SDA 3.1tl resto-mod

Picked up a pair of "well loved" SDA 3.1tl speakers for $200. Yuck, but sounds like a fun project. All the drivers were in place and in good shape except for pushed-in dust caps.

r55396qtfnhi.jpg
xvyi614p1t9j.jpg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded

Comments

• gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    Off with the end caps (which are glued in place). Used a hand sledge from the inside. Not too bad.p2ovkcf0m2z7.jpg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • gwg_97
    edited June 2016
    Built some new end caps with 3/4" mdf and made them flush with the cabinet using a router, trim bit, brads, glue, and good old bondo. Then I used a heat gun to remove the damaged black vinyl from the front and back of the cabinets.au8506ub5yik.jpgju8il5rdq3rk.jpg

• gwg_97
    With the side panels off the grills no longer fit flush with side of the cabinet. Time to break out the router again. I clamped the grill frames to the cabinet and cut them flush with the side of the cabinet using a trim bit and then did a 1/2" round over (as was used on the original grill). qhorptc7hw9c.jpg

• What are you going to use to replace the vinyl? Nice job getting them cleaned up
  • gwg_97
    Thanks! I'm covering all sides with raw cherry veneer.
    vqzkom7cbmav.jpeg

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2016
    Interesting choices, awaiting the finished product..... if I was going that far with the reveneer, I would choose a inlaid magnet system for the grills so that the ugly ball joint system was replaced. meniscusaudio.com/grille-fasteners-c-108.html
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    They're going to be beautiful, and a very unique pair for sure.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Interesting choices, awaiting the finished product..... if I was going that far with the reveneer, I would choose a inlaid magnet system for the grills so that the ugly ball joint system was replaced. meniscusaudio.com/grille-fasteners-c-108.html

I would second this idea, when the Cherry Veneer is finished, you will always want to leave the grills off when listening, just to admire them.

I also like the way you have trimmed the top caps and grill frames to be flush with the cabinet, I never really like the slight over-hang either.

Looking forward to the finished product, I'm betting your new 3.1's will be gorgeous!

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,147
    Great project. Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing them when you are finished.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    Very nice!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Looking great.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Awesome idea with the cherry veneer, Will you be updating the electronics too? Looking forward to the finished product. Good luck and good sound. You will be a happy camper.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Looks amazing.

I have a set of 3.1s that I will look to revive one day as well. I wanted to refinish the caps on mine due to water damage. I know that the endcaps on the 3.1s are not the "removable" type like on the 1.2s and 2.3s. I thought about trying to build that functionality into mine once I take the caps off - like you've done with making it flush but then putting the caps on top of that. However, I wondered if the slight change in volume on the speaker interior would somehow affect the sound at all. I figured they were built with a certain volume in mind, and if basically putting in two sheets of plywood on the inside would somehow alter things. Maybe someone can answer that - or you can once they are up and running. They do look pretty amazing though. Don't know if I have the skills at this point to do what you're doing. Wish I did.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • westmassguy
    Definitely the nicest pair of 3.1s I've seen, simple, eloquent. The slab top and bottom with wrap-around grill cloth is old hat. Add some nice spikes, or even outriggers with spikes, running front to back. Excellent work.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Looks amazing.

I have a set of 3.1s that I will look to revive one day as well. I wanted to refinish the caps on mine due to water damage. I know that the endcaps on the 3.1s are not the "removable" type like on the 1.2s and 2.3s. I thought about trying to build that functionality into mine once I take the caps off - like you've done with making it flush but then putting the caps on top of that. However, I wondered if the slight change in volume on the speaker interior would somehow affect the sound at all. I figured they were built with a certain volume in mind, and if basically putting in two sheets of plywood on the inside would somehow alter things. Maybe someone can answer that - or you can once they are up and running. They do look pretty amazing though. Don't know if I have the skills at this point to do what you're doing. Wish I did.

I did this very thing to my 3.1TL's, the original caps were trashed so I added a new base (recessed inside the cabinet) for replacement caps to be glued or bolted onto.

DSCN0291_zps44b890e6.jpg

The new cap in place

010800x600_zps081e585a.jpg

I also wondered about the internal cabinet volume dimensions that was displaced by the new "cap bases" that I installed, I installed the new top and bottom bases on both cabinets.

I think they sound wonderful and wouldn't concern myself if I were you!

• Mike Reeter
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    Great idea to use the magnets but unfortunately I already used the Titebond II iron-on method to glue the veneer down. I'm happy withe results but the veneer ended up splitting a bit (not a big surprise). I will do the Crossovers, dynamat, RD0198s, etc. after the cabinets are done. Sonicaps on the high pass and either sonicaps or a less expensive set of caps on the low pass (daytons?). Any suggestions?

I would stay with Sonicaps throughout, you don't want to have any "what if's" with this beautiful set of SDA's!!!

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    All the work is certainly IMPRESSIVE!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I did this very thing to my 3.1TL's, the original caps were trashed so I added a new base (recessed inside the cabinet) for replacement caps to be glued or bolted onto.

I also wondered about the internal cabinet volume dimensions that was displaced by the new "cap bases" that I installed, I installed the new top and bottom bases on both cabinets.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and glad to hear your thoughts on what impact the new caps have on the overall sound. I'll probably go that route then when I get around to restoring the ones I have. Of course, looking at the creativity with the 3.1TLs in this thread could make me want to try something else. :)
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Mike Reeter

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and glad to hear your thoughts on what impact the new caps have on the overall sound. I'll probably go that route then when I get around to restoring the ones I have. Of course, looking at the creativity with the 3.1TLs in this thread could make me want to try something else. :)

Ha!, yes gwg_97 has me daydreaming about a "Winter Project" ;)

• westmassguy

Ha!, yes gwg_97 has me daydreaming about a "Winter Project" ;)
    Get 'er' done Mike
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • willwilly
    willwilly Posts: 185
    Sweet build... I'm hooked!
    Will I am
  • Are you taking measurements by any chance? I am not sure anyone would ever want to do scratch built cabinets but it would be nice to have accurate measurements just in case.

• gwg_97
    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the comments! I got a few coats of Daly's Profin on them over the weekend and that's it. My Dynaco had some magic sparks on Saturday :'( and I was really busy.

I think I'll build some outriggers for these guys ASAP (great suggestion). Also, I'd be happy to take some measurements if anyone is interested.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    gwg_97 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the comments! I got a few coats of Daly's Profin on them over the weekend and that's it. My Dynaco had some magic sparks on Saturday :'( and I was really busy.

I think I'll build some outriggers for these guys ASAP (great suggestion). Also, I'd be happy to take some measurements if anyone is interested.

If your lazy like me (which given what your doing is doubtful) there is a company that MAKES outriggers so you'd just need to install them. May save you time later on.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 721
    Fantastic choice with the cherry veneer!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • gwg_97 wrote: »
    Also, I'd be happy to take some measurements if anyone is interested.

I am interested in having measurements. Thank you
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    I'd LOVE to see pictures of the finished cabinets!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • gwg_97
    Update, I have about 5 coats of Daly's ProFin (wiping varnish) on them now. I need to wait about a month before I can do a "hand rub" with a 2000 grit Abralon pad. If all goes as planed, they should have a nice satin finish when I am done. Time for the crossovers, dynamat, etc.

I'll post measurements/dimensions tonight. m492dcm7pppc.jpg