Armaflex strip length

Hello All,

As soon as the R0198-1 tweeters from Polk show up I am going to begin taking apart my new (to me) 2.3tl's. If the gaskets are anything like the ones in my old SDA 1-Cs they will need replacing.

I know I need to trim my 2" wide Armaflex to a half inch wide... but I think it would go easier if I could start by cutting the wide tape to around the right length to go around an MW6510. My maths say around 20" long per driver should be ample, and provide for fine trimming during installation... anyone with direct experience have an suggestion?

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Measure twice, cut once.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    zplyonz wrote: »
    Hello All,

As soon as the R0198-1 tweeters from Polk show up I am going to begin taking apart my new (to me) 2.3tl's. If the gaskets are anything like the ones in my old SDA 1-Cs they will need replacing.

If you mean compressed, well they are supposed to be.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited June 2016
    zplyonz wrote: »
    Hello All,

I know I need to trim my 2" wide Armaflex to a half inch wide... but I think it would go easier if I could start by cutting the wide tape to around the right length to go around an MW6510. My maths say around 20" long per driver should be ample, and provide for fine trimming during installation... anyone with direct experience have an suggestion?
    A quick consult tells me 18.86" if the diameter is 6", and 20.42" for 6.5" diameter.

And @F1nut is correct, the stock gaskets are very thin, and should've only needed replacement if they were damaged.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Cut a 1/2" strip longer than needed. Test the length and cut off the excess.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"