Pass Labs X1 on Audiogon

Options
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-x-1-linestage-preamp-lots-of-positive-reviews-6-000-msrp-2016-06-13-preamplifiers-07624-closter-nj

If you are looking for a preamp that will take your rig to that next level, this is an endgame piece for not a lot of coin... no affiliation here, just passing it along.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looks like a good deal, particularly if you're running a Pass power amp(s) downstream.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    I find it pairs very well with quality tube power. My system has been on an entirely different level since it joined my Carver amps.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    If I wasn't completely and totally in love with my Cary SLP-03, I would snag this in a heartbeat. Someone is getting a smoking deal on that thing.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    If I wasn't completely and totally in love with my Cary SLP-03, I would snag this in a heartbeat. Someone is getting a smoking deal on that thing.
    This pre will make the Cary a distant memory. I tried a few tube preamps but for some reason, this one is able to provide details and warmth to music that no other combo could touch. I think an offer of 1700 would likely be enough to grab it.

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I would be all over it if I had an amp to pair with it
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    This pre will make the Cary a distant memory. I tried a few tube preamps but for some reason, this one is able to provide details and warmth to music that no other combo could touch. I think an offer of 1700 would likely be enough to grab it.

Synergy my friend.
    I have it in spades right now. Things are really gelling and making me warm and tickley in all the right places.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I tickled him in a special place one evening. Now he won't stop calling.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Synergy my friend.
    I have it in spades right now. Things are really gelling and making me warm and tickley in all the right places.
    Just a wee bit too much information...

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Silly question . . .
    anyones thought on how this would mate with the Pass Aleph 30?

Me thinks the pre would be over-kill . . . i.e. too good for the Aleph, no?

Set me straight

TY
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I would think this a great pairing actually. my reasoning is that it would elevate the performance of the Aleph to its full potential, and would be an endgame pre as you move further up the chain. I have heard this pre on a Sunfire Cinema Signature and it also was taken to the next level

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Silly question . . .
    anyones thought on how this would mate with the Pass Aleph 30?

Me thinks the pre would be over-kill . . . i.e. too good for the Aleph, no?

Set me straight

TY

Not at all. If I wasn't so heavily invested in tubes, I would have bought this.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I cant tell from the pics but does this have 2 sets of outputs?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Sold
    I offered 16, they countered 18
    I didn't act fast enough . . . Gone
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I wish someone here could have brought it home.

• WagnerRC
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I picked it up before it was too late. Reading your review and thoughts sealed the deal.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I picked it up before it was too late. Reading your review and thoughts sealed the deal.

YES!!!!!

Congrats man. Just one thing... set it up and plug it in, then forget it for a couple days. If ever you needed proof that things need to warm up to sound their best, this is it. It will reward your ears with incredible detail, warmth and musicality.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    ... AND WE NEED YOUR REVIEW...

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    Nice score! Give it some time to settle in. You just upped your audio experience tenfold.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • GlennDog
    Options

Congrats! I'm glad it went to a Polkie ...
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    open to comments on pairing this pre up with the Pass Labs XA 30.5 Thanks
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    How could you go wrong with that combo.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • GlennDog
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Snag the F7 on the 'gone

I'm going to duck n' cover
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    open to comments on pairing this pre up with the Pass Labs XA 30.5 Thanks

Very nice way to go, but if you can swing some high power tubes, I think that would be the way to roll.

• WagnerRC
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Speakers?
    DSkip wrote: »
    Speakers?[/quote

I have paradigm s 8 and s 6 here
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Snag the F7 on the 'gone

i have not seen any reviews. I am trying to make this a system to end the game of upgrade.

I thought the mf m6500i would have but it did not,
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

i have not seen any reviews. I am trying to make this a system to end the game of upgrade.
    There is no end, just a long pause in between for the wallet to recover.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Snag the F7 on the 'gone

Still haven't worked the kinks out with the MF ? Too warm....too rounded on the notes ? I'm almost thinking something is amiss with that unit judging by your past posts.

In any event, sell it then and move on. Not every thing we try is going to be a keeper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    has it arrived yet?

• WagnerRC
    Options
    Yes but the box is still sealed...... The amp just shipped from the south east. Life is good .
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Snag the F7 on the 'gone

Still haven't worked the kinks out with the MF ? Too warm....too rounded on the notes ? I'm almost thinking something is amiss with that unit judging by your past posts.

In any event, sell it then and move on. Not every thing we try is going to be a keeper.

Tony is m6si seems so much better than the 500 . I actually swapped places with the 2 this morning. The m6si in size and stature is much more of a bargain.

I really like the performance of the 200 wpc vs the so called 500 wpc of the beast.

I listed the 500 yesterday. On the Gon. That is on mother to move with the short feet that mf puts on that amp. What. Were they thinking. Damn