Polk T30 distortion

Options
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a new set of the T series speakers (pair of T50's and T15's and a center T30) These are replacing a set of Boston Acoustics I have that hook up to a Denon 1513 AVR. I'm having some trouble with distortion in the center T30 when I watch Blue Rays (I have never noticed anything during gaming and I don't listen to music on these speakers). It doesn't seem to matter what level volume I have it at although I tend to play it at high volumes for movie watching and this is when I notice the most. The thing is this distortion doesn't always happen and can handle loud sound effects good, it's when a persons voice hits certain octaves or volumes that it seems to create a slight distortion. In fact it's so slight I am not sure if it is just in my head or not, but it is enough to bother me. I tend to notice these things so it might not be something typical listeners notice, which is why I wanted to ask the forum about it. This same type of distortion occurred in my Boston's center channel so my question is what do you guys think is causing this? Is this maybe clipping by the receiver (I have good ears and know how to place and calibrate a surround set up properly, but the technical details of amps, receivers, and speakers go beyond me). I don't think I am giving these speakers more volume than they can handle, so my thought is my receiver is under powered. What are your thoughts and thanks a lot!

Cole

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Hey Cole! Welcome to the forum. I might not be able to assist but I will try my best. On your Denon is your center speaker set to large or small? Do you have any effects mode on or straight stereo signal?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    You probably have the volume knob turned up too high. Distortion usually happens when you enter clipping range. If your very much above 50% of the volume range of your AVR, dial it back.

You may want to look at a more robust AVR, especially if you have a large room.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    My guess is that you have a digital control circuit in your receiver that is bad. I have an Anthem MRX 300 that does this same type of distortion, but it only does it when I have the Dolby Volume circuitry engaged. As soon as I turn off this setting, the distortion is gone and is never present in any other form regardless of input or output. The distortion happens when the circuitry determines that it needs to control the dynamic peaks and isn't present at all times.

I know that this may not be relevant to your situation, but it seems similar.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Colec
    Colec Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys. I have the all of my speakers set to small so that shouldn't be the issue. The volume is above 50% but i have tried it at much lower volumes and it still reproduces the sound, plus on my Denon receiver if I'm not above 50% the sound is almost a whisper, put it this way, when my wife is trying to sleep I watch movies at about 50%.

Dennis, this is interesting. I am unsure where this setting might be, if I even have it but it sounds like it could be a potential solution. I will try and find this and adjust it.