening area is pretty centre of the room and centre channel is in the middle. Side of right speaker (not the cone) is approximately 24 inches from side wall. A little bit of toe in, but not a lot.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Lol the lsim705 and 706 used to look HUGE...dwarfed by the pb13's!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    That looks much better, enjoy. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gurot1
    Something inside me just wishes the left and right channels were separated by another foot.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited October 2016
    The 2 PB13's were up to no good while I was away...look what happened c1n50d243u4f.jpg
    ;) dont forget to practice safe subwoofering!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Okay, I'll bite.

What did you name the little one?
  • gurot1
    WTS wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite.

What did you name the little one?

LOL we haven't named it yet...took as a month to decide on our baby a few years ago.

The question is whether the sb2000 will grow some ports during puberty!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Tried a little one sub vs two sub listening. Was just the subs on with music full range (no crossover engaged). Tried each sub on own and then in combination with each other. First thing is I need to turn gain down on the corner one as the corner loading definitely makes a huge difference in volume. Since I running full range signal to them, the localizable when each on own, but less so when both on. Also, as I walk around room, the variance in bass seems less when both on. I can hear a variance with one sub and 2, but it seems a bit less with both subs on.

Still no name for the offspring...any suggestions?
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    gurot1 wrote: »
    Still no name for the offspring...any suggestions?

Thumper?
  • gurot1
    I will add that to the short list...."when i grow up I wanna be an sb16" is too loooong lol
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Finally watched a movie. We watched Interstellar yesterday....wow, the bass was.loud in the space shuttle scenes! And the avr was at -20. May need to use room compensation and put avr trim.down as.the bass.seemed.to.overpower the other speakers. May also be that the fronts.have issues.as.avr was setting a +12 dB on the trim for left and right and I had knocked it down.to 6 or less I think.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Finally watched a movie. We watched Interstellar yesterday....wow, the bass was.loud in the space shuttle scenes! And the avr was at -20. May need to use room compensation and put avr trim.down as.the bass.seemed.to.overpower the other speakers. May also be that the fronts.have issues.as.avr was setting a +12 dB on the trim for left and right and I had knocked it down.to 6 or less I think.

So there is such as thing as too much bass?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gurot1
    Lol there is when you are watching a movie with a two year old :)
    Need to tweak the settings now
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140

Not surprised with that movie.
  • gurot1
    I never knew it had that much bass in it. We decided we had to watch something on the system after it sitting idle for months. First movie with the pb13's!
    They did well!!!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • monepolk
    yeah that scene (space shuttle) will have you running for the volume control.
  • gurot1
    those scenes wanted me to go into the receiver's trim settings...but I was too lazy and just wanted to watch the movie. I didn't realise there was going to be that much bass in this movie...did put a grin on my face :)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • monepolk
    With the PB13 I'm sure there will be many more.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited January 2017
    That movie was barely watchable with the amount of bass with my dual PB13's. I had to dial down the bass in my pre's settings.

Can't believe it's taken you this long to set both those bad boys up!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gurot1
    The reason why is kids! Still not properly dialled in, but i had to start using them eventually. Even some of the background music in the movie was a bit too bassy
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Joey_V
    The reason why is kids! Still not properly dialled in, but i had to start using them eventually. Even some of the background music in the movie was a bit too bassy

Time to scale back
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    Interstellar was overkill to me, couldn't even enjoy it with all the bass. One of my fav's is Master and Commander, cannons sound like they're in the room. Did you say there's a window on the wall to the right, it would be nice to put that tv down to eye level, away from the window if not
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    WOW 2 PB-13Ultra's... I would like to see what 1 would do in my system. Current HSU VTF-2 rattles my house. I am only thinking of upgrading to VTF-3MK5 as that is the max my space would allow.

I did like Interstellar, great sound track.

Nice setup it will get better as the kids get older. Bummer you're not close to SoCal, I could build you a nice stand for that gear.

One question is, have you tried to stack the subs on top of each other in the right corner?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gurot1
    I did listen to a few minutes of Master and Commander the other week. The canons didn't rumble as much as my old ported velodyne, but they seemed much tighter.

I found the bass on some of the music in Interstellar a bit much. Most of the movie was fine though.

Once I finalize all my equipment, then I will most likely get/build a new rack. The problem with a rack is that equipment is always changing due to this site!

I have been wanting to put the subs on the inside of the front speakers potentially and to move the fronts further apart by about a foot, but the side wall would get very close then.

I have not tried stacking them...I would need to enlist help to pick up this puppy again.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mrloren
    "I have not tried stacking them...I would need to enlist help to pick up this puppy again"

awe come on, just bend at the knees and go for it.

Oh no wait, them be over 100lb and not everyone is a 6'1" 270lb Nordic warehouse guy.

Yes get some help. I don't think I would try it myself. well I might if I had them.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Personally, I don't see a benefit of stacking two highly capable subs like these. Co-location helps boost the output of lesser subs, but it doesn't seem like output is an issue here. If anything, seems like they might need to be dialed back a little. Separating these subs increases the potential for even response throughout the room, and is the way to go, IMHO.
  • mrloren
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see a benefit of stacking two highly capable subs like these. Co-location helps boost the output of lesser subs, but it doesn't seem like output is an issue here. If anything, seems like they might need to be dialed back a little. Separating these subs increases the potential for even response throughout the room, and is the way to go, IMHO.

Only time I stacked two was two PSW505 and it helped better than splitting them. These subs are well way way light years away from PSW505.

Gee I just need to win the lottery so I can try :)
  • Joey_V
    mrloren wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Only time I stacked two was two PSW505 and it helped better than splitting them. These subs are well way way light years away from PSW505.

Gee I just need to win the lottery so I can try :)

Let's have a group buy or something
  • gurot1
    There must be a bunch that have been returned to svs for upgrade program. The forum should set up a group buy
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    mrloren wrote: »
    WOW 2 PB-13Ultra's... I would like to see what 1 would do in my system. Current HSU VTF-2 rattles my house. I am only thinking of upgrading to VTF-3MK5 as that is the max my space would allow.

I did like Interstellar, great sound track.

Nice setup it will get better as the kids get older. Bummer you're not close to SoCal, I could build you a nice stand for that gear.

One question is, have you tried to stack the subs on top of each other in the right corner?

What type of design would you have in mind? I might attempt to build another one this summer. The black stand was my first real woodworking project about ten years ago! I not the best at it, but I have improved from that first attempt.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5