Headphones | Replacement/Upgrade of Captive Cable?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,434
Hey guys,
any of you guys ever upgraded/replaced a set of captive headphone cables?

The cable on my old Bose TP-1A headphone is cracked and probably going to tear away soon. (see right cup)

I like these headphones and would like to keep them going.
Any info/recommendations appreciated.

l3swerf3ylqs.jpg
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    maybe PM Doug?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    Options
    yeah, I'd like to see about converting these to detachable if that's possible.

good idea, D, I'll see.
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I saw this at Sonic Craft web site

the wire:
    http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-4x24-awg-shielded-p-1911

the connectors:
    http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/connectors-headphone-c-24_316

they have the ones for my Sennheiser HD650's
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    @ALL212 did something with his IIRC...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Sure...throw me under the bus! :o

Mine are Sennheisers with the fully detachable cable. Not easy but compared to this a piece of cake!

The problem will be with the can end of this - somehow you've got to dig out the wire that leads to the speakers and I'd bet it's about 250 gauge....makes a hair look huge!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    Options
    hahaha :)

Well, this is good info so far, guys. I'd really like to try to do something for them, but I think I'm going to have a find a set of phones to use while I'm messing with this.

Darryl, thanks for those links - I'd feel right comfy with the Cardas wire.
    I do wonder - I know nothing about headphones, but I see talk of impedance and such for various headphone amps. Is this something I need to be concerned with with the wire I choose? These are pretty simple as far as headphones go.

The wire does seem pretty small - you can kind of see it through the crack in that photo I posted, if that gives any sense of scale - but it is a pair, and not that tiny combo stuff in the jacket that they do with earbuds. I made an earbud repair last year. so sloppy, but it worked. that wire has that - what is it?, some kind of plastic insulation on the individual wires that you have to burn off before you can even solder it. it's miserable stuff to work with, for sure, when you really don't know what you're doing.

I'd love to do a conversion to jacks and make a nice cable. I'll have to have a closer looks to see what I'm working with and what I can fit

ALL - Do you have your Senns project detailed?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    Options
    ahhh....somewhere....

You'll have to secure and anchor those speaker wires. Not sure what to do about that. The rest of the project is easy.

I prefer Mogami over Cardas and I have heard both of them.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    Options
    cool, thanks, I'll poke around to see if there's anything here. I guess I could wander over the head-fi as well.

they're secured inside the shell. with a knot. lol

oh yeah, Mogami - I've been curious about them as well. I see their cable used in some of the soldering tutorials I was watching.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    Options
    See if this link works - I didn't review it - was just shocked I posted it here!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/146855/diy-sennheiser-hd650-cable-build/p1
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire