Need to Power My RTi-A9's

Options
First off let me start by saying Hi, this is my first post to the forum. Looking forward to getting into some good discussions. Now, my question. I am building a new home theater and need to buy an AVR. I already bought me speakers and have 2 A9s for my fronts, a CSi-A6 center, 4 OWM5s for surrounds and a PSW125 sub. Can I power this setup with just an AV receiver, or do I need an external amp? A tech at Crutchfield recommended the Denon AVR-X7200WA (150W w/ 2 channels driven) but I'm not sure about spending $3000 on just a receiver. Would it make more sense to get a less powerful receiver and run an external amp? If so, will just a 2 channel amp work for the A9s and let the receiver run the center and surround speakers? Is there a possibility of damaging the speakers by not putting ENOUGH power to them? I know its a lot of questions, I've just never had a large setup like this before so I'm kind of in new territory. Thanks in advance for the help.....Mike.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Would it make more sense to get a less powerful receiver and run an external amp?

Yes.

You will need a separate power amp to properly drive the A9's. Recommend almost anything but emo or pro amps.
    Is there a possibility of damaging the speakers by not putting ENOUGH power to them?

Yes.

I'd also recommend getting a better sub.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Fireboy8
    Fireboy8 Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok, so an amp is the way I'm going to go. I keep hearing good things about Parasound, any advice on which would unit would be enough to drive the A9s? I didn't mention it before but this setup is primarily for watching TV/movies. I'm not shaking the house (my wife and 2 year old probably wouldn't approve.) The reason I have such big speakers is because I got them at a great price.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    +1 This kid knows his stuff. ^^^^^
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    +1 F1nut said on a power amp & sub
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Fireboy8
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Looks like I can pickup a decent sized Parasound for about $1000, which isn't hateful. If never purchased anything from Marantz. I've had Yamaha components in the past (I still run one of their powered subs on my 5.1 system) and I've used Sony and Pioneer. What size AV receiver should I be looking at to run the OWM5s and my CSi-A6? 90W, 150W, something in between? There is such a wide power rating on these speakers I'm not sure what's appropriate. Thanks again.
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    Options
    Fireboy, welcome and good luck w/ your eqpt. decisions. You've received good advice already. Not disputing any of it, however, I have a somewhat different take.

I have the RTi12s, the CSiA6, and RTi6s as surrounds, a CS350 (as the 6 in my 6.1 setup) powered with my Yamaha RX-A2030 140wpc AVR. My sub is an Outlaw LFM-1EX. Further, I listen to this in a great room w/ dining area adjoining the equipment end, and a kitchen adjoining the dining area. The estimated cubic footage is 7000 plus because of a 15' vaulted ceiling. All in all, not necessarily an easy area to deal with.

I mention all this because I received recommendations to acquire an amp, too. That my AVR would not be sufficient with those "power-hungry" speakers and room dimensions. Instead, I set the speakers up, went through the equalization process, and gave myself some time with different types of sources.

Admitting that I do not know nearly as much as some of the others here, and have not had the varieties of equipmental experiences as they have, I can say that the music and HT sounds I hear are a sheer delight. I cannot imagine being more satisfied (is possible that others have the equipment to change my mind). However, at the PRICE point . . . .

It is true that I do not listen at ear-bleeding volumes (that would be torturous to me), but that seems to be your situation for the foreseeable future, too (one 2-year old already. Perhaps more in the future?). So maybe the power and the expense are either unnecessary or premature for a good while.

Of course, a good part of the satisfaction comes from an excellent and powerful sub, and the suggestions to take another look there probably are good ones.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • jwb0007
    Options
    ^ DSkip, have read a number of your comments. Obviously, you know what you are talking about, so a few questions on this subject please:
    1. Outside of knowing someone with an amp who might be willing to bring it over to actually hear what a good amp might (or might not) do--and I don't think I know anyone like that--how do people find out if an amp really would helps what they hear?
    2. Brand? You mentioned the A23 for instance. The brand must be obvious to most--but not to those not in the amp "loop".
    3. Is that a 2 channel? I suppose a 2 channel is less expensive than a 3 or 4 or 5, etc., right?
    4. Given my RTi12 speakers (and not needing my volume to match the tarmac at the St. Louis airport), are those really the only speakers likely to see much benefit from an amplifier?
    5. Is there a "fair" price range for an amp suitable for my situation?
    6. How (un)comfortable should I be with a used amp, as price is/will be a consideration?

Thanks, and I hope I have not over-burdened you. Hopefully, your thoughts here will help to enlighten any others who are as inexperienced in this area as I am (not trying to hijack the thread).
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
  • jwb0007
    Options
    ^ Re above questions, if the answer is that a 2-channel amp would give me most of the benefit, might a sufficiently powerful additional receiver perform the same function? At lower cost? Or maybe not, as receivers seem to expire sooner than amps?

Thanks again.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^you need current which receivers lack and amps have^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jwb0007
    Options
    ^Thanks for the detailed responses. I understand somewhat better now. I know this is a non sequitur, but I struggle to think that a new A23 will cost more than my A4L Yamaha AVR!

Will think about this, and am open to inputs/options of eqpt.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^Preach it, brother!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    When I had my RTIA set up, A9's, A6, and 2 pairs of A3's I was using a harman kardon AVR 7550HD (which was a beast!). I thought too it sounded good, no amp needed. Then I picked up a sunfire tga 7401 on recommendation of this forum, I live in Canada and had zero way of demoing any amp at the time. So I took a leap of faith and dished out 3500 bucks for a sunfire amp. Hooked everything up, and immediately I noticed higher detail at lower listening levels, and a much fuller sound. I hadn't even pushed the system yet and I was sold. This was 6 years ago, and I still have my sunfire today, the thing ran a 7 channel lsi system without breaking a sweat. Not to say you need an amp of this caliber, but an amp with some high current will be a revelation, especially if You listen at higher levels.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jwb0007
    Options
    DSkip, I didn't take it any other way than that you were explaining your thoughts to me. And mentioning some facts. Obviously, you are cutting edge, and by virtue of my (likely) being older and tastes which may be more settled and modest, my pace of wanting or needing to "change with the times" is less pressing. I tend to wait for big changes (like HDMI and USB ports) to come and settle in a bit to establish themselves, and then that becomes my starting point for any "add-ons" of the time. And then I ride with them some years until the eqpt breaks, or the cumulative benefits of subsequent changes make an upgrade attractive. And affordable.

But you do have me thinking hard about an amplifier . . . .
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

• Fireboy8
    Options
    I'm really glad I asked some questions here, looks like I struck up a great conversation. Having never used an amp for home theater (only car audio) I was definitely in need of some advice. Looks like I'll be shopping for a good 2 channel amp to run my A9s and a good 7.1 receiver to power everything else. Thanks for all the advice, and for other users posing questions too. It's a great way to learn more.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    jwb0007 wrote: »
    DSkip, I didn't take it any other way than that you were explaining your thoughts to me. And mentioning some facts. Obviously, you are cutting edge, and by virtue of my (likely) being older and tastes which may be more settled and modest, my pace of wanting or needing to "change with the times" is less pressing. I tend to wait for big changes (like HDMI and USB ports) to come and settle in a bit to establish themselves, and then that becomes my starting point for any "add-ons" of the time. And then I ride with them some years until the eqpt breaks, or the cumulative benefits of subsequent changes make an upgrade attractive. And affordable.

But you do have me thinking hard about an amplifier . . . .

This is why a good many of us use amps, they can be used on any system you have now and in the future. The receivers will come and go but the amp will stay put till done.
    Fireboy8 wrote: »
    I'm really glad I asked some questions here, looks like I struck up a great conversation. Having never used an amp for home theater (only car audio) I was definitely in need of some advice. Looks like I'll be shopping for a good 2 channel amp to run my A9s and a good 7.1 receiver to power everything else. Thanks for all the advice, and for other users posing questions too. It's a great way to learn more.

Just make sure that the receiver you get has the necessary preouts to hook up an amp.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Parasounds work well with Polks.
    Yup
    A[n external] amp... ...will relieve some stress from your receiver allowing improve the performance of the other speakers as they get more power.
    I enjoy "effortless" SQ, due to separates.
    Every speaker benefits from an improved power source/amp. Some speakers[do] play nice with receivers. If you're powering A5s/Rti8s, while they would benefit, they don't stress the receiver nearly as much as the A9/Rti12.
    just 2 drivers versus 5 - far less back EMF
    For 200 watts and a good build quality, you can go used for as cheap as $300 (Adcom GFA-555)...
    Full range, 2 channel - a Belles Series I pumps out a measly but very robust 100 WPC. It will lift my RTi A7s off the ground w/out breaking a sweat!
    There is a whole world of used amplifiers that could make them sing. I haven't had an issue with a used power amplifier.
    Check my sig - you'll see some Circa 80s gear "gitin' 'er done."

Shaloam. Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • dalylaleahthor
    dalylaleahthor Posts: 322
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree with all of DSkip advice. I also owned a setup like your but with fxia6 and rtia3 thrown into the mix.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • jwb0007
    Options
    DSkip, the "you have me thinking" comment I made to you back on the 13th? I did act on it with a friend who also has been advising me similarly. Purchased a Yamaha M-65 for my 2 RTi12 fronts. Will be a couple of weeks before I pick it up, but am very much looking forward to its coming home.

Not sure what to expect, though, in terms of incremental improvement, as I really love the rich sound and balance I already have. But, it's time to find out!
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    My HT system has been dismantled in favor of 2 channel. The M&K "given" to a friend to use, PSB image 7PT's, 9C's and 10S's sitting in a corner collecting dust. The Denon 3802 gets occasional use powering a spare bedroom 2 channel system. So done with those days.