Looking for Dreadnaught

I am going to be needing a dreadnaught cable for a pair of SDA 3.1 TL's so that I can run them with a pair of Carver 7t monoblocks. If anyone has one, or is making them...let me know!
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
Thorens TD320
Modified Carver C-1
Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Sent you a PM
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    If still looking after speaking with MrB, David Shirly makes them - @westmassguy
    http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/
    I disabled signatures.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited May 2016
    I have spoken with MrB. He told me about Westmass guy as well. I had never looked for these before, so I didn't realize the expense that goes into building them.

I may look more towards a more inexpensive AI-1 cable if I can find one.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I have an AI-1 that I purchased from Polk Audio around the turn of the century. I'm using it with my 3.1TL's
    I too would like a dreadnaught but have no idea the cost. What are we talking about?
  • trav0810
    I'm hearing prices of 225-275

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Is that with an 800kva transformwr or the much harder to find 1000kva?
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    The cost depends on your choices with respect to the transformer, enclosure, binding posts/connectors and spikes or feet.

If you go with all new parts -- including Larry's enclosure, Neutrik Speak On connectors and a Toroid Corporation (Maryland-based and "Made in America," you may be able to build one for $300 or so.

If you go withLarry's enclosure, Cardas binding posts (for example) and the Avel-Lindberg 1000VA transformer that has been the one preferred here, you're going to be over $400.

Your choice of spikes or feet can add a little (rubber feet) or spikes a lot, depending on your choice.

If you decide to go with a custom fabricated enclosure, the sky is the limit. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Just to clarify, the Avel-Lindberg 1000VA audio grade transformer is a special order only item with a minimum order of 10. The 1000VA version listed on their site is not to be used for audio.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    It looks like I am going to be able to forgo this purchase until I can find a really, really good deal. For now I will just be strapping the monoblocks.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    I'd offer some sage advice, but since you didn't ask......

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    Unless your advice is where I can get a free one, it won't help me much!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    Well, the advice is free.

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    Then lay it on me.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    Do it in stages. When you have the money buy the 800VA tranny, mount it to a board and wire it up with whatever speaker cable or hook up wire you may have laying around. The Neutrik connectors are pretty cheap, but be sure to get the 4 pole version. That will at least get you the advantage of the transformer, which is a vast improvement over strapping. Down the road buy a case and better cable.

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    That sounds like a good plan. Approximately what does the tranny run?

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • F1nut
    I have a note from 2013 that the Y236906 (800VA) was $117.48 plus shipping.

Another temp idea, cover the tranny with a cardboard box with 10 layers of aluminum foil covering the box. This will help deal with EMI/RF issues.

President of Club Polk

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    When I bought my 800 v/a the price shipped was about $133 for reference.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• trav0810
    edited October 2016
    I ended up acquiring one if these babies from a VERY cool guy I met at this year's Carverfest. I got it installed I to my system yesterday and the difference was immediately noticeable. I don't know any of the engineering concepts behind it, so I don't know how this is possible, but it really opened up the soundstage compared to what I was getting with the cheap cable I was using and strapping the two 7t amplifiers together.

Thank you Jerry for your amazing generosity!
    Post edited by trav0810 on

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • Good for you! Yep, strapping just never seems to sound right.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels