Mainlining - the Bottlehead way

2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I do need supervision!

Me too! I've been voiding the warranty on my car of late with add ons.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I do need supervision!

Me too! I've been voiding the warranty on my car of late with add ons.

Smell good trees on the rearview mirror doesn't count as an add on, Rich. Your warranty should be fine.
  • SCompRacer
    lightman1 wrote: »

Smell good trees on the rearview mirror doesn't count as an add on, Rich. Your warranty should be fine.

That's the old way! I'm into Air Wick's in the 120v port!

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Mr. SCompRacer...

Next project might be an Eros. Now that I've heard what BH can do with a headphone amp I'm pretty sure I can get a bump in sound by replacing the Reduction with the Eros.

What parafeed caps did you use? What size?

This isn't going to happen for a bit - that bathroom project has to get done first.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Do you get frequent flyer miles from BH with all your purchases?

So does this beat the stand alone crack, crack with speedball, AND the BAC?
    I have no intentions of upgrading as my crack goes unused (says the straight guy) and has been collecting dust for a while. Hmm...i think i figured out my Friday night.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    The very short version is HECK YA! It's not like the Crack and/or BAC is deficient in anyway. Running headphones on the Mainline is like cleaning your glasses after wearing them dirty for a few days. It's amazing what detail is really out there.

My go-to album is Pink Floyd "The Wall". I've listened to that 1000's of times and there should be no surprises. Bongo's...I think I heard bongo's on a track. Never noticed that before!

The headphones that are really shining are the MrSpeakers Alpha Primes. Had to run those on the S.E.X. amp as they are low impedance. I've parked the HD650's for now.

I'm not sure if having an unused Crack is good....or bad....? :o
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2016
    Mr. SCompRacer...

Next project might be an Eros. Now that I've heard what BH can do with a headphone amp I'm pretty sure I can get a bump in sound by replacing the Reduction with the Eros.

What parafeed caps did you use? What size?

I knew an Eros would be in your future! :)

I used .33uf Sonicap Platinum's for couplers. Of course your values will depend on pre amp input impedance for that -3db corner frequency. Jeff took into account the Budgie SUT and Eros IIRC. .33uf is pretty low, lower than the BH suggested lowest of .47uf, but no issues. Jeff was spot on. IIRC my ARC Ref 3 SE input impedance is 300K Ohms.

Our favorite go to for the math....

http://www.v-cap.com/coupling-capacitor-calculator.php

PF/ The Wall...a short, great one note system resolution test is in Pink Floyd / The Wall; The simultaneous kick drum/choked snare at the beginning of The Happiest Days Of Our Lives. It's amazing what a good system will play. ;)

I make voiding the warranty look good too, even on my work car...

tint_2.jpg
  • ALL212
    I'm kinda surprised to didn't repaint it black and put "EROS" along the side of it!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    I'm kinda surprised to didn't repaint it black and put "EROS" along the side of it!!

Following my ruskie heritage, this is Svetlana, my silver wench.