Need a bearing puller recommendation

Options
Hello,
I'm looking for a way to remove two R6z bearings from a through hole mounting assembly. These have a 3/8" bore diameter and are used in a tape deck flywheel coupled tension pulley.
Thanks, Ken

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    How about a 3/4" x 2" pipe nipple, 1/4" x 1" flat washer, 1/4" x 1/2" flat washer, 1/4" x 3" bolt and a 1/4" nut. Pull the bearing into the nipple by tightening nut over 1" flat washer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Well, that sounds like a possible plan but there's a bearing at both ends so it's difficult to put anything behind either bearing. But, I did find a suitable hammer type extractor on eBay that looks like it will work.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    I always grab a bigger hammer but that's just me...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I always grab a bigger hammer but that's just me...

That's not what she said
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Ken, if I understand what you are describing correctly a punch through the center will drive out the first bearing and create easy access to the second.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I should have provided more information, here is a photo of the complete assembly.uqjfilroc9j6.jpg
    You can see the shaft on the left which has a wide end that the tape goes across. This then fits into the piece in the middle which uses two bearings to support the shaft and then the weight goes on the other end of the shaft. This provides a low friction way to smooth the tape's flow and provide a small amount of back tension to better wrap the tape across the heads.
    I already have pullers for removing flywheels and pulleys but none of them would work with the small bearing opening. After getting creative on eBay I found one that is supposed to work with 3/8" bores.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,431
    Options
    interesting little project, Ken.
    are those divots drilled into the right side of the flywheel for balancing you think?
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^yes those would be for balancing^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I believe that is correct, it weighs 2.84lbs, now that I have a nice scale. Here is a link to when I began with this project:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2174522#Comment_2174522
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,431
    Options
    holy cow, Ken - have you been working on this since 2012?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ken, like I said above all you need is a punch. You'd want a small diameter, flat tip that is long enough. Stick it in the hole on a slight angle so that the tip contacts the inner race, then start tapping the punch with a hammer as you guide the punch around in a circle until the bearing drops.

I'd have those out in less than 30 seconds.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Jesse, I'm a little concerned that approach could cause the bearing to jam in the spindle housing. The advantage of the puller is the pulling force is produced evenly around the inner race and pulls straight out. I'd never find another housing at this point.
    Wow, I knew I'd been on this for a while, but not that long. I tend to let the refurbishing process get a bit out of hand (I need a project manager to tell me to stop being so anal and move on). I decided that I should replace all of the internal cabling with Cardas coaxial cable as well as have a custom volume control made.
    Then, I thought why not get the Ampex 351 up and running since it uses vacuum tubes and could be great sounding. So, I set the Tapesonic's electronics aside and got the 351 transport looking good and started working on the three electronics I have.
    Then I found out about the Dehavilland KE 222 playback electronics and the ability to switch between different playback EQs. So, I started saving up to buy the 222 and wanted the Tapesonic to be able to play 4 track tapes that's when I found the problem with the tension flywheel.
    I also lucked out and found a new set of high impedance playback heads for the 351 made by JRF Magnetics. I've learned a lot working on the 351 and the Tapesonic, there is a great online support for Ampex products.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I understand Ken. Since I've done it a few hundred times or more it's easy for me. The trick is to tap lightly as you work the punch around the race.

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another thing is I like finding different tools, a junior mechanic I guess.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Another thing is I like finding different tools, a junior mechanic I guess.

A wise man once said "Objects will give you happiness."
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, the bearings have been replaced, but not easily. I ordered, from eBay, a bearing puller system that was supposedly for 3/8" center opening bearings. Not quite, it was for 10mm bearings which is larger than 3/8" (9.5mm). So, rather than return this I decided to use my Dremel and grind down the ends of the tool so it would fit. A couple of hours later I finally cut off enough to get it to fit into the hole and still grip the inside of the bearings. I stuck the new bearings in the freezer for a few hours and got them seated.
    Lessen learned was to always ask the seller if something is really as described.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Or just grab a punch and hammer. ;)

President of Club Polk