Console OS

In the process of building an HTPC in hopes of getting unshackled to DirecTV.

Mini-ITX/i5 processor/8GB ram. I am in the process of deciding what OS I want to go with and in my many searches on the internets came across this...

https://consoleos.com/

Android OS for the desktop PC. I like Android so I think I'm going to give this a try.

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I'm going to be honest. I looked all over and ALMOST went with Kodi via OpenELEC. But then I stumbled onto PLEX server and decided to go with Windows OS running Plex Server.

I haven't looked back. In my case I only needed the HTPC to really be a content server as I have Roku/Xbox One's that are the actual players.

I love Plex and would never go back to Kodi unless I had no choice.

The other nice thing is that in a pinch I can use the HTPC as a regular computer should my old one break down.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    I use Plex and Kodi on my Fire TV's. I like them both but use Kodi more when watching movies because Kodi supports DTS audio and Plex doesn't.

With Console OS you can set up dual boot with whatever Windows OS you want to go with.
  • EndersShadow
    D'prived wrote: »
    I use Plex and Kodi on my Fire TV's. I like them both but use Kodi more when watching movies because Kodi supports DTS audio and Plex doesn't.

With Console OS you can set up dual boot with whatever Windows OS you want to go with.

Thats cool!

Plex does DTS HD and TrueHD I thought....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited June 2016

Thats cool!

You are right... according to this web page Plex supports all that but I swear I have never seen those menu's under settings. Maybe it's for the pay and not the free version? Anyone know?
    Or it could be that I'm running Plex on Android. I read that Android doesn't support DTS-HD. I'll have to load it on my HTCP and see if that menu comes up.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208053067-Settings-for-Plex-Media-Player
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Ubuntu is legally free and then of course Plex.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow

Thats cool!

You are right... according to this web page Plex supports all that but I swear I have never seen those menu's under settings. Maybe it's for the pay and not the free version? Anyone know?
    Or it could be that I'm running Plex on Android. I read that Android doesn't support DTS-HD. I'll have to load it on my HTCP and see if that menu comes up.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/208053067-Settings-for-Plex-Media-Player

Its likely the device your using doesnt support it, not Plex. Plex defers to whatever your source is.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    I dumped cable TV 5 years ago.
    I use Hulu+ with no ads, Netflix, and iTunes for super new movie releases.

Can't beat Hulu+.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma