Definitive BP8060ST

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,042
Has anyone owned or heard these? With the close out pricing, I decides to pick up set of the 8060 and the 8020 just to mess around with. I was just curious f anyone had any thoughts or experience to share?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• VR3
    Options
    If I like the 8060, ill probably keep them for my future home theater, I'm most likely going to be selling the 8020 set, they were giving extra off if you bought three at a time.

I'm really curious to see how the forward focus bipolar array sounds and how non mirrored bass sections perform in my room.

Appreciate any thoughts and experience with this series.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    I have the 8040s and love them. Not as refined as my Polk LSi but a great theater speaker with punch. Imaging is so so because of the bipolar nature. I was offered the 8060s with the Atmos upgrade for $800 total. I passed since I didn't really see the advantage for my room and instead got a Supercube 4000
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    They are simply put AMAZING!!! If they are anything less then Retail , they are a steal. They are remarkable in every sense of the word. The 8060' are incredibly detailed and spacious. I think they sound WAY better then all previous BP series speakers.
    They are Dollar for Dollar one of the very best speakers on the market period.

I have Installed the entire BP line many times and never once was less then Blown away.
    When this series came out, I damn near sold my Mythos ST's and got the 8080's, the entire package. I'm still considering getting the 8080 center channel which sounds incredibly full solid and anchored. Man what a great line of speakers.

Why you gotta juice me all up like this???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    Options
    Interesting, I picked them up $700 shipped out the door sealed the box and a pair of the 820 for $400 shipped sealed in the box. Little excited now :P
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Interesting, I picked them up $700 shipped out the door sealed the box and a pair of the 820 for $400 shipped sealed in the box. Little excited now :P
    Where did you get them?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mantis
    Options
    Thats an amazing deal dude. Awesome man!!!
    Dan
  • VR3
    Options
    Definitive sells their stuff through bajawaverunner. All of the items are brand new but marked as refurbished worth no warranty. I've literally bought dozens of items from him, never any issues. They are blowing out the line on eBay.
  • mantis
    Options
    Looking forward to your review once you get them.
    Dan
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    edited June 2016
    Options
    In one of my home set ups I switched out a pair of 8060's for a pair of 9040's.

I think the 9040's actually outperform the 8060s... 9060s are just monsters. At the office we have a living room type listening room with 4 9060s with the AMOS modules and a CS9060.... shakes the building with those 5 subs going at once. I always demo this Game of Thrones clip that has a ship explode. To my ear, the same level of improvement the 8000s where over previous BPs, the 9000s take it a step further. Same depth of impact, better midrange clarity, and a bit more musical would be how I describe them when I A/B them.

This is what they look like at my house (ignore the soundbar, just there for testing).... BTW I brought these home on the night of my 16th wedding anniversary.... try explaining to your wife that 16 is the speaker anniversary :-)

xzvlqxrtbyzr.jpg
    a9yn3auszo8t.jpg
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Those look slick. I really like the base on them. I like your neat and tidy set up.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• VR3
    Options
    My next setup is going to be strictly HT and background music but I am a few years from actually having a "system" - I just picked up the 8060 and the Atmos height modules along with the 8040 and 8020 (to flip) since it is such a good deal. I believe I want to do the 8060 + atmos height modules, with in celing surrounds, in ceiling center and SVS Ultra 13 sealed and whatever Pioneer Elite is big at that time and a Xbox one as the source. Keep it simple setup.

The 8060s arrived and are breaking in now, I like them more than the 8020 already but the 8020 are super impressive for their size.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    You? Simple? I've seen your work, Trey. Over engineering is your first step to a project. Ha!
  • VR3
    Options
    I just left my buddies house where we set up the BP8040ST... his setup is super simple... straight out of his Samsung DVD player L/R, into a Parasound 125 watt amplifier and then to the speakers.

We threw on some music and a few blu rays... I must admit, I was impressed what those little guys could do, especially for movies. I have my 8060s running right now, letting them break in.

I can honestly say this series is the best sounding mids I have ever heard from Def Tech, they did a fantastic job compared to their earlier series in the mids/highs.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    How do they hold up against the mythos st or sts?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • maandjojo
    maandjojo Posts: 293
    Options
    Just to say, many thanks for this thread. I was on a search for a pair speakers that would do double duty main speakers. The best sounding speaker that I've owned were a pair of Maggie 1.7. Only problem I just could't get over the lack of bass. So I've since tried to find the right blend. GoldenEar triton 2 speakers gave me quite a bit, but it just wasn't quite there. Let those go and picked up a pair of Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESLs, a very good speaker, but still left me searching. I picked those up at Crutchfield so could demo them.
    I had read this thread last week and since then did some reading on the BP8060s and decided to give them a try. Ordered those from Amazon for a decent price and I think they have found there forever home. They seem to have my sweet spot. Spacious, wide and deep 3d soundstage, some of that floating on air of the Maggies and all the base you will ever need. Just a superb speaker.

Thanks again,
    Joe
    Joe
  • D2Lo
    Options
    I know you guys are talking about the 8000s, but thought you might like to see these videos explaining the 9000 range:
    https://youtu.be/75WEVjja070

A little behind the scenes with the engineers and designers:
    https://youtu.be/RvH_k8XaoXQ

Lastly, an interview with Sam Fogarino, the drummer in the video:
    https://youtu.be/kdr5v3HWCqg

• D2Lo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    BP9080x's were just reviewed by Sound and Vision... they will be on the cover of the issue that hits news stands this week:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/definitive-technology-bp9080x-speaker-system-review#hzcVqe8crgFmx6XV.97

bqpclrdqhfke.jpg

• mantis
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    How do they hold up against the mythos st or sts?
    I did a lot of A B C D back and forth with the ST , STS , 8060 and 8080 and I can say this, they are damn fine speakers even compared to the Mighty ST's. I don't feel they are better or I would own them myself but if I didn't have ST's I would own the 8080's all day. They are remarkable in all kinds of ways.
    I also feel they are much better then everything Polk offers.
    Dan
  • D2Lo
    Options
    I'm curious what you would think of the 9080x @mantis
  • mantis
    Options
    I have not played with them yet. But if I do I will post all about it.
    They are Def Tech so I'm sure they are at very least great.
    Dan
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Options
    Theres a pair of 8040's with matching center for $600 on CL, this thread makes me want to go buy them right now. I liked my Mythos STS a lot when I had them I might have to do it.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Options
    Honestly I haven't even been on in forever, didn't know anything about it. I'll check and see, it's definitely long overdue. Gettin the itch for some new speakers or gear so I popped back in.