2016 Fall Audio Bash - North Texas

Comments

• gcegce Posts: 2,061
    I see Russ sportin an Eaton hat. We machine a lot of parts for Eaton Costa Mesa, one of our best customers. Have a nice nap Russ! ;)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30
    2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 2,699
    aldttimsg4n0.jpg

now, the usher be-10 dmd. what hit me most was the level of midrange detail, of course the details of the dmd tweeter was there without any harsh artifacts.
    the sound was fast and full. for speakers that big if you closed your eyes you could not tell they were in the room. i was listening tome alone in the room and so off into the music that skip's dad came in and thought i was sleep. he claims he called me three times :o
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,144
    Just made it back to CA. Now the stereo is up for a Sunday night session since I also took Monday off. Had a great Friday night having dinner and beers with Ron, Russ, and Mike. Then over to Skip's for the rest of Friday night, and more beers. My b u t t was dragging Saturday. :)

Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,707
    Wish I could've made it, but things aren't as predictable with a 3 week old. Try again next time.

Glad everyone had fun... Pics look good and systems look good.

Would've been nice to meet some new faces.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature B) ) -> new speakers -> :D
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3 -> :o
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> B&W PM1 -> o:)

Old Gear:
    Speakers: Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • It was good to meet LM1 again, Bluefox, and my fellow Texans on Friday night. I had to leave early Saturday.

Skip, as always, great host. His wife was awesome! Made dinner and breakfast the next day.

Audio...

The Big brother Ushers.. What to say, the mids were simply amazing. Given the setup and running on Dayens gear, without a doubt, the top three setups I have listened to the past two years. Number one and two is a toss up because of setup alone. The Wilsons and the Dynaudios. But they were powered by beasts.

The Ushers mids were spectacular. I could only imagine pairing those with beast amps. But we are talking multitudes difference in price. Mids are the 1 percent of market, where audio truly matters, the rest is about the bass and treble. It's much easier to achieve. Skips Ushers will smoke the big dawg Strads setup in DFW any day. You just gotta listen to real music, not the top 20 radio hits that some locals use as reference.

The new Polks. For the price, I would and will take them any day over what's offered in the market, given the price point. It is funny how so many acts like big ballers and talk high end and nit pick the new polks that cost under a grand. Anyhow. I like the new polks and my first impression.. Movies..

Halen

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,144
    halen wrote: »
    The new Polks. For the price, I would and will take them any day over what's offered in the market, given the price point. It is funny how so many acts like big ballers and talk high end and nit pick the new polks that cost under a grand. Anyhow. I like the new polks and my first impression.. Movies..

Halen, it was good to meet you. My LSi15s went to a good home. I agree about the new Polk speakers. They sounded great, and not even broken in. I also loved that 75" Sony 4K TV. D a m n. Now I want one, or a better one. :)

Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thanks Bluefox!!

The Sony 4K was impressive. Sony 4K projectors are also of no equal. if you want to beat it, LG OLED.

Halen.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,202
    Well, the last guests left about 25 minutes ago and I have time to do a little write up. This was one hell of a weekend. Friday was a 19 hour day for me and the vast majority was working. Luther and Marvin came early and helped with setup... Thanks guys. My wife fixed a great dinner for us guys.

Halen, Ron, Russ, Mike, and Bud showed up later in the night and we got some good listening sessions in and 95% of the rigs complete. Drinks and laughs were had and sometime after midnight, we shut it down.

Saturday started with my wife fixing us another great meal and us and Luther talked for an hour or so. We finally wrapped it up and finished the final touches around 11:00 am. Guys started showing up shortly after and continued to march in throughout the day. My old man made a heaping of brisket, smoked sausage, mashed potatoes, and others brought their own side dishes to fill out the rest. It was good eating all day.

I think all in all there were around 25 guys and gals that showed up. I got to see some old school polkies that don't frequent the forum much and catch up with them. Again drink and laughs overflowed the event. Most left very impressed with what Polk was doing with the signature series.

Polk did their part in making this a great event. They sent us damn near the entire line to get our ears and hands on and I want to thank them for that. D2lo believes in this community and has open ears. What he made happen for this event should highlight that fact. About half of the attendees got to take home a new Polk t shirt. My apologies go out to those that the RNG was not fortunate to.

Later Saturday night out the shots started pouring. We started with several but dwindled down to Russ and I carrying the load. I think I had a dozen or more shots over those few hours, and he was there by my side for most of them.

The party ended around 1:00 I think. This morning Luther took me and the misses out for a wonderful breakfast at Our Place. We spent another long breakfast chatting it up, then headed back. Again, Luther helped me put the house back together and break down the rigs. I can't thank him enough.

I hosted my parents for dinner tonight and then we went to my wife's community band concert. We got back home in time for Russ and Mike to stop by to pick up all the crap Russ couldn't say no to. I helped them load up and then we came back in to experience a 4K movie.... The Lego Movie. These guys couldn't get enough but decided to head out when my wife passed out.

Speaking of, I cannot tell you guys how wonderful my wife was at this event. She worked like a dog and made sure everyone felt like an important guest. She had a blast though and is looking forward to more of these events.

All in all, there were lots of music, lots of gear, lots of laughs, and even more drinks and food. This was easily top two meets in my book. I hope you guys who couldn't make it put a future one on the calendar.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,202
    edited October 2016
    BlueFox wrote: »
    halen wrote: »

Halen, it was good to meet you. My LSi15s went to a good home. I agree about the new Polk speakers. They sounded great, and not even broken in. I also loved that 75" Sony 4K TV. D a m n. Now I want one, or a better one. :)

Let's talk when the time is right for you. If I'm not the best price for you I'll even tell you where to go to get it. Those new Sony screens are legit though. They have reclaimed their place at the top of the market again. OLED is nice, but I honestly don't feel they are there yet. If they were, I think Sony would already have them. They have been in that market and decided to stick with LED instead... For the time being.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,386
    marvda1 wrote: »
    AT THE END OF THE DAY!ffj4cumsrgts.jpg

Russ had a long day.

Kids these days...no stamina.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,911
    Russ's stamina left with his epic beard.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 1,753
    edited October 2016
    Not a good look for an audio extravaganza there Russ. Time to connect that power cord and recharge the old batteries. Or perhaps he was saving the rest of his energy for a grand finale. Sure more details will emerge later.

Glad that everyone had a good time out at Skips, even those that didn't cross the finish line

Who got the award for longest distance? Not sure but it might have been one Bud (Blue Fox) all the way from San Jose. Now thats what I call being committed.

2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5A, 4.5, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,355
    marvda1 wrote: »
    AT THE END OF THE DAY!ffj4cumsrgts.jpg

Russ had a long day.

Obviously....he's wearing black socks with shorts and what possibly can be considered...a thong. :)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • WardswebWardsweb Posts: 726
    Here is how Saturday morning started out. Dining room

005.jpg
    Living room:Maplenoll turntable, Clearaudio Champion II turntable, Sonic Euphoria pre, Lounge phono pre, Shanling CD-T1500 sacd, Auralic Aries Mini DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers
    Sun room: DIY Class A 6H30 linestage, DIY "ST70" amplifier, Olive3 server, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Panamax M5400-PM power, SST Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
    living room
    006.jpg
    Living room:Maplenoll turntable, Clearaudio Champion II turntable, Sonic Euphoria pre, Lounge phono pre, Shanling CD-T1500 sacd, Auralic Aries Mini DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers
    Sun room: DIY Class A 6H30 linestage, DIY "ST70" amplifier, Olive3 server, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Panamax M5400-PM power, SST Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
    Den (living room 2)

007.jpg
    upstairs

009.jpg

010.jpg
    later in the day

016.jpg
    017.jpg
    018.jpg
    just kickin back

020.jpg
    Let me say, this was an awesome event. Skip and the Misses went all out and let us audio junkies invade their space. This was one of the best audio events I have attended. Everyone had a great time. Old friends were reacquainted and new friendships were made. There was more then enough music, food, fun and drink.

011.jpg
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 5,790
    Looks like no shortage of Kentucky bourbon! If its not inconvenient, can anyone put names to any of the faces in the photos? Thanks.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,783
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    later in the day

016.jpg

Harley shirt is Dennis (DKfreebird)
    Sitting next to him is (Tratliff)
    Russ in black socks (lightman1)
    Bud (Bluefox) grey long sleeve
    Ron (TXCoastal1) visor talking to Paul (PSOVLSK)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 2,699
    Love me some Be midrange, wonder if they will come out with a dmd midrange? :'(
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo
  • 02guy02guy Posts: 20
    Wow! What an amazing weekend! Much thanks to Skip and Carly for being such great hosts. Enjoyed meeting the "Texas Contingent". Great people and hospitality that will be remembered for a long time to come.
    Agree with others the big Ushers are in a league by themselves. I'm still having difficulty believing they were driven at that level by the little Dayens amps. Astonishing!
    Matt picked up his Polk Sig 20's today after about 6 hours listening here at my house on different amps and sources. Just damn impressive speakers that punch way above their weight for the money!
    Big thanks to everyone and am looking forward to being present at LSAF '17!
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 352
    glad you guys enjoyed the Signature Series. We are pretty serious about taking on the competition. I want other brands in our price points to be knocked out by the level performance and design we put into the Signature line. :-)
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,329
    edited October 2016
    We threw everything at them, D2Lo. Lossless, hi-rez, vinyl. Somewhere during the jam session, I think one us suggested an RTR! Couldn't find one. The big grin on Matts (HZTweaker) face just opening the crate was worth the 1100 mile drive to bring them to him.
    Whipped out some Steely Dan-Aja and the little buggers hit the mark. Tossed in some classical piano works and the keystrokes could be felt. Some thrash metal kinda spooked the 20's, so we backed off that.
    All in all, I'm glad the Sigs are getting out there and feel privileged to be amongst the first "consumer" to hear them.
    Matt didn't piddle on Mikes living room rug, so thumbs up there.
    Keep up the good work guys and bring back SDA's. B)
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,911
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Some thrash metal kinda spooked the Diana Krall crowd, so we backed off that.

Fixed that for ya. >:)
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,329
    Good one, Josh! :D They did NOT take well to triggered double bass drum kicks to well. Maybe crossed over at 120Hz and a fast, sealed 12" sub would take the heat off of them.