Proper Amplification for new Denon/Polk AV system.

Havent put together Audio since my 1970s Pioneer QX 949 and JBL L-100 Stereo system.
This is what I have so far, all componets are new.
Denon X4200W (125 watts?) AVR
2 RTia9s
Center CSia6
2 Polk 110 Subwoofers
No surround yet, I haven't figured out how to wire them in my large high ceiling living room or the walls.
I will have 5.1 or 5.2 surround but perfer just stereo for music.
I have learned the basic AVR functions, and my AVR has pre amps outs for everything.
I am still confused about what combinations of speakers I need Amps for in my 5.2.
Q... I now know that I need additional stereo amplification for my a9's. they are rated 50 to 500 watts so what power rating would be good, I hear Parasound over and over, my budget is about $1000 max for now.
Q...do I need additional amplification for the Subwoofers?
Q...how about the center channel and the surrounds...will the 125 watts (?) of the AVR support them okay? The A6 is rated about 20 to 200 watts.
Still unsure of amp assignments etc.
Any help would be appreciated, I have worked overseas for many years and am putting this together in anticipation of returning home for good. I should have done more homework on this forum but so far I have learned much for the Polk Club thank you.

Best Answers

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Answer ✓
    Usually recommended 200 or more watts. Current is more important. With as many woofers as your driving, I would look at least 40 amps peak-to- peak. More would be better.

To little power kills speakers. Then again, 200 watts of crappy power is worse than 150 watts of clean power.

Answers

• SoCalSteve
    SoCalSteve Posts: 11
    Did NOT know my Polk 110 have self contained amps...got in a hurry and a little (lot) sloppy picking those out. Hope they are okay, I see my AVR has 2 Sub outputs thanks!
  • SoCalSteve
    Still stuck on the "amp should be rated at 50% more watts that speaker RMS" guideline.
    But since the A9 rating is so varied...50 to 500W, common watts values for most of these AB amps are 200 or so, is that going to be enough for the A9s?
  • SoCalSteve
    Peak to Peak of 40 or more! Thanks.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2016
    This is 60 amp peak to peak. No affiliation, would drive your A9's well.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173114/parasound-hca-1500a#latest
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I might reconsider those 2 POLK 110 subs also. Your A9's are just as good in the bass department imho. A badder subwoofer is needed with those towers. Look at Polks bigger subs from the DSW line or micro pro line or go SVS subs or HSU subs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SoCalSteve
    Roger on the subs, I bought those without much thought and paid much less than full price-when I actually get home and hear this system perhaps in the fall, I agree with you the subs may get replaced. I actually never cared too much for subwoofers as I like stereo for my audio but I thought I would get something for the surround experience. Cant wait to hear the A9s. Motorhead and tonyb thanks for those recommendations I am looking at them now.
  • SoCalSteve
    I managed to aquire an HVC-1500...thanks for steering me in that direction, what wall mounted surround sound speakers would fit with this Denon AVR, Polk Rtia9, Vtia6, system so far?
  • SoCalSteve
    And dare I start a contentious debate by asking what brand or type of cables should I start looking for, to hook all the's components up with?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    SoCalSteve wrote: »
    And dare I start a contentious debate by asking what brand or type of cables should I start looking for, to hook all the's components up with?

Good ones...... ;)
  • SoCalSteve
    How about good and affordable?
  • SoCalSteve
    Thank you for the clue in on cables...had no idea it was so involved, and important these days, I will get up on these cables and start shopping!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2016
    SoCalSteve wrote: »
    I managed to aquire an HVC-1500...thanks for steering me in that direction, what wall mounted surround sound speakers would fit with this Denon AVR, Polk Rtia9, Vtia6, system so far?

The FXiA6's of course.

As mentioned.......those subs will never keep up the the A9's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SoCalSteve
    I have so little time working in afghanistan that I went right past the image of the FX1A6 and didn't notice it is a wall mounted trapazoidial...is that a real word?....shaped speaker.....duh. Okay then if I can figure a way to run speaker cable thru the wall and attic for these speakers I am in business with a 5.2 at least. The subs...are supposedly a 100 watt amp but I don't doubt they may be a mismatch...so off to ebay they may go. Thx!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/v1800

Something like this will compliment those A9's nicely. If you happen to be a bass head, they have bigger ones.