Last Steve Wilson Yes remix

Options

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I got Tales on vinyl when it came out and still have it. What Yes was doing back then is still hard to fully fathom. By the time Fragile came out they were a supergroup - I can't think of any of my friends who didn't have Close To The Edge - and that didn't listen to it every day. Tales was controversial, at least to the critics. Progressive rock is easy to bash, but Yes was one of the highest charting album bands in Billboard history. Tales topped the UK charts, and Yes had a whole bunch of albums in the top ten in the US. The fact that Yes is not in the Hall of Fame is an absolute disgrace. The fact that a singer of the caliber of Jon Anderson is scraping by is even more disgusting and an indictment of the predatorial music industry. I saw Jon several times recently with Jean-Luc Ponty and he's forming a new band with Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin, looking forward to seeing that soon.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Looking forward to it myself.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    What would be better DVD-A or Blew Ray?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    So -- what is the value-add of these remixes? E.g., as someone used to, say, Close to the Edge (a fairly good sounding album) on 1970s era (purchased new) vinyl, what would I hear that was different (better?) on such remixes?

This isn't meant as a thread-cr@p... I don't know anything about this guy or these remixes, and I am genuinely curious. There are a couple of Yes albums that I really like (and a few that I really dislike... but, again, that's not the subject!).

Thanks!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mhardy6647 all I have is the Close to the Edge remix and I really enjoy the 5.1 mix. I dont have the original redbook anymore to compare the new stereo mixes to. I do have some of his other remixes too, Tull and King Crimson and they are very good also. If you are into multi channel they are worth checking out, he does a good job with them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    No multi channel here; thanks for the info!
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mhardy6647 sorry I am we todd did. The Close to the edge that I have has: The original stereo mixes, the 2013 stereo remixes, the 5.1 mixes plus a whole bunch of other stuff like UK vinyl transfers, instrumental only versions, and additional tracks that are not on the original album. Now that I realize this I am going to try and get all of the Yes remixes for my collection.

Anyway does anyone have an opinion on which is better DVD-A or Blue Ray?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I would go for the blu-ray, but that is just me. I haven't heard it.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    cool that is what I just ordered.

Anyway I am really lame, these recordings have all kinds of stuff in a lot of formats LPCM? DTS? etc???
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I usually go DTS or SW Stereo, but it is fun to compare.
    As for a "Yes" band reboot, go for it. How about
    John Paul Jones for bass? John Wetton could do it in
    his sleep (and may if chosen)
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I ordered all of them after giving a good listen to the "Close to the Edge" that I already have. I highly recommend this one and look forward to getting the rest!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Wow DVD-Audio is still alive.... I think Oppo is the only manufacturer that still support's it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just may pick up CttE for the wife if it is that much improvement...
    I've read where it is just so-so and have the original LP (wife)
    and the CD w/ bonus tracks.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Now that I am taking the time, lots of different material alternates etc. I am having fun.