Dynamat info needed

Options
Been thinking of dynamiting the inside of my Cary slp03, I have some dynamat extreme lying around and thought why not? Plan was to put it on the bare sections of the preamps floor. There is only one spot on the top of the cover I can put the dynamat so it doesn't cover the vents.

Question is, this thing gets very warm, when in use, will this stuff reduce heat dissipation? My concern is it being on the top cover. I have it well ventilated 5 inches of space above the unit and open on all sides. I'm thinking the cover acts as a heat sink, so wondering if the dynamat will interfere somehow.

I will post some pics here in a bit of the insides and top.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Don't cover the vents and there will be no problems.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Yeah I think I'm over thinking this.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Keep the vent holes open, make sure installed pieces don't interfere with electronics or tubes, make sure pieces don't interfere with cover reassembly. I know you can downthink this dude!

It gets pretty toasty in there, and I have this fear the stuff on the top might fall down. It is not in the way of tubes what so ever, and I planned on using only a little, not going to fill this nice pre amp to the t.i.t.s with dynamat either.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How about just a nice Iso platform

You can also call Upscale Audio, they are authorized for modding Cary
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    How about just a nice Iso platform

You can also call Upscale Audio, they are authorized for modding Cary

I almost got my hands on a magnetic isolation platform, but the seller wanted too much, so I started thinking... It is on a 20lb piece of granite right now. Would cost me a fortune to send the Cary to them from Canada. I like the isolation idea the best.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    It gets pretty toasty in there, and I have this fear the stuff on the top might fall down. It is not in the way of tubes what so ever, and I planned on using only a little, not going to fill this nice pre amp to the t.i.t.s with dynamat either.
    You could run it a while and check it from time to time? I've tried other mastic product that seems to lift or fall after a while, so, concern warranted, but Dynamat Extreme seems to stay put in my experience so far. It seems stickier than other stuff I've tried.

As added insurance, at application time, be sure to wipe the application area with high concentration ISO alcohol, or some other kind of evaporative degreaser, perhaps?

Or if super freaked out, just stick it on the outside, redneck style :#
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Dynamat Extreme is made for car applications.... and it holds up in Texas summers. You will be fine.

I bet that Granite is doing no good for your sound unless you really need the harsh top end it brings with it.

This is good info, I will remove the granite and see what sound it sounds like after removal. I might try a set of vibrapod cones under it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    dfxjl7zp0h3n.jpeg

I only had one 10x10 sheet to work with (given to me from a friend), this is the lid of my pre, I haven't used this product before, I now have no worries of heat causing it to come loose. It sticks really, really, well. This thing rings like a bell, despite being a very heavy lid, I've popped the top on many electronics and this is the heaviest.

Will grab a couple sheets this week. Decided to put the rest on the outside of the bottom of the pre, instead of inside. I will remove the granite as per @dskip recommendation, and add 4 vibrapod cones instead.

As I've read before a little goes a long way with this stuff! I'm shocked at how deadened the top is. I won't be able to listen critically until the weekend. So we will see what improvements (if any) this mod has made.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I forgot that the SLP03 had a lid. The dynamat should definitely help
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I have found in my experiments that once a product is deadened well with dynamat the plinth it sits on plays little to no part in the sound.

Skip would this apply to the granite as well? Obviously I will be experimenting, just curious.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Ok, so after treating the bottom, and spending several hours with my system today, I'm pretty surprised what dynamat can do. I seemed to have this background fuzz at higher volumes on quiet passages, this is now gone! I'm learning we would call this a blacker back ground. This thing is dead quiet now, I popped my nos RCA 5814A triple micas in that were a little micro phonic, threw a damper ring on the top mica, and put it all back together, no more noise, and seems bass is now super tight and controlled. The top of the Cary no longer vibrates, and this extra smoothness to the tweeter has come with it. I'm going to say Dskip was right on this one, with the granite adding some harshness to the top end.

Sweet! Going to think on a way to do my mono blocks as well. Although things are sounding so good, I should leave it, and stop messing around. But what's the fun in that?
    2 channel:
    Theater: