Options
    Thats Awesome!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    1) We'll see...

2) "If you have to ask..." (I know I won't be able to...)

(excuse my cynicism -- I do wish 'em well, but...)
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Where in the hell are the VU meters????? Come on!!!!!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    The unit is supposed to sell for around $4,500.00 and just be a playback only deck, no record, no erase and consequently no VU meter monitoring. Just an extremely stable tape transport with some kind of controlled tape tension system and the best playback head available (Studer design). It is mean to satisfy the growing prerecorded tape enthusiast market.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Oh. I'll take two than.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In total seriousness -- I'd be more inclined to spend 4500 Samoleums for one of those than the same amount for the new production SL-1200 turntable.

I didn't realize that the intended sale price was so reasonable (I expected the 10 to 20 kilobuck neighborhood) -- and I'm not being facetious. In this day and age, that sounds not too bad. It is gorgeous, too.

The media cost for current-production recorded tapes today is pretty high, though.

Maybe I should fire up the Otari & start a little cottage business dubbing...?
    I'm sure the RIAA wouldn't mind...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's a bit of the "chicken and the egg" syndrome, somebody starts making and selling something, in this case high quality prerecorded tapes, and somebody else starts refurbishing old Studer and ATR decks for the well-heeled buyer. There's fewer and fewer people able to repair these decks and longer waiting lists. So, someone comes up with an idea to make a deck from scratch.
    When I first started collecting 2 track and master tape copies there were plenty of old decks you could buy that were pretty good. Once The Tape Project started the novel idea of leasing the original tapes and making good quality copies with deluxe boxes and customized reels the market for upscale decks quickly increased. The next step was high end playback electronics from Manley, Bottlehead, Dehavilland and Charles King to begin the usual upgrade spiral. Other people were collecting older tube electronics that had good tape head sections, Audio Research SP2, Fisher 500 series and Pilot P210 integrated for example. It was logical that some enterprising people are building a new machine. I sort of expected Australia to be the first, there's a guy there who sells a wide range of refurbishing kits. I wouldn't be surprised if Technics doesn't enter the market once again and maybe Teac as well. Sony's too far off the rails to revive their units. And it wouldn't take much for Otari to begin again, they produced decks up until only a few years ago.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That'd be Otari, Ken.

16151700256_6657fda6fe_b.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Atari was never in the tape biz, AFAIK.

;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course, the Irish tape deck company O'tari.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Top of the pinch roller to ya! Some of the Irish brand tapes came with a "four leaf clover" cutout of the 7" reel openings. Great story.