Thrift Store Score 1988 5JR+ lack of bass

Options
I found these at Sally Ann's, opened them up last night to confirm production year.

Some of the discussion threads around them indicate that replacing the crossovers should be step 1 in refurbishment, I think that would follow with the symptoms I'm seeing.

I've hooked them up to three different heads, a Pioneer VSX-D409, Harmon Kardon HK 3270, and a Yamaha RX-360. All three should have more than sufficient power to drive them but all three fail to provide much low end at all. Until I confirmed the series I thought I was dealing with a resistance mismatch issue.

I also need to find some replacement grills, but that's secondary...

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    check for air leaks. push in on the passive radiator and see if the mid stays out for like 3-4 seconds if it does not then you have air leaks and that will affect bass response.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I agree with @pitdogg2 also remove the PR and make sure the Dacron is shoved behind the mid driver. It should NOT be down behind the PR.

My Monitor 5s (Granted mine have an 8 inch passive not a 6.5) have low end but you can only ask so much from a Monitor.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nwlierly
    nwlierly Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't think I was clear enough about how severe it is, it's like they're not getting a quarter of the power they need - they appear to by physically intact, but I'll double check
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Have you checked the mids to see if they are siezed?
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Have you checked the mids to see if they are siezed?

this^^^^ push them in carefully and see if the move freely with no scrapping magnet shift is common.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Yeah I agree with @dkfreebird as well. If it is THAT severe then I would figure either the driver is seized or some of the cross over components are fried.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nwlierly
    Options
    I'll check again, but they didn't show any signs of it
  • nwlierly
    Options
    hmm mids could very well be frozen, mid doesn't want to do a thing until volume is near max...

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Physically press the midwoofers, gently and evenly, with your finger tips.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nwlierly
    Options
    magnets are out of alignment uggggfgggfffggfdbdbbdbd
  • nwlierly
    Options
    so glad to hear someone will save me from guess work

I managed to just about double output with a quick adjustment, but it's clearly not close to right based on ability to move the speaker freely
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks @la2vegas Yeah I can re-center and glue the magnet in place if you like. I offer a free re-centering service to help out Club Polk members who fall victim to magnet shift. Wrapping up some 6501s right now so you're welcome to send them my way for re-centering or to trade out of my current stock of re-centered drivers. Shoot me a PM!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)