CSI A6 - one of the two speakers does nothing...can I fix myself?

Options
g42
g42 Posts: 20
edited May 2016 in Troubleshooting
Is it likely the speaker itself or what else should I look for? I ask because the repair shop is 100 miles away and I just can't get there. Would I be able to diagnose, get parts, and fix this myself?

As I said, of the 2 larger speakers(not the tweeter), the right one fucntions normally, the right one does nothing at all.

As far as parts go, I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• g42
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Check the binding post nuts for tightness, if one's loose it won't contact the jumper strap correctly and thus cut out one of the woofers. That is where I'd be looking first.

Thanks for the reply. I double checked, and all connections are tight and correct.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    One driver plays a limited frequency range compared to the other and therefore may seem like it is not putting out the same level of sound because it is not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• g42
    Options
    It's definitely doing nothing. Just yesterday all dialogue from any source suddenly sounded really weak and empty so I took the grill off and paid close attention to what the center channel is doing(along with confirming all settings on receiver are correct). It's very noticeably audible that the center channel is not right.
  • F1nut
    Options
    In that case I suspect a wire became disconnected. Remove the driver that isn't making sound to inspect for that issue.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• g42
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    In that case I suspect a wire became disconnected. Remove the driver that isn't making sound to inspect for that issue.

Thanks for the reply. I finally got a chance to take it apart, and all wires are firmly connected. This is ridiculous. There's no apparent reason why this driver should be totally dead.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Stuff happens.

Ok, so now swap the +/- wires from the known good driver to the dead one. If the "dead" driver is still dead then you have a bad driver.

President of Club Polk