Look what followed me home from citywide garage sale event.

Guy gave me a great deal on them. Said they were custom built for his friend and never used. Friend paid $1600 to have them built. Cherry wood veneer and weigh about 90 pounds each. No speakers have ever been installed in them. 47" tall by 15" deep and 10" wide. Driver hole is 5 7/8" . It's my anniversary today so I was scared to bring them in the house! Any ideas for me to complete them? I thought of keeping an eye out on eBay for some top notch drivers and crossover with damaged cabinets. As always any and all help would be appreciated. Peace. Dgtspagw09q0y.jpeg
8l328o59lxtw.jpeg
anlwbny1ra99.jpeg
kg7wvl84oybx.jpeg
gv1k4loz20iy.jpeg
drk5hz2ku469.jpeg
xtv4tojm5or3.jpeg
4izuggx9t1oc.jpeg
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Those are dead sexy...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Looks like they're ported on the front bottom? AFAIK, you're going to have to figure out internal space and possibly what frequency the ports are tuned for and then find an exact or very close to drivers to put in there.

...or just throw in whatever and see how it sounds. :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I would google search one of those pictures to see if they weren't for a kit build of sorts.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Great idea. How do you google search a photo? Thanks. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Buy a pair of ab805 or 855's on the auction site and put the components in. I did it with a pair of Ls-50 cabinets and they sounds surprisingly good. For about 100 bucks it's a cheap experiment.
  • nooshinjohn
    skrol wrote: »
    Bet they sound nice and airy

......sorry

Those are some neat cabinets.

And efficient. I bet a headphone amp could drive them
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Nice cabs. If you can't get the info and specs drivers and xover info for which the cabs were spec'ed for, post the pics on DIY. I'm sure they can get you pointed in the right direction.

I'm going to assume that the driver screw holes were spec'ed for specific drivers. Those cabs are to nice to gerry rig, do some homework I think they will be worth it.

Maybe once you get the info you can have Dave help you or build out the xovers for you.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
  • Dabutcher
    Seems like the thickness of the MDF is 1 1/2" thick! No wonder each speakers weighs about 90 pounds. All for a song and dance. Twenty bones. Thanks for all the help. Peace. D
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What size drivers fit in the openings?
  • lightman1
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Said they were custom built for his friend and never used. Friend paid $1600 to have them built.

Given the amount paid to have them built and the fixed nature, size-wise, of the drivers they will accept, the guy who had them built obviously had specific drivers in mind for them. Can't the selling friend find out from his friend what drivers he was having them built for? Seems only logical that the one having them built for that kind of coin, with that level of detail and workmanship, had a pretty sweet end product in mind...unless he went all PFB ("Ready!...Fire!...Aim!") for the project.

They look pretty fine, D, hope they work out for you.

• nooshinjohn
    I am betting on Seas...

• lightman1
    ^^^^+ .5
    Check cu.ft. against Q and Vas.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    What is the cabinet volume?

The tweeter recess, is it 4"?

These may drop in, but you'll still need to choose a tweeter and design a crossover.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-7-woofers-sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-sb16pfc25-8-6-paper-cone-woofer/
    Madisound can design you a crossover that will get you close, if not right on point. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/crossover-design/leap-crossover-designs-by-madisound/
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    more importantly, what are you going to name them when you are done? :*
  • Dabutcher
    I had an idea to buy some higher end speakers with same size cabinets and damaged cabinets? Focal , Sonus Farber, LsiM's. Any other sires to look besides ebay? Peace. D
  • Dabutcher
    Great idea. Checked with owner. He said it was 10-15 years since they were made and company has gone out of business that he was going to purchase drivers from. He had some paperwork originally but could not find it. Peace. D
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I swear I've seen that cabinet design somewhere on the interwebs as a DIY project - have you checked in with Danny Ritchie at GR Research? He might have an idea what they were designed for/by, and would certainly have some driver recommendations.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I hope this ends up like the rebuilt 78 el camino I was looking at today.
    I labor of love but kick azz when done. :D
  • MrBuhl
    edited May 2016
    Reminds me a little of the Rauna Ymer speakers.

These guys might be able to help - no affiliation, just googled it.

https://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Home/8563,en

Post edited by MrBuhl on
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Dabutcher
    Sounds like they are Paragon Acoustic Regents. yepyoc7yvhwn.png
  • MrBuhl
    Bingo!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    May contact Miller Sound to see if you can get exact specs for these speakers. They refurb Dynaudio drivers and may be familiar with the Paragon.

If you can get the specs Miller or Madisound may be able to get you up and running.

By the reviews may be worth the effort.

GL
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dabutcher
    I am not getting rid of my SDA's in my main HT set up. And my living room is small. 12'x12'. I have M70's in there now. I think even though I love these , no room for them. So I will be offering them up for sale. Local or I can meet. Twin Cities. Mn. Thank you all for the help Peace. D